Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Norcold fridge update

I have been trying to improve both the performance and safety of my Norcold 621. Pretty common fridge.
I was experiencing long initial cool down times and slow recovery when opening the door a lot. Some areas were colder than others in the main compartment. There was a substantial amount of ice build up on trips of a month or longer. Defrosting a fridge didn't seem like a task to do on vacation. Seeing the fire problem with these types of units also concerned me. I like to roast marshmallows outside not siting at the dinette.
I explored several products to fix these shortcomings. To address the fire safety issue I installed an ARP fridge control unit with the optional fan control. This product will limit the temp of the unit with a sensor that is mounted on the flue. Seemed to make sense and it works well. To address the uneven cooling inside I added a Fridge Fix interior fan that blows air across the cooling fins at the back of the cooling section. This unit has made the temp even and has eliminated the frost problem. When I turn the unit off I have no more water to wipe up than a single napkin will hold. It also speeds up the initial and subsequent cooling periods by blowing the air on the fins and transferring the cold more quickly. I am planning a trip over Memorial Day and from the time I turned the unit on until it reached normal operating temp was just under 5 hours which is the new normal. It does no good to turn your control to a max setting because the cooling unit is temp controlled so it can't be forced to cool faster than normal. All you can do is to increase the efficiency. To address the efficiency I added 2 Corsair 120mm fans to my upper roof vent. These fans are controlled by a sensor from the ARP. They both suck air from below and exhaust it out the upper roof vent. The purpose of these fans is to remove the heat buildup from the cooling process and make the fridge more efficient by improving the heat transfer, which is the main objective. Both the interior fan and the exterior fans are wired into the ARP fan control circuit and they only operate when the fridge is producing coolant, the only time they need to run.
The installation of these three items is not complicated and it has improved my performance more than I anticipated.
I thought it was time to give this final update because most of us are heading out on adventures in the hot summer temps that we all wait for. I don't know about about you but my grand daughter likes hard ice cream and I now don't have to disappoint.
If you are having issues then try these solutions, you will be satisfied. Have a great summer!

09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
This is my second year with the interior fans. Agree, they do an excellent job of distributing the cold air and keeping frost from forming on the cooling fins. Just need to re-position them every once in a while. Left to right to keep the build up under control. Works great.

Need to invest in the other two for better protection and higher efficiency.

John Price
2016 Denali 289RK w/a Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
I had a problem with ice build up at door seals, and found the door locks that were installed by Fleetwood to keep my frig closed on the road were misaligned.

I had to remove the wood block that held them in place and shave off the side a little. This worked for awhile, then the problem came back.

I found my frig was shifting from the road movement and since the locks were mounted on the wood trim framing, and the blocks on top of the frig door, it was allowing the locks to pull the door open just slightly.

My last fix was to mussel the frig back in position where the locks worked. I still have to inspect it after a road trip, but it seems to be holding in place now.

I'm sure this could be the same problem some others are having, and it's not very easy to figure it out at first. So just thought I'd put it out there.

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"I was experiencing long initial cool down times"

How long?

Mine is about 12 hours and I consider that normal.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

fridge, norcold