Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
$315 a month for indoor storage with 24/7 valet (they bring the coach out to a staging area and you return it to that area) at OCRV in Anaheim. They charge by the foot.

I loved having it clean when I picked up it...even if I washed it months ago, it was still nice and clean...not to mention that it was not exposed to the sun when not in use.

It was a lot of cash but I felt it was worth it....

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
There has been a big jump in storage fees in Orange County since the largest rv storage lot (over 2000 spots) that is on the former El Toro Marine base is closing its doors in January. As a result, those RV owners had to make a mad scramble to find a new location. When the other RV storage locations found out, they started hiking up their rates. I was on 3 waiting lists to find a place for my 40ft Newmar. Luckily, I found a place that is within 5 minutes from my house. That being said, I am paying $290 now when I was previously paying $160.

I would love to avoid paying that $290 a month and I would love to store it on my own property in an RV garage. Since I don't have the room for it in my current location, I'm looking at potentially moving to a 1 acre or more lot even though I love where I live.
Isn't there some RV/boat storage condos you can buy into? Seems like more and more of these buildings are going up, particularly in urban areas. That to me is the best solution. It's indoors, monitored and when you are done with motorhoming, you sell it, probably for a profit! I think the demand for this type of storage is only going to go up!
I wouldn't want to move from somewhere I liked, just because of my motorhome. What happens when, for whatever reason, you are no longer motorhoming, move again? JMHO
I couldn't find any kind of indoor storage in my area so I had to buy a cheap piece of property, put a building up, throw a fence up and alarm it. I now have all of the expense that goes with owning a building but it does have residual value and no one will be kicking me out!

2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a tent trailer in the 1980s and there was a storage lot about a mile and a half away from me in Manhattan Beach (I lived in Hawthorne) that only charged $50/month for me to store it. Now, I have a double parking space at my apartment just big and long enough to accommodate my MH and car.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #18

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming.

Yes, $300+ dollars is about the going rate for. 35'-40' spot. I will have to keep checking to see if there are business that will rent out secured space behind or in their warehouses. Within 10 miles there are a lot of commercial properties. Much of it in the higher end category but still a good mix.

I have thought about purchasing land and building an RV storage lot in the past but since the huge El Toro base is closing, as mentioned earlier, it may be a good time to take a closer look at this. My parents are always looking for ways to get a return on their money. And yes, land around here can get pricey so I would need their investment help. Just would have to crunch the numbers to see if it is viable and would have a good enough return.

Maybe I need to post a thread on "Build Your Ideal RV Storage Lot - What Amenities - What Price Would You Pay". To see what RV owners want in a nice secure storage facility and what they would be willing to pay.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I dunno anything about your geography, but you might search "around" for a local general aviation airport that has private hanger ownership/rentals. RVs are pretty modular and tend to use space efficiently. Big airports will likely be too expensive.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #20

Sound cheaper to build another house in another state
Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
That is on a wish list; to move to either OK or MT but since we are both doing very well, career wise and income, it doesn't make sense to move unless the absolute right deal presented itself. In our fields we couldn't come close to matching our incomes anywhere else. Won't move just because we want an RV either.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
That's what we did...Socal is such a great place to move away from...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #23

Wow listening to some of you reminds me how blessed we are I couldn't imagine our camper anywhere else but our back yard
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikorge View Post
We have a neighbor that when her husband was alive they had a 31ft Class C. She lets us park our MH in that spot for $1 a day ($30/mo). We like to give her the $30 and a bottle of wine every now and then.
Boy you should give her a big kiss as well.
A bottle of wine? Why not two?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #25

Airports are out now with the new usage regulations if the airport takes any Federal funds. Hangars are for airplanes by law now. You have to own an airplane to lease one on most airports.
Where do you go the most? Look out of town that direction for a lot to park in. An hour out of Orange County will probably cut the cost in half.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:17 AM   #26

An hour away at a storage facility would be too far, IMO. I would want to keep it close; 10-15 minutes at most. Otherwise, it would be too far to tinker with, repair and just too far for long weekend trips, etc.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:39 AM   #27

I would look into a seasonal site so you will have a place to camp too....
Old 11-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #28

Definitely expand your search area. With those prices, I can justify storing it many, many miles away.
I know you want easy access, but you'll just have to figure out how to tinker there. ;-)

Tags
storage