Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Not sure if rving is worth for me, any +/- comments?

Hello, i'm uncertain about buying our first rv. We live in montreal and love the outdoors, family of 4 with 2 kids (9&6). Any comments from new and experienced rvers? Much appreciated. Thanks,
marperb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rent one for a few day. This will give you an idea if this is the lifestyle and floor plan that would work for you.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Rent one for a few day. This will give you an idea if this is the lifestyle and floor plan that would work for you.

Thanks. Will do.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

25 years ago my wife talked me into trying camping. We borrowed a pop up from a neighbor and the rest is history, 6 trailers later. The family memories are priceless and something my wife and I will have forever. Now mostly it is my wife and I and friends that camp but the kids camp from time to time with us or on their own. Would not trade it for anything. Don't over buy but get a floor plan that will work for you. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree. Rent an RV for a few days or a week's vacation and give it a try. Don't go too far, with the outdoors a fav pick some place within a day's drive. Full hook up (water, sewer, electric) to simplify things and not have to learn about conservation techniques the first time out.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Great story. Thank you for sharing it. I'm leaning more towards getting my own rv.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I started camping with my Dad when I was 6 and haven't stopped yet. I am now 68. You might start something with your kids too. As mentioned, renting is a great way to try RV'ing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

I am home most nights with my family. I insist we eat at least one meal/day as a family. I see my kids more than most dads in my peer group.

We camp at least one weekend/mo. We are absolutely astonished at what we learn about our kids when we camp. (Ie, no tv, no computer, etc). Start tent camping, its cheap entertainment!

Its the quality not the qty of time spent with them. Camping gives us this opportunity.

Do it now. Its a gift your kids will never forget.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #9

You kids are at a nice age for Rving with you. It won't be long till they are teens. Time to make so memories while they still like to hang with Mom & Dad.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
The wife and I batted around the idea for 5 years. Finally pulled the plug, and bought our Hurricane 34E...first night out, with TV, cooking in our own kitchen, sleeping in our own bed, and having our own shower, the wife was sold. Our kids are young adults, and couldn't wait to spend a few nights out with us...we all had a great time...no looking back now!!
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:19 AM   #12

Started camping when I was in my 20's. Wanted to when I was much younger but noone ever took me, whaaa! anyway, I loved being in a tent in the middle of the night listening to the small woodland creatures scurry by the tent. well, a few years later, much later and a back surgery later and the DW and I decided to try Fort Wilderness at Disneyworld as we were there before but stayed in the carribean beach afew times, We rented a cabin and as I looked around at all the trailers and campers I wondered how cool it would be to do what they are doing. So, we bought a 28 foot TT and then realized the Trailblazer wasn't going to pull it and bought a bigger truck. Well, it was a PAIN pulling that trailer from NJ to Florida but that trip being at Disney with my own home is the best vacation I ever had and I can't wait to go back next year when the Grandchild is old enough to understand it otherwise we would be there now....

You can't put a price on memories... I will have those and the photos forever and we will make more as we go, We are also instilling in our children the tradition....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 AM   #13

I neighbor from La Montérégie.
Only one way to find out, as others suggested you could rent one for a few weekends, that'll give you a good idea of what to expect...
One great way for your kids to explore a different way of life and for parents to really connect with there kids.
But be aware this could become a desease that you wont be able to keep away from.......
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #14

The best bang for the buck has to be a pop up trailer. They are relatively cheap, for the most part can store in your garage, are pretty quick to set up and have relatively large beds. You can also tow them with almost anything. On the negative side, unless you get a really complex pop up they usually lack bathrooms with showers/toilets.

I agree with renting to see how you like it, but if you're like me renting once or twice really can't give you enough of a feel of RVing to let you know if you should be investing heavy in something like a MH.

We've had all sorts of RVs from pop ups to travel trailers to a couple of MHs. We're now on our first Diesel Pusher and really like it. Its a great thing for family time.

Tags
rving