Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #15

Think about it like buying your first house.

Often impossible to know what you want/need until you lived in one.

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
If you never had a motor home I think I would go with a used one,there's a lots of nice used ones out there.This lets you get the feel of what you like and don't like.To me the big question would be gas or diesel,i would say diesel.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Research is good. But if you're like me, you learn most by doing. So you may go though a couple of trailers before finding on the "right" one.

Of course, at the same time, your needs will be changing, so the "right" one now may not be in a few years.

So just be prepared for a lifelong learning experience.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
So you may go though a couple of trailers before finding on the "right" one.
Not in this life time! One is it. If I was a young flat belly, then that might be a possibility. But there ain't enough time left for us to test drive a couple of trailers.

And so it goes.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #19

When we made the leap last year, we decided that we wanted to do lots of travelling the first couple years so we stayed with a smaller outfit. Didn't know much so we went with something we could afford and if we were wrong we could stand the loss on the trade. This year we are going to Florida in January, Idaho in May, and Michigan in June/July. There will be more too. If we change direction and decide to stay in one place longer, we may go with something bigger. Our rig has ducted heat and air, aluminum frame and fiberglass exterior and all under 5000 pounds. Got it new for less than 20 grand. I think it could be towed by most 1/2 tons. What I would change? Forget the bunks... buy for you and your wife. The grandkids are not going camping w grandma and grandpa, usually, anyway. If they do? bring a tent.. they will have more fun that way. Hope you find something soon. We are having loads of fun and have no regrets.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #20

Ducted air is quieter and a walk around bed is easier to crawl into. We don't have that yet, but in the next one....
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #21

Traxless, I hate to break this to you, but being crazy is the human condition! And there's nothing like sifting through specs to enhance the feeling!

If you check my posting in Product Evaluations for November 2, 2014, you'll see my Diary of a Black Rock owner. I ramble on about what I found with the Black Rock, but if you take a read, you might firm up some of your own ideas on desirable features. I would add we really like the walk around queen bed feature, and although a slide-out greatly enhances interior space, it's also one more mechanical thing go go wrong. So we didn't opt for that feature, and besides, we would have had to forgo the dining area at the rear of the trailer, something we really like. The Black Rock also has generous tank capacities, something good to have if you plan to boondock, so look for what capacity tanks your preferred trailer might have.

Good luck with crazy, let us know what you pick!

Nick B
Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
If you check my posting in Product Evaluations for November 2, 2014, you'll see my Diary of a Black Rock owner. I ramble on about what I found with the Black Rock, but if you take a read, you might firm up some of your own ideas on desirable features.Nick B
I'm headed that way right now. Thank you!

EDIT: Nick B ... well done and very helpful. At some point, if you have the time and energy, you might do a follow-up. Take care.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #23

We were in your shoes last summer. Took a 2week trip with our 20 year old rockwood pop-up and told DW time for a new trailer. I said I have 3 most haves on the list for a trailer.

1 Lazyboy chair 2. Heavy duty trailer frame. 3. 4 season trailer double pane windows

DW list 1. 2 entry doors 2. dinner table 3. walk around full size bed. no rear Kitchen.

We went with a Arctic Fox 25Y and we both got what we wanted.

Keep looking and you will find the trailer for both of you.

Good Luck
Tom
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #24
IC2

Sounds like a normal trailer purchase dilemma we have all faced.

OK - first of all, since you are at least in your mid 60s based on 43 years of wedded 'bliss', you already know that one or both of you need to make one or unannounced O dark thirty trips from the cozy bed to that throne room every night, hence, a walk around bed is a requirement

Next, at least one slide to open up the living room from box proportions to a reasonable livable space.

Now, will an island kitchen counter work or do you need more meal prep room. My DW told me to forget about that island design and interestingly, a friend's wife is complaining about lack of work space with her little island. I think a replacement is in store for their 2014 Wildcat.

A decent bathroom. Some trailers have a sink in the BR. Huh?? A shower that's only curtained off and a throne in a space you can barely get up once you have sat down.

Storage space. Lots of it. I'm of the opinion that when you close those hatches that there are things that 'happen' as there is always more then you put in there (or so it appears)

Chassis - if it's new, it probably has a Lippert. Some are good, others - well let's just say that some aren't.

Construction - aluminum studs are good - they wont rot.

Exterior sidewalls - aluminum bends with each passing hail storm, kicked up stone, low hanging branch, etc.. Fiberglass - wont though you might scuff it or even crack it with enough practice.

Appliances - those are almost all Dometic or Atwood so your choices are limited.

Hot water heater - many, even premium level trailers, are only 6 gallon but a 10 is best if you both want to take a decent hot shower in the same hour or so time frame.

Interior furniture - most is a step or two below the cheap local outlet furniture store quality. It is what it is until you decide to get better stuff as we are doing with our 'premium' 2014 5er. So far we have a $$ Simmons Beautirest mattress, new DR chairs and 2 new La-Z-Boys on order. A new sleeper-sofa is on the horizon as well.

New or used - if you find a 2-4 year old used one, you will save a bunch of bucks and if it's from a reputable ( that might be an oxymoron statement ) dealer, it should be a good unit. A new unit WILL have some problems necessitating at least one trip back for warranty work. More if it's a Monday built unit after a long holiday weekend.

Of course, this is only me and the DW's opinions and experience after doing this since the early '70s, starting with a 1973 Kountry Aire 5er
Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
One step ahead of you!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
If you check my posting in Product Evaluations for November 2, 2014,
Yes, I read your review of the 2014 Black Rock tt. I would add total counter space is important as is total cabinet space. Our 2005 25' hybrid (Aerolite) had a monster amount of cabinet and counter space. When we were looking to buy our next hybrid, the new 26' (2013 Aerolite) I think we lost a little counter space. The cabinets are a little deeper in size giving about the same square footage. For the 3 of us, there is plenty of storage space without having cabinets stuffed. I like the Aerolite cabinets, because opening the cabinet door exposes the whole usable space. Some brands will cut down on the size of the cabinet door to save cost, but when you open that cabinet door, you have to reach over inside the cabinet to get and place stuff.

We camp 50-60 nights a year. We do many 2 week long trips, so backup supplies have there place in each cabinet. Yesterday I just made reservations for a 22 day trip to Northeast. PA. & VT. next Aug.

Just want to say this again, watch the capacity of the fresh water tank. For a 18' to 26' tt a 20 to 30 gallon tank is small. 30 to say 39 is average. 40 and over is a good size. Our 2005 had a 46 and our 2013 has a 53 gallon fresh. That will get us 3 or 4 days of showers when we are at places without showers or electric. It will give us 7 days of water for a few showers, dishes, toilet outside shower. Have gone 10 days without running out of water.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Sounds like a normal trailer purchase dilemma we have all faced.

OK - first of all, since you are at least in your mid 60s based on 43 years of wedded 'bliss', you already know that one or both of you need to make one or unannounced O dark thirty trips from the cozy bed to that throne room every night, hence, a walk around bed is a requirement

.... (see above)
A very helpful post and this one gets a bookmark! Many thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful reply.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will help you with one part of that.. Ducted v/s Non-Ducted air

Non Ducted is NOISY, and I mean NOISY.. Ducted,,, i sometimes have to touch the unit to see if it's running. (Brain filters out what little noise there is).

Now: Crazy v/s sane This is often the same as Fun v/s Boring

Sanity, is boring,, insanity,,, I do not suffer from (I enjoy it too much).