RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Noisy A/C

I have a 2017 Coleman Lantern 202rd, love the layout, it is perfect for my wife and I. Yeah, its a cheap camper, but I figure I can fix a lot of issues cheaper than buying a premium unit for my use. There is three items that I don't like, and have solved one of them. The shower, like most TT's is small, I installed a curved shower rod like hotels use (had to cut it down quit a bit) makes a world of difference! The second issue is not as easy, the toilet is cramed tightly between the vanity and the door (at least you don't have to worry about falling off it! LOL!) Which I may change to a pedastal vanity to solve that problem. But right now, the biggest issue I want to solve, is the noisy air conditioner. The blower produces hurricane force wind, along with the noise, even on low. You cannot have a normal conversation with it on. I'm looking at replacing it with a Dometic Brisk Air II that supposedly is quieter. The problem is, I cannot find anywhere that gives the noise specs (sones) on it.
B59516.XX1J0 Brisk Air Ii
Does anyone have this unit? And how noisy is it?

hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #2

Was kinda nervous about Camping World being $200+ dollars cheaper than Amazon, finally found some reviews that say it is noisy too. Probably why CW has it on sale. Anybody got any suggestions on what other brand or model will work? 14x14 hole.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
What brand is your current air conditioner ?
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:38 AM   #4

IMHO , one of the issues with these conditioners is the lack of, what I think is called laminar flow. If you remove the decorative cover and look up into the blower area you will, more than likely find an irregular path for airflow. Anything you can do to smooth this path without deceasing the volume of air will decrease the level of noise.

Also, it is my opinion that RV’s with quiet AC’s owe their noise level to having the AC ducted to outlet grills remote from the location of the AC unit.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:36 AM   #5

Is the AC ducted? If not ducted it will he loud. What you might try is look at how the AC is mounted. You might try adding bracing somehow to the mounting area. I think part of the noise is vibration. Thinking if you can reduce the vibration you can reduce the noise.

There are also some YouTube videos on how to quiet an RV AC unit.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 AM   #6

No vibration, just a lot of wind noise, the fan speed is very high even on low. The exsisting is also a Dometic, but the cheapest one Coleman could get. It is a 13,000 btu, the one I was looking at is a 15,000 btu. The "Test" reports on the internet say its the quietest, but like everything else on the internet, you can't really trust it. Don't want to plop down $700, and still have a noisy A/C. It is non-ducted, which I know makes it louder. (I have two ducted units on my class A, much quieter) I know I will not get as quiet, but the fan speed is ridiculous!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:17 AM   #7

I have a 2018 Keystone Bullet. I'd bet my a/c is louder than yours. I can barely sleep through the noise. It'll be nice to camp in a milder climate where I won't need to run the a/c.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Check out this sound insulation cover for Dometic MCS T6.

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...mcs-sc-_-82968

Not sure if this kit works with your model ... but there are many kits out there to quiet RV A/C units ... may want to look at this before forking over the cash for a new one.

Also note there are kits to better control motor speed as well ... instead of being limited to low and high settings only.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #9

There are silencer kits out there depending on what model Dometic you have.
https://wackoproducts.com/product/do...-a-c-silencer/

Dometic A/C Grommet and Anti-Vibration Kit - Air Conditioner Repair Parts - Air Conditioners - RV Appliances
https://www.environmentalmarine.com/...QaArM2EALw_wcB
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahEngineer View Post
Check out this sound insulation cover for Dometic MCS T6.

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...mcs-sc-_-82968

Not sure if this kit works with your model ... but there are many kits out there to quiet RV A/C units ... may want to look at this before forking over the cash for a new one.

Also note there are kits to better control motor speed as well ... instead of being limited to low and high settings only.
Looks like that kit covers the compressor, the compressor is not that bad noisy, with controling the fan speed, I could do that, but it may cause the coil to freeze over if the rated cfm is not met. I may just have to tear it appart and modify the flow like others have suggested. I removed the vent deflectors, which did help to a small degree.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #11

I have 3 Brisk Air II units ... they are less noisy than previous models but definitely not quiet. Your issue is a result of non-ducted installation. Don't waste your money on a new unit .... it will still have air noise. You may want to ensure the wiring (topside in unit) is actually wired for low speed fan use.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I have 3 Brisk Air II units ... they are less noisy than previous models but definitely not quiet. Your issue is a result of non-ducted installation. Don't waste your money on a new unit .... it will still have air noise. You may want to ensure the wiring (topside in unit) is actually wired for low speed fan use.
Whats funny, is my 1985 Prowler that has the original non ducted Coleman, is quieter! You would think modern A/C's would be far more advanced by now.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

Ok, got home from work tonight, decided to do a few tests, had suprising results, and I think I have a direction to go in now. The unit on low speed was 72-75 db. Changing fan speed did not yield a major increase in db.
The frequency was bouncing around from 0 to 500 hz! Removed the inside cover, noise only reduced to 70 db, but frequency had dropped to 100 hz. Irritation factor was greatly reduced even though the db level was still at a vacuum cleaner level. The supply plenum was offset from the blower plenum by about two inches, so this is probably causing a lot of turbulence in the air flow. Installing something to smooth this transition may reduce the frequency. Probably will install a wireless wall control too, because my wife can't reach the controls without a step stool!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:27 AM   #14

Following this. I have a Coleman mach that is treating me the same! Drives my wife nuts! It's hard to have conversations!

KyleC is offline   Reply With Quote