Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

On the road.

Left lake havasu city, az Sunday. I am traveling on I-40. It has been an interesting trip so far. I have a 31 ft pull behind and am pulling it with an f-150 with a 5.4l engine. While I have to go realllllllly slow up the inclines, the truck has done a wonderful job. I am being very cautious and so far I have gotten to outside of Amarillo, tx. I have been staying at parks every night. The experience so far has been wonderful. I did the wise thing before I left. I had the bearings packed on the trailer and got new tires for it. Then I had the truck overhauled and found some things that had to get fixed. Got a clean bill of health from Ford and off I went. I am sure there are some here that will cringe when they read this but I got the specs from ford and my truck can pull this trailer. It has done a fabulous job. I will keep you updated on progress.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

No cringing here--the truck will be ok since you don't mind being a little slow uphill. Did a lot of camping with the 5.4L in a pickup and Expedition.
Have fun--where are you heading?
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to pull a 24' TT with a Chevy van 350 motor. Did just fine most of the time. As you said going uphill is a bit slower but doable. Now I'm in a class A Ford gasser towing a 3300 lb car, it's not the fastest MH on the mountain, but runs great and gets me to where I want to be. After some tweaking now I can keep up with the 18 wheelers

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

I am going to Wisconsin. So far I have made it to Guthrie, ok. Trip has been good so far. Now I am having a hard time finding my next rv camp between here and DES moines.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried using Google maps?
Pull up your location/route, then put "RV parks" in the search terms field. All the RV parks on that route will populate, most have phone #'s and reviews.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

Well I almost forgot to let you guys know how fabulous my truck is. We arrived very safe and sound to Wisconsin. That wonderful truck pulled my trailer almost 2000 miles without complaining at all. Yeah, we were slow on the hills but who cares. Awesome truck. My next truck will be the new f-150 with the ecoboost engine. I don't care what anyone says about Ford trucks. I totally love mine.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 95' F-250 460 cid. I would love to buy a new F-450 or even an F-650 but why waste the money and get stuck in a monthly payment. Glad you got to your destination keep us posted on the rest of your trip.

My wife and I and our throw away dog (we rescued him) travel in a Class-C Fleetwood 26Q it good for us.

Got any pictures?

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote