Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

Noobie water question

So if my fresh water tank and water heater tank are both empty, and I hook up to my "city water" connection, will I get water everywhere without filling the fresh tank?

Will the hot water tank also fill, or does that only work when I have water in my fresh tank turn my pump on?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcan View Post
So if my fresh water tank and water heater tank are both empty, and I hook up to my "city water" connection, will I get water everywhere without filling the fresh tank?

Will the hot water tank also fill,
Yes, Yes.

No need to fill tank, just make sure that any valves are in the correct position.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #3

generally yes, tell what model trailer you have and the year.

Jim
Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
generally yes, tell what model trailer you have and the year.
Jim
It's a 2007 Nash 17b. Thanks!

So we can enjoy hot showers and flush out toilet etc without filling our on board water tank. It's like we have two seperate water systems?

Reason I'm asking is that we will likely travel from CG to CG, so I thought I would just carry a little water in my tanks for emergency use, rather than haul a full water tank around.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

As long as your water heater is not on "bypass" (winterized setting), then yes, as soon as you hook up to the water pedestal and turn on the water, the WH will fill. You can hear it filling, generally, if you're standing by it on the outside of the TT when you turn the water on.

There is no need to fill your fresh water tank at all if you have water hookups.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Ok thanks all! This will be our first cruise in the new to us unit - planning to go to a CG not too far away (few hours away) for a trial run, and if all looks good, we'll carry on a little further up the road for another several days...!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #7

Oops should have said Nash 19b. If that makes a difference.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #8

If your fresh water system is empty (including the water heater), when connected to a hydrant for the first time, the air needs to be purged out of the lines or you will get pressurized air out of the faucets when opened. Especially from the hot water lines--if the water heater was empty. Do not turn the water heater on if it is not full.
To purge the air, simply connect to the water source and go thru the trailer opening faucets starting at the nearest to the connection til the water stream is solid. This will waste some water but will keep you from some some surprising pressure bursts of air when first turning on the faucets. If you haven't drained up from the last use, the system should be ok to use without purging.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

Wingnut60 brings up a good point, make sure the water heater is off if empty. I turn off the gas switch by the sink and the electric switch on the outside of the tank BEFORE disconnecting water. Water can boil out of the tank and burn up the electric element. I had water in the tank and noticed a wet spot by the trailer from the pressure relief valve when I had it plugged in to keep the battery charged at home. I caught it before I boiled all the water out. I now hook up and purge the air from all my faucets before turning on the water heater. I use gas for the initial heating as the A/C is drawing pretty good to beat the Florida heat when I first hook up. After that, I use the CGs electric. When I break camp, I turn off the electric element before disconnecting the water.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #10

Yes, but leave a hot faucet open the purge the air while the tank fills.
6 gallons takes a few minutes.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #11

I find that if you check open the T&P valve that the HW tank will fill very quickly. When water comes out the T&P snap the valve closed then start opening the faucet (can do both hot and cold at the same time if you want) inside of the camper until the water comes out of the faucets. I drain the HW tank using the T&P also.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #12

Good idea on the t&p valve, my luck it would start leaking...
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #13

Noobie water question

I'm pretty sure a hot water tank needs an air gap to counteract expansion and contraction from the heating cycles. If you open the pressure release valve when filling you are eliminating the air gap. I think if you read your hw tank manual it tells you that. At least mine does.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #14

Drinking water

Tying in another question to this thread....

What does the typical person do for drinking water in their RV? Drink it right out of the city hookup unfiltered? Bottled water? Hose, filter, faucet? I am curious due to a slight concern after our last trip. I'm kinda funny about my water, and the campground had a notice about their continuing attempts to clean up their water; they had no boil order, just a notice stating that they were continuing attempts to clean it up (if I recall correctly, it was elevated levels of coliform bacteria). I always use a Camco filter after the hose right as it goes into the trailer, then further filter it again for drinking through a Brita pitcher/filter. I didn't put any of this water in the tanks, but still wondering how much filtering anyone else uses.....In this day and age, should one just drink bottled water when camping and use the "fresh" water for bathing and washing only?

ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water