Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
I believe you completely, but that is a sad state of affairs for the RV industry with regards to such a "mission critical" component of a TT. I realize accident/tragedies and failures occur, but peoples lives are at stake here and for failure to properly assemble such a critical component which can fail to such an extent when no improper use of the equipment was involved, to me, is not acceptable. I am very fortunate to have avoided a very nasty accident. thanks again for your insight

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriandmark View Post
would a double axle rig be "safer" on the road if the same bearing failure would occur to one wheel.? when i bought the ascend 191RB i could not help but wonder if i should not have purchased a double axle unit, but my wife preferred the smaller unit. It just seemed to me a more stable setup in general to have 2 axles.
Just two more wheel bearings to fail. The wheel could still come off and the axle hit the pavement. JMHO

More importantly you need to know how much weight the TT is able to hold and make sure it's not overloaded. In that case if the single axle is OVLed a tandem axle might be the route to go.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #17

I don't know about you but part of my walk around is to thump the tires. The other part is to lay a hand on the hubs. If I want to get technical I use a non contact IR thermometer. Bad bearing, dragging brakes and probably a lot of other things show up as heat.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
A word of caution... put your hand or finger close to the hub and if you can feel heat, just get closer to see if it intensifies... I burned the crap outa my finger once on a hot hub...... and..... Welcome to the group! Glad your experience wasn't worse.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #20

As previously stated, checking hub temps is something that should be done regularly. Since your TT is less than a year old I would expect the manufacture to be responsible for the repairs.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI

My Son had bought a brand new Weekend Warrior. He asked me to flip the axles because he was afraid the plumbing would drag going off road. In the process of doing the work I discovered that there was NO grease in any of the bearings nor any in the suspension parts even though they all had zerk fittings.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #22

Evergreen Owners Club
well it's official, the cause of the near tragedy was a defective outer wheel bearing. there was plenty of grease(that was perhaps evident by the strong odor of burning grease) present. this is a very rare event to occur on a less than one year new unit. Despite the very knowledgeable comments and suggestions on this matter which i really appreciate, I must say that the vast majority of RV owners who have their units routinely serviced would not think it is necessary to be checking hub temps and bearing status on a frequent basis. But certainly, for safety sake, it is not a bad idea. I plan on switching to a tandem axle unit anyway as i would just feel a bit more secure in that setting. Any more thoughts on this would be great. thanks again
Old 08-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriandmark View Post
Despite the very knowledgeable comments and suggestions on this matter which i really appreciate, I must say that the vast majority of RV owners who have their units routinely serviced would not think it is necessary to be checking hub temps and bearing status on a frequent basis. But certainly, for safety sake, it is not a bad idea.
Maybe I'm just paranoid... or maybe it's my training as an A&P mechanic... but I always check everything before leaving, at 10 - 20 miles down the road, and then about every hour for the rest of the trip. I just HATE being beside the road with the wind from the semis mussing my silver locks...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Maybe I'm just paranoid... or maybe it's my training as an A&P mechanic... but I always check everything before leaving, at 10 - 20 miles down the road, and then about every hour for the rest of the trip. I just HATE being beside the road with the wind from the semis mussing my silver locks...
I couldn't agree more.

I caught many things this way over the years (not just RV related) before they became a problem.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #25

Every time you stop, it should become a routine to walk around the trailer, put the back of a hand on the tire and the hub. I have tire pressure monitors that also monitor temperature, but still I touch the tires (can't access the hubs) and the center of the wheels.
Getting a tandem alxe unit will afford a safety factor on what may happen if a bearing fails--but, I don't think ANY of the trailer mfgs design their suspensions with enough safety factor in tires and axles due to cost factors--they all just put together what barely meets federal minimums for carrying the actual weights. It is up to you to weigh your complete rig as it is for camping and be sure you are not only within all weight limits, but have a +20% margin.
Also, upsizing to a tandem axle unit usually equates to more weight, so be sure you tow vehicle is up to it. You will be happier with a tandem axle over a single axle as to how it tows.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #26

Evergreen Owners Club
yep, already worked out a deal to trade in and upgrade to tandem axle. wasn't my original plan of course but feel it necessary for me and the wife to at least feel more secure. All the bells and whistles we now get overwhelmed with being concerned about on our toys, and how easy we forget the most important part of the RV experience: safety. thanks for your input
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #27

Evergreen Ascend - read the email we just sent VP

We thought it necessary to continue a dialogue with you regarding the continuing issues we are having with our three month old 2015 Ascend here in South Dakota.
I first want to reiterate that this unit was purchased June 3, 2015 new. It was used on three midweek camping trips within 100 miles of Williamsburg VA and on those occasions we had no trouble with the unit what-so-ever.
On Sunday, July 27th, we started out to South Dakota confident that the unit was in good condition and would easily make the 1821 mile journey without incident. We traveled only on interstate highways.
On Tuesday, the 29th of July, we pulled into a KOA and the slide would not go out. The site was level and there appeared to be no reason for this problem. The morning of Wednesday the 31st of July we attempted to put a few gallons of water in the fresh water tank only to discover the drain line had ruptured from the tank itself and was just dangling, spewing water.
UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE: AFTER PURCHASING A SPECIAL PLASTIC GLUE, GORILLA BRAND, (WHICH I HAD TO PURCHASE FROM AMAZON.COM AND HAVE SHIPPED TO ME) I WAS ABLE TO GLUE THE ENTIRE DRAIN SPOUT BACK INTO PLACE, BUT WE EXPECT THIS TO BE A TEMPORARY FIX AND WILL WANT THE ENTIRE TANK REPLACED WHEN WE RETURN TO WILLIAMSBURG IN NOVEMBER.
On Wednesday the 30st of July, when stopped at a rest area we found the crank to the TV antenna had fallen off, and the crank on the bathroom vent and it's parts were in the toilet, we put all parts in a baggie for later reattachment (these things we have accomplished ourselves).
We arrived at Custer State Park on Thursday the 1st of August, backed into our site and the slide still would not go out. I believe we first contacted you and our dealer on July 30th seeking assistance with the slide issue and you sent me a PDF and video on how to get the slide out. The issue here was that where the information provided stated that the controls were - they weren't. We look everywhere but behind a panel behind the toilet which we ourselves could not get to - and this was where Jim the mobile repairman found it.
Additionally, while looking for the control panel, we removed the panel to reveal the shower drain and found a massive leak and standing water. I tried to tighten the fittings but could not stop the leak so we started collecting water in a large bowl and emptying it every time we took a shower. Jim was able to repair this as well, BUT - all of these repairs have so far been out of pocket for us. Additionally, the plastic strip on the shower door that prevents water from running out when the shower is being used is falling off the door, and we can see no visible way to re-secure it.
We now have a new water leak in the shower area and are not sure if it is from the lines feeding the shower faucet on below where we discovered there was no caulking around the base of the shower where the wall paneling meets the shower floor (we have just caulked this area and are hoping for the best). UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE:
A FEW NIGHTS AGO: at 1:30AM, with nothing running in the unit, the smoke alarm went off. Even the A/C was not on as we had the windows open because it was quite cool here. We have removed the battery because it intermittently goes off for no reason at all - please note we do NOT cook or use the stove or burners at all in this unit.
LAST WEEK: with the A/C on and nothing else we attempted to use the microwave and it tripped the 30 amp breaker outside at the pole - several times. So now to use the microwave we have to turn the A/C off. Please note I had the maintenance department here check the breakers outside and there is no problem; When camping in VA with this unit this was never an issue.
Also, the caulking that holds the faux glass in the two overhead storage doors over the rear couch is literally falling out in chunks. We considered removing it and re-caulking it ourselves but have decided to not do so. We will use painters tape to hold the glass in until we return and have it done under warranty.
We are aware that the slide motor can be replaced and now that the slide is out and we are not leaving until November 1st, we can deal with the inconvenience.
The crank handles have been replaced and so we are good there. UPDATE THIS ISSUE: WE HAVE THE MOTOR AND THE REPAIR PERSON WILL BE OUT TOMORROW TO REPLACE IT.
ANOTHER POSSIBLE SERIOUS ISSUE: WHEN WE TURN ON THE KITCHEN LIGHT OVER THE SINK, THE LIGHT UNDER THE STOVE VENT HOOD, OR THE OVERHEAD LIGHT JUST OUTSIDE THE BATHROOM, A WHIRRING NOISE EMINATES FROM THE BREAKER BOX SET BELOW THE REFRIGERATOR. ACCORDINGLY, WE ARE AFRAID TO USE THESE LIGHTS.
Our greatest concern at this time is that the integrity of the unit itself may have been compromised due to the possibility of water damage which greatly affects the worthiness of the infrastructure of the unit itself as well as resale/trade value.
From our consumers point of view, having taken out a 12 year loan on this unit, it should not have experienced so many problem at the tender age of three months and having traveled a total of under 2,500 miles. IT HAS BECOME OBVIOUS IN JUST SIX WEEKS THAT THIS UNIT IS BUILT ONLY FOR OCCASSIONAL USE AND NOT FOR EXTENDED TRIPS OF SEVERAL MONTHS.
These are our living quarters until the 1st of November. we are in a remote area of South Dakota (working) with no other housing options; the positions we accepted required we have an RV/travel trailer. Accordingly we made the decision to purchase a brand new unit so as not to suffer the incidents we have. The local Evergreen dealer also told us he would not work on the unit until after Labor day and would need it for up to a week or more. This IS NOT an option. WE CANNOT DROP IT OFF MORE TGHAN 60 MILES AWAY FOR ANY TIME PERIOD AND BE LITERALLY HOMELESS.
We realize that warranty work is generally done at our local dealer or an authorized dealer in the area we are in, but with Scenic view RV being 1821 miles east and the local Evergreen not being an Ascend dealer and not to mention very difficult to work with we are turning to Evergreen Inc. to stand behind the Evergreen name and the reputation for quality that made us choose the brand; no matter what it takes.
We look forward to hearing from you, or someone who has the authority on behalf of Evergreen to provide the services required to KEEP THIS UNIT FUNCTIONAL UNTIL WE CAN GET BACK TO OUR LOCAL DEALERSHIP.
Nick, we appreciate all you have done to assist us, and in no way see this as a reflection on you or your dealership. We, and you have the right to expect a quality product to use and represent.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ANOTHER POSSIBLE SERIOUS ISSUE: WHEN WE TURN ON THE KITCHEN LIGHT OVER THE SINK, THE LIGHT UNDER THE STOVE VENT HOOD, OR THE OVERHEAD LIGHT JUST OUTSIDE THE BATHROOM, A WHIRRING NOISE EMINATES FROM THE BREAKER BOX SET BELOW THE REFRIGERATOR. ACCORDINGLY, WE ARE AFRAID TO USE THESE LIGHTS.

Wow, I am very sorry to hear of your problems with a brand new trailer. Welcome to the forum. Will let you know about that whirring noise under the fridge is likely not a problem. It is likely just your converter kicking in. Your converter takes the 120 volts a/c coming into your trailer and converts some of it to 12 volts d/c. There is an electronic board and a big transformer in the converter which heat up during this process and a fan cuts in to keep them cool. It is the fan you are hearing. You can confirm this by turning off the things you had running and then turn on other 12 volt lights to see if the converter cuts in again.
Hopefully your problems end here and you will be provided with better days ahead.

Tags
element, ever-lite, evergreen, everlite, i-go