Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Odd dealings with Camping World

I priced a slide topper for my 2012 Kingsport about 2 weeks ago at Camping World. Their quote was nearly $800 for one 156" topper with the Good Sam member discount. Since I was just in the pricing phase I left and never gave it much thought because I had priced one at a local dealer for about $500. Camping World called me early last week to follow up on my inquiry and I told them about the cheaper price I found locally rather than driving an hour to their store. After a few minutes of "figuring" the gentleman gave me a $467 out the door price. Seriously? Of course I took it due to the fact that I was driving right by a Camping World on our way to the campground this weekend, but the question I have is, are their prices that inflated????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes

Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

You have to be really careful about pricing if you buy from them.
I've ordered from the website to get free shipping or specials.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like they overinflated the instalation labor charges.
They seem to hold the first price at $130.00 an hour, then, that gives them a cushion to show how caring they are and allow them to lower the cost.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"caring". I wouldn't but from them if they did that to me. What if you paid the $800 first quote. That is not what I would expect from a Natl. chain. I would report that to their main office. That just plain sucks.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I think it shows that shopping around is the best thing to do. Anything DW and I buy will be researched to death then look for the best price....Its my money and I want the best value, whether its about the best price or best service. I like CW but follow it up with a visit to Amazon.com
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinnettjn1 View Post
I priced a slide topper for my 2012 Kingsport about 2 weeks ago at Camping World. Their quote was nearly $800 for one 156" topper with the Good Sam member discount. Since I was just in the pricing phase I left and never gave it much thought because I had priced one at a local dealer for about $500. Camping World called me early last week to follow up on my inquiry and I told them about the cheaper price I found locally rather than driving an hour to their store. After a few minutes of "figuring" the gentleman gave me a $467 out the door price. Seriously? Of course I took it due to the fact that I was driving right by a Camping World on our way to the campground this weekend, but the question I have is, are their prices that inflated????
Yes, their prices are that inflated. In your situation I think I would have preferred to give the local guy the business for a couple of reasons. 1) He's the local guy and as long as he does good work at a reasonable price in a reasonable amount of time it's always good to do business with someone local. 2) If CW "really" wanted your business they would have quoted you $467 the first time and not waited to hear that a local small business undercut their original quote.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes,,,,
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I would have bought from the local guy, no question. He was upfront quoted you a fair price and deserves your support. Camping World did not!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
This is why it's always a good to get a few quotes on these types of purchases. Heck, I would have called the local guy back to see if he wanted to beat the CW price.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #11

I would have given the local guy the business no doubt IF he wasn't a bit shady himself. I was seriously thinking of doing it myself thus the reason I didn't already have one put on by now. My wife and I are new to RVing and wasn't sure about CW...yet, but figured it sounded like a decent deal on the second offer. It is sad that large chains conduct themselves this way I have to say. Thanks for the responses!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
You can easily do it yourself for about $150 RV Slide Out Awnings, Replacement Fabric it just takes two people and a couple ladders. My wife and I did our 144" topper in about one hour. Here are some pictures. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212490
This is a good product with easy to follow instructions and phone help if you need it.
Dick
Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys
You can easily do it yourself for about $150 RV Slide Out Awnings, Replacement Fabric it just takes two people and a couple ladders. My wife and I did our 144" topper in about one hour. Here are some pictures. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212490
This is a good product with easy to follow instructions and phone help if you need it.
Dick
That was great. Thanks Dick.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
CW is overpriced on everything!! Our little RV dealer here in Lynden WA has almost as much selection and their prices are lower all the way around. I don't bother to stop at CW anymore.