Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Not a "Happy Camper"

stumbled onto your forum while doing some research on our Evergreen TT. Just bought new Ascend in Oct. 2013 and was enjoying greatly until last night.

We just had a near horrifying experience on Pa. turnpike. Our less than one year old Evergreen Ascend 191RB single axle began smoking from right wheel. I had no indication until another vehicle flagged me and I pulled over. Our ballbearing mechanism was burning up and we were very close to losing the wheel completely as verified by several road crews before towing it away. The wheel was already separating from the axle. We bought this unit new in Oct. 2013 and it was well maintained, having been serviced X 2 for winterizing and de-winterizing along with inspection in less than one year of ownership. We will be finding out more information in a couple days when our dealership has inspected the damage. will update post then. Any comments or similar experience with this situation would be appreciated.
loriandmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Are you blaming the manufacturer or the service provider? Are you considering the winterization and de winterization to include inspecting/packing wheel bearings?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Sorry you are having problems. Wheel bearing failures can be traced for numerous causes, including overloading and lack of lubrication. Best of luck in getting your rig back on the road. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I've moved your post to our TT section to get a broader view and possibly sone answers.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
thanks for the Welcome Dieseltech39, and JohnRR i am not blaming anyone at this point. Just sharing my experience, and my only beef now is how shocked i am that this would happen to such a new unit. I never knew a wheel could actually dislodge from the axle from worn out bearings. I would think that a safety mechanism especially on a single axle unit would be plausible. I am admittedly not very automechanically inclined. Appreciate all your comments
Old 08-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang here!

Really sorry about your wheel problem!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #7

Welcome to irv2. So sorry this has to be your introduction to our community. Let us know what caused your wheel/axle problem so we can make sure we don't repeat your problem with our rigs. We can speculate, but the mechanic will know for sure.

Did you get an owner's manual with your rig? That might help you with the answer. We share our problems here and try to help others find solutions to their problems.

Good luck and we hope to see you back on the road soon.
dog lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for setting me straight.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #9

loriandmark,
Any tow unit can have a bearing fail--new/old/maintained. Sometimes it comes from the mfg with no/insufficient grease; sometimes the axle nut/bearing is not tightened correctly; sometimes you just get a defective part. With a single axle trailer, I would expect you have 15" wheels? Smaller? At any rate, they turn faster than larger wheels and bearings may have to work harder. Bearing inspection/repack at no longer intervals than each travel season should be the norm.
Expect you will get some help/reimbursement from mfg on this, but be sure to save/document everything.
There is a safety mechanism for bearing failure--the axle nut. But when it is towed long enough during/after failure, even that will fail. You are fortunate the wheel did not separate and drop the axle to the ground. A complete new axle will be needed as I am sure the spindle will prove to be ruined.
Happy that you did not have a worse experience.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriandmark View Post
thanks for the Welcome Dieseltech39, and JohnRR i am not blaming anyone at this point. Just sharing my experience, and my only beef now is how shocked i am that this would happen to such a new unit. I never knew a wheel could actually dislodge from the axle from worn out bearings. I would think that a safety mechanism especially on a single axle unit would be plausible. I am admittedly not very automechanically inclined. Appreciate all your comments
Whether its a TT, boat trailer, utility trailer...anything that's new and has wheel bearings, do this for the first two trips, regardless.

After driving ten miles or so, stop and place the Back of your finger on the bearing cups. Compare heat from one cup to the next; they should be luke warm.

After driving twenty miles at interstate speeds, do this again. Results should be the same. If there is ANY difference in temperature between the axle bearings, have the bearings packed and inspected for proper fit. It isn't all that uncommon for axles to be sent from the axle factory and installed, then shipped, then sold, then used...without anybody checking to see if Jethro back at the axle factory actually did his job correctly.

Your TT manufacturer is just a part of that chain, as are you. Glad nobody got hurt, and that the wheel didn't catch on fire! Lesson learned
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #11

It doesn't matter what brand trailer you buy, there are only a few axle manufacturers. None can be trusted to having correctly assembled and greased the spindles. As you have learned, all this needs corrected before placing a trailer in service. I do it myself because few can be trusted to do even this simple task.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
thanks wingnut, that's some good info. really appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #13

dhowdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #14

Evergreen Owners Club
would a double axle rig be "safer" on the road if the same bearing failure would occur to one wheel.? when i bought the ascend 191RB i could not help but wonder if i should not have purchased a double axle unit, but my wife preferred the smaller unit. It just seemed to me a more stable setup in general to have 2 axles.

Tags
element, ever-lite, evergreen, everlite, i-go