Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 01:44 AM   #1

Ok I did it!! I'm one of you guys now!!

Well... I guess in April I will be lol.

So last Thursday I purchased a 2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn and last Saturday my wife and I traveled 3 hours to to an RV Retailer and bought a new 2016.5 Lance 1995 on the lot.

Truck wont be here until April so I cant pick up the gorgeous TT yet. Its in layaway.

Many of you many know for months I've wanted a Jayco Eagle HT 5W but my wife is right, I'm never gonna be able to go away for a month at a time so why lug around a 32ft 5W home? Maybe in 10 years when I plan to slow down We're more of a weekend campers and probably a week max at a time.

Now I'm searching for all the things/ accessories I will be needing. Its sooo expensive to kit these things out!

Decided on the Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution hitch. Love that thing. So easy and feels right to me.

Any way, thought I would share.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 04:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Any way, thought I would share.
Congratulations! Sounds nice. Love to see pictures of it when you get a chance
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, now you are an RV'er, Congrats. You've got a nice combo there and the size will get you into many places with ease that a larger unit is tight. Take your time in getting all the "stuff". A few shake down runs, time here, and walks through the CG's will show you what you need to get. Here on the West coast we RV all year. Enjoy and Welcome.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Congratulations on the new camper and truck. That's a great setup for weeklong or weekend trips. I think you chose wisely. You're right about all the stuff you will want to buy for the camper. Get the basic stuff you'll need to hook it up and the rest will come in time. Walk around and see what other people are using in the campgrounds. It'll keep you from buying twice.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

Congrats.

Don't try to kit it up too soon. Figure out what works and doesn't work
for you, everyone needs and requirements are different.

The few things I would look at and keep in mind.

Hitch lock
Hitch jack stand
blocks for the 4 stabilizer jacks.
With double axle the X-Chocks work well.
Good quality sewer connection and hoses.
White hose for water (fresh) connection.
Another color for washing.

WD system. Depends on factors on weights and where you are traveling (serious Mountains?)
Old 03-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Congratulations on the new camper and truck. That's a great setup for weeklong or weekend trips. I think you chose wisely. You're right about all the stuff you will want to buy for the camper. Get the basic stuff you'll need to hook it up and the rest will come in time. Walk around and see what other people are using in the campgrounds. It'll keep you from buying twice.
Thank you everyone. Its definitely daunting buying everything I need.
I have to get the tow equipment first for sure.
Ive ordered a sewer hose, fresh water pipe, etc.

I'm about to order a surge protector because that is killing me hearing about the horror stories of campgrounds. Anyone have a preference?

oh and roof vent covers in case it rains. Worried about leaving it open in the rain and causing water damage.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Welcome! I am also a newbie and only slightly ahead of you. I came close to pulling the trigger on the 1995 but ended up with a Winnebago Micro Minnie instead. The brand surge protector I recommend is Progressive Industries. They are expensive but get rave reviews and have a lifetime warranty. Things you will also probably need:

1) Water filter
2) Water pressure regulator
3) Bubble level
4) Leveling blocks
5) Tool kit

And you may as well become an Amazon Prime member.....

Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Don't get too caught up in all the RV hype about needing everything that has the word RV in it. The best thing to do is just get the basics that are mandatory like;
Sewer hose.
Fresh water hose
Water pressure reg
Surge protector
Chocks
Level of some kind. Smart phone level app works too.

Then go out and camp for a few times, even a whole season and get a feel of what is really necessary. After each trip you'll find you may need something. Nothing worse than buying a bunch of RV related things only to find out that you hardly use them. BTDT. We thought we needed all kinds of stuff since that's what other people took. But in the end we found that not everyone camps the same way. After you've been out for 4-5+ times you'll know if you really need something or you think you need it because others say so or it's on the wall at the RV store. Lots of products are gimmicky and aren't really needed. And some really just don't work very well.
Anyway congrats on your purchase. You should have a great setup with the Ram, Lance and Anderson WDH.

FYI most dealers throw in a starter kit that has a sewer hose, fresh water hose, 45psi water reg, and a few other usable items. They may not be the best, but you can get setup with the kit. I would recommend getting an expensive sewer hose though. We found Rhino brand to be the best we've had. Very easy to use and durable.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #9

It can become over whelming on all the stuff you need while camping.

I have some old army surplus ammo boxes that I keep one with all
the misc tools in. Then I have a 2nd one I keep nuts, bolts, screws ropes,
plumbing supplies, electrical tape etc in.

I also measured my under storage coffin area and purchase rubermaid style
boxes that would use most the space wisely. In these I containerize my supplies which you need to carry around with you.

The one thing I learned is I was carry to much stuff/junk with us on our trips.
Before I purchased the Ram 3500 I had to put the trailer on a diet to trim
unneeded weight. I was surprised of the junk that never found it way back to the RV and we have done fine.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There really are very few things you must have. They have all been mentioned already, but I will point out a specific one:

http://amzn.com/B003YJLAIK

The adjustable water pressure regulator will keep the pressure down and you can set it to a safe pressure (check owners manual, or no more than 45PSI if no info from manufacturer) as the pressure from a hose bib or spigot can be very high, i've seen as high as 90 PSI.

Disposable rubber gloves for the first few times you dump the sewage. You may decide that good hand washing afterwards is fine, but you will probably make some mistakes the first few times you dump, and being gloved up just helps with the initial ick factor.

If you have more questions, keep asking. There is a lot of experince here to help you.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #11

Ah yes, disposable gloves. I still use em after 5 years.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

We love all these tips! We just bought our 2016 EverLite 232RBS today!!!
BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Ah yes, disposable gloves. I still use em after 5 years.
The same ones?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #14

You really don't need much money at all to kit these things out. Much of the fun is deciding what you need once you take a few trips as everybody has their own list of what they want. You can get by with a bunch of pieces of wood for leveling, blocking the wheels, etc... a water hose and a cheapo water regulator and sewer hose is about all you need to start. Then have fun.
Earl E is offline   Reply With Quote