Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

On the hunt for a new TT

So, my fiancee and I are seriously considering replacing our beloved PUP with a new, smaller TT prior to the wedding in September. We've looked at the Forest River products in our weight range (Vibe 6504, Surveyor Cadet, and r-pod), and while these products are quite fine, there was significant sticker shock. Does the community here have any suggestions/recommendations about other brands/models in the under 5K# non-PUP weight class?

Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

Check AR-One, T@B tear drop (these are expensive) and the used one I like is Fleetwood Tacoma. It is a low trailer that cranks up. Also Trail-Manor and Hi-Lo.

Fleetwood only made the Tacoma 2 years so it is hard to find.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am partial to my Dutchmen - I felt it was the best value of the "L" shaped floor plan in 14ft trailers. It was about 1/3 less than the T@B or rPod.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Just came to me - azdel walled Skyline Koala eco-camp or the smaller Koala trailers.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

I'll look into these suggestions, thank you!
Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #6

I've got a sportsman classic I love it lightweight easy to tow I use a jeep grand Cherokee 4.7 with tow package. It's anufactured by kz check em out . Not the most fanciest one bu priced great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2213240126.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	646.9 KB
ID:	36055  
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Our first RV was a Coachmen Catalina 20' model that we purchased about 1.5 years ago. We just sold it and bought a KZ Spree model that is about 8' longer. We would not buy a Forest River product again due to factory quality issues and dealer issues. As an example, it took us over a year to fix faulty brakes that were Lippert's error from the beginning. I've read about people with serious problems like cracked frames and Lippert, the dealer and Forest River refusing to help even when still under warranty.

Besides price, I would seriously look into the manufacturer's reputation for quality and support and also the support of the dealer. We ended up buying a KZ unit partly because of what we read and liked about factory and dealer support.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Gulf Stream's Amerilite trailers are about as cheap as you can get for a light weight trailer. About $9k-$10k brand new for a 16 foot. The fiberglass exterior option makes the sides look smooth like the trend on newer travel trailers. 2,500lbs.
Ameri-Lite SuperLite 16BHC Travel Trailers by Gulf Stream, The Original RVWholesalers. New RV's & Parts Sales, Wholesale Dealer

You can also get a used Livin Lite CAMP lite trailer, it's all aluminum so even a used one will still feel like new. Plus it'll last forever, even if you develop a leak, just recaulk the roof and let the inside dry out. It'll be like new again, no wood to rot out. A 16 foot camp lite will be about 2800lbs. Like $16k-$18k slightly used. The 13 foot is $19k brand new. Make sure you get the 9.2K BTU AC so it can run off a 2KW generator.