Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #15

The season of the year can also affect the propane price at the places where they fill your tank. Usually higher in winter, but it all depends on the going market price. Just remember that propane prices, like oil prices, are generally down now.

FWIW, I can fill my 20 lb tanks for $10 here at local propane supply co. They fill by weight, the price is $.47/lb, but with tax it comes out to be $.50/lb. The price for a house tank fill now is around $1.50/gal I think, have not priced that recently.

I never use the exchange places, as it costs more and you get a less than full tank.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #16

I refuse to exchange my tanks. I have seen fold abuse and drop them. Plus I save 40% having them filled vs exchanged.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #17

Most of Love Truck stops refill
Tractor supply
Old 08-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
JFN

What is this fill by weight? I have never seen that here in the Peoples Republic, we pay by the gallon. just saying
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFN View Post
What is this fill by weight? I have never seen that here in the Peoples Republic, we pay by the gallon. just saying

A normal grill size propane tank in theory holds 20lbs of propane when full. For many years now, the US DOT has required that tanks be filled not more than 80% to allow for expansion. This means you can't fill a 20lb tank to more than 16lbs of propane. Propane is still sold by the gallon, but weight is used to determine how full the tank is. When I have my tanks filled, the tank is placed in a scale, and the amount dispensed is measured by another meter on gallons.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #20

The exchange place is great for getting rid of old and rough tanks. I usually get a few of these a year cleaning out old homes and will exchange them. Once they are empty, I will sell them for $10-15. Its amazing how many people will buy them empty. This works great for me.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
A normal grill size propane tank in theory holds 20lbs of propane when full. For many years now, the US DOT has required that tanks be filled not more than 80% to allow for expansion. This means you can't fill a 20lb tank to more than 16lbs of propane. Propane is still sold by the gallon, but weight is used to determine how full the tank is. When I have my tanks filled, the tank is placed in a scale, and the amount dispensed is measured by another meter on gallons.
You are misinformed about propane tanks. They hold 20 lb of lpg and have 20 % head space.

A LITTLE ABOUT PROPANE TANKS

These "20 lb" tanks are designed to take up to 20 pounds of propane. You may get a pound or 2 less, depending on the temperature of the tank and surrounding air when the tank was filled. Cooler = more propane in, hotter = less in. Tanks can actually fit another 20% in the tank, but that extra space is designed for expansion as the temperature rises.

In very cold winter climates, like Canada, there may be more concern/rules about filling a tank to a complete 20 lbs. This is because if you leave a tank outside in very cold temps, filled the tank when the tank is cold, and then bring it into a hot basement/garage for a space heater, the gas will expand as the tank warms. With enough of a temperature increase, the tank's pressure relief value will release a bit of gas. This would be less of an issue if the relief value were bleeding to outside air.

[https://www]

All propane tanks have a "tare weight" or "T.W." stamped on the collar of the tank. For a grill sized tank you simply calculate the tare weight + 20 lbs, and that's how much the tank should weigh when it's full. Most 20 lb tanks have a tare weight of +/- 17 pounds when completely empty.*This means a "full" propane tank should weigh about 37 pounds.

Now days with the OPD valve, most places just fill until it shuts down and charges by the gallon.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfloyd View Post
Most of Love Truck stops refill
Tractor supply
As do many RV parks and RV dealers.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFN View Post
JFN
Peoples Republic??

In The U.S. portable/refillable LP bottles/tanks are filled by weight.

Propane tanks permanently attached to motor homes are filled by the gallon.

In both cases the LP seller/filler charges by, (and we pay by), the gallon.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #24

The local propane dealer refills bottles. 20 pounds for $20, no tax. The local hardware exchanges any tank, any condition, any age. I get a new style valve and 17 pounds for 19.95 plus tax. Even though there is no tax on propane. But I get a certified up-to date bottle. Blue Rhino has their own valve that requires a special magnetic key to refill.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
The local propane dealer refills bottles. 20 pounds for $20, no tax. The local hardware exchanges any tank, any condition, any age. I get a new style valve and 17 pounds for 19.95 plus tax. Even though there is no tax on propane. But I get a certified up-to date bottle. Blue Rhino has their own valve that requires a special magnetic key to refill.
Sehc
Methinks you will find that Blue Rhino 20 lb exchange tanks no longer contain 17 lbs of propane...(I believe 15 lbs is now standard).
See: Blue Rhino Exchange tanks now are 15 pounds - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums
Old 08-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #26
IC2

I refuse to be gouged by Blue Rhino or other exchane stations. If I'm paying for a full tank, I want what the law allows, not their partially filled clunker.

My tanks come as a freebie from our town's transfer station. If a tank is needed, I just find one that looks good, has a relatively recent date and off I go to one of the local folks that will refill them at the going rate/gallon. It does help to have a couple friends at the transfer site too. My spare 30 pounders came from there as do the 'que's 20's and even one the two little 5 pounders we carry when traveling.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #27

I know you guys are talking about 20 pound tanks.. BUT

this is what I know...

I have 30 pound tanks.. dealer installed new tanks when I took delivery of a used trailer last year. both weighed 58 pounds each

empty it weights 25 pounds and filled it depends on where I go.. Full it weights 50 to 55 pounds Full.. so 25 to 30 pounds full.

most times .. a non-empty tank is weighted, then filled using a gallon meter.

lots of documented information on the exchange program as a Real profit for them and NOT you.

and YES I have used 20 pounders for years for the BBQ and past trailer.. and always had it refilled.. no exchange.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Here in Santa Fe, NM the propane company where I refill my tanks weighs them when I unload them to their service dock. They tell me the number of gallons it'll take. Then go inside and pay for the estimated gallons while the tanks are being filled. I go back out to their service dock pickup my tanks and leave. I've also exchanged a few "old" tanks at a Blue Rhino swap and then get them refilled at the propane company.

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank