Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

Odd smell

So my TT has been stored for about 2 weeks. I open the door this morning and it stinks in there. Smells like rotten eggs. The battery is disco's and the LP tanks are off. What is it?
In full disclosure this is my first RV and I've had it 3 weeks. So please dont give me hell.
couch702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check your batteries, waste tank and look for chickens. I drove through Texas a while back in a van, the whole way I was thinking Texas sure stinks. Turns out the alternator was over charging the battery causing it to smell like rotten eggs.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #3

You might check for an air admittance valve under your sinks. I had one under my bathroom sink that was getting stuck open obviously because I was getting smells coming from the gray water tank somewhere (similar to rotten egg smell). I couldn't visibly see anything wrong with the valve when I looked at it but decided to replace it anyway with a better quality one just in case. After I replaced it the smell went away and has never come back.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

If you've had the unit three weeks and stored it for two of those three, I surmise that you haven't gone completely through it and will find several things. TT's don't just stink for no reason. Check the above, and also make sure your toilet is sealing and there is a small amount of water at the waste valve. This's serves the same purpose as a trap in a sink or sewer line. If the previously owner left unmentionable - rhymes with spit - in the tank it will greet you warmly. There could also be smells emanating from the refrigerator, dead mice, food, or wet/rotten wood. A few extra minutes putting the unit away before storing a week or months will serve an owner well. I spend a lot of time putting ours away and have always had great experiences getting ready to go again. Worth the effort.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

So, my wife and I stayed in the unit for a couple of night after we bought it to try everything out. I drained both black and gray tanks. I also drained the fresh tank, and left the fresh tank drain valve open. I put some water and odor ez in the black tank today hoping it was just the smell from being dry.
I live in Las Vegas and it has been around 110 daily lately. Supposed to be around 115-120 through the next week.
Hoping the heat and empty black tank is the cause.
The smell is strongest in the kitchen. No water leakage or damage, plus it being so dry here in Vegas im sure there is no mold, especially since its Azdel construction.
Do you think the fridge is the cause? I can open it if that will help. I can't look under the sink right now because I can't open the slide to get in there.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Check your batteries, waste tank and look for chickens. I drove through Texas a while back in a van, the whole way I was thinking Texas sure stinks. Turns out the alternator was over charging the battery causing it to smell like rotten eggs.
I have chickens in my back yard. They can't get to the RV though.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #7

I had the exact same issue. Turned out I failed to drain the water heater. I had to completely flush the water system and flush with vinegar. That fixed it for me.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Did your P traps in the sink drain plumbing dry out, letting all those wonderful odors from the tanks come into the trailer? Might could be that simple. Consider putting something in the drains that will not evaporate in the heat you deal with that is also septic safe. I used to use cooking oil, but there may be better ideas.

This may or may not be the issue, or it contributed to it. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, the heat in Vegas will evaporate the traps under sinks and the shower and the gray tank can sometimes smell worse than the black.

I would leave 5 gallons in all the tanks and pour some water down each trap. Don't forget the shower. After the traps are full of water and you have some in the toilet bowl then add a tablespoon of cooking oil to each. It will float on the water and prevent it from evaporating. If you still have odor issues after that then look at replacing the air admittance valves but you probably do not need to.

On another note, I always put 5 gallons of water in my black tank after flushing and encourage guests to use lots of water so that the "solids" don't harden into the dreaded poo pyramid. This is extra important in very hot climates like Vegas.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always store with the fridge/freezer doors blocked open to avoid any moisture mold.

For storage, water in p-traps, tanks flushed, all food (not in a can) removed, batteries disconnected and night shades drawn.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Yeah, the heat in Vegas will evaporate the traps under sinks and the shower and the gray tank can sometimes smell worse than the black.

I would leave 5 gallons in all the tanks and pour some water down each trap. Don't forget the shower. After the traps are full of water and you have some in the toilet bowl then add a tablespoon of cooking oil to each. It will float on the water and prevent it from evaporating. If you still have odor issues after that then look at replacing the air admittance valves but you probably do not need to.

On another note, I always put 5 gallons of water in my black tank after flushing and encourage guests to use lots of water so that the "solids" don't harden into the dreaded poo pyramid. This is extra important in very hot climates like Vegas.
Never thought of that, but that is an excellent idea!
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #12

I put some water in the traps and in the black tank, and left water in the toilet. I'll check tomorrow to see if the smell is gone.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Aaaggghhh....maybe a dead pest...somewhere.....possible...not possible? lol. I wish you luck couch702!
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #14

I'm new as well, found out after our first trip that after emptying the tanks I need to leave some water in the black tank to prevent odors. I don't have a flush hookup so there must have been just enough "stuff" left in there to create that horrendous odor after sitting a few days. Now we just add a few gallons and some holding tank treatment. No odors since and it's 90 here this week. I should probably get a wand and start flushing through the toilet after trips.
jayrodoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell