Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Smile No Power,No Coffee?

A poster mentioned his cord didn't reach and they did without coffee the next morning.. We use one of those new chinese stainless percs,works well,too,so we don't have that problem. Cowboy coffee is the answer. As my dad taught me : In any old pot,one tablespoon of ground coffee per cup(mug) of water,bring to just a boil,a splash of cold water to settle the grounds. Strong,kinda chewy, but not bitter .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
A poster mentioned his cord didn't reach and they did without coffee the next morning.. We use one of those new chinese stainless percs,works well,too,so we don't have that problem. Cowboy coffee is the answer. As my dad taught me : In any old pot,one tablespoon of ground coffee per cup(mug) of water,bring to just a boil,a splash of cold water to settle the grounds. Strong,kinda chewy, but not bitter .
My wife complains if I put 3 tablespoons of ground coffee in for 12 cups! Too strong for her.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We use a stovetop expresso maker...works great with a gas stove and puts hair on your chest in the morning
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #4

I took the under-counter coffee maker out. We do more camping without power than with.
I have gotten pretty good at making perked coffee. Get the water boiling, then add the coffee and turn the fire down to perk slow.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #5

It's difficult to make good perked coffee with these burners,even turned down to minimal,they are too hot to get that real slow,slow perk. Our 3 burner stove has one rack across the top,so we slide the pot off the flame some. It's much easier using the propane Coleman stove outside,those white gas style "Band of Blue" burners are amazing.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we don't have power, we heat water in the tea kettle on the stove, and use the Mellita to make drip coffee. Much faster than perking.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
yup good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
When we don't have power, we heat water in the tea kettle on the stove, and use the Mellita to make drip coffee. Much faster than perking.
I started using one in europe and it is just right for camping without power; simple and fool-proof
Old 07-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #8

Coleman makes a regular drip type coffee maker that a stove burner instead of electricity to heat the water. http://http://www.amazon.com/Coleman...n+coffee+maker I originally got one for boondocking, but it works so well that I don't bother taking an electric one along. You can often find them at Walmart.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF your friend is using an automatic drip coffee maker I have good news for him.

Heat water to boiling in a teakettle, Put the coffee in the maker same as usual, put the caraf in the think as usual but LEAVE THE LID UP on the coffee basket (note if it's swing out basket this wont' work, but he may be able to modify these instructions)

SLOWLY pour the hot water over the grounds Simulating how the thing works normally.

NOTE: Melita sells a "Single cup" coffee maker that is nothing more than a holder for a #2 cone filter that sits atop the cup, You pour boiling water over it,, Same as above. So I did not come up with this method.. They did.

Of course.. I have an inverter (My auto drip job works even if cord too short).
Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #10

We have an old fashioned perk pot from Wal*Mart for where there's no electricity. It makes better coffee than any drip pot. I would use it all the time but it takes too much time and has to be watched.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
I have gotten pretty good at making perked coffee. Get the water boiling, then add the coffee and turn the fire down to perk slow.
If you're using a percolator always add the coffee before you put the water on to boil, the slow steady build of steam as the water approaches boiling point penetrates and softens the grounds.

That's what gives it the rich mellow flavour.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We use a stovetop expresso maker...works great with a gas stove and puts hair on your chest in the morning
Both of ya ?

Not sure I want to see that !
Old 07-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Coleman makes a regular drip type coffee maker that a stove burner instead of electricity to heat the water. http://http://www.amazon.com/Coleman...n+coffee+maker I originally got one for boondocking, but it works so well that I don't bother taking an electric one along. You can often find them at Walmart.

Joel
And they do make pretty good coffee. We normally use our Keurig, but once in a while we fire the Coleman up, especially if we do not want to run the generator.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a teenager I went rock hounding with an old prospector. He had a 2 gal porcelain coffee pot. When we got to camp he would fill it up with water, poor in a pound of coffee, and add a rock and set in the fire pit.. I asked what’s the rock for? He said when it floats its done. We were gone over a week, he just added water and re boiled daily. It was great.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote