Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Only shore power

On a 2000 Aerolite Cub 21, we have never conscienciously used battery power, always hooked up at a campground or in the yard. I put in a brand new Die Hard Marine/Rv battery, disconnected from shore power and I have no electricity. I hooked up to the tow vehicle and still no power inside the camper (running lights work). Next i checked all the fuses in the power center and they are good. I searched for another fuse between the battery and power center but did not find one. One last thing, I did clean the battery connectors and still didn't have any success. Any help or guidance is appreciated in advance. Thank you

Jon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

I know you said the battery is brand new but is it charged?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jon welcome to irv2.
Here is a link to the 12V side of life.
It will explain your RV's electrical systems.
It shows 12V & 6V battery connections.
IF you marked your battery connections before pulling off old batts you may have a reversal, and make sure you have good battery ground connections to frame of your RV.
If your shore power cable is plugged in you will have power for lights off your converter.
A new battery needs to be charged by a good 12v battery charger.
A converter or Gen will take to long to charge a new battery bank.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

Thank you for the prompt feedback. I did have the battery in the camper and hooked up to shore power for about 18hours before disconnecting and discovering this. Additionally I made the assumption the battery came charged. However, the answer is no, I do not know the battery is charged, I will put it on a charger in the morning. Would it seem reasonable that of the battery is dead, then the interior lights, etc. Won't work when I am hooked up to my tow vehicle? Are they separate systems? Thanks again for the resources and help. I will report back when I test the battery.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

Is there battery disconnect switch perhaps? If yes and the switch is off you won't have any power to the coach frm the battery and the battery will not be charged while plugged in. I suspect the battery was charged when you bought it. Folks don't let batteries sit in the store without being charged lest they go to crud.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #6

Tom
I did look for a battery disconnect switch but didn't see one in a an obvious spot. Where would a logical place be for such a switch? Near the battery, under the rig, at power center etc.

Thank you

Jon
Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some I believe have wire tow to provide battery charge to TT while driving.
Battery cut off switch would be inside display area for your tanks and water heater switch or you may not have one in TT.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #8

Today I got a multimeter and did some more testing. I battery is good and so is connection at the dc fuse (a small box with two poles that is about a foot from the battery). I checked the fuses and though they are good, there was no power across them. I think I have a bigger problem, something for after we get back. Time for the pros! Thanks again for the help, I learned a lot about the electrical system and knowledge is good.
Jon
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

In the positive wiring, near the battery(s) there is a circuit breaker in many RV's. It has a tiny reset button on one end, very hard to see unless you know what to look for and where.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Many RVs have what is called the Salesman Switch. It is just as you go threw the door and usually on the left. Generally reachable while standing on the ground by the open door, Allegro5
Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you test the battery to insure it actually has a charge? I saw no mention of that. I like to test under load, I have several ways to do that, including 12 volt "Trouble lights" with battery clips, that's the best for this job.

Then follow the power Move the negative lead to the chassis, and follow out along the positive till you no longer "See the light" Whatever you just passed *IS* the problem.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #12

Jonreed,
If you haven't found your problem yet, I think Ray above has the correct answer--the circuit breaker near the battery should have a TINY reset button on one side of it--very hard to see, best to feel around with your finger on all 4 sides to see if it is there. If you find one, just push it back in to reset.
This problem is more common than you would think, it has happened to me several times in my last 3 trailers.
Just about any action with moving the battery/reconnecting wires is liable to cause the breaker to open--any momentary short/spark from moving wires might open it.
Hope it is this simple...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The circuit (I will leave off the ground) In many motor homes and trailers

Battery---Breaker---Switch--Fuse block---Loads

In this set up the converter can be "T"ed in at any point up to and including the fuse block.

In some older rigs, OFten the converter in thiese rigs is a Magnetek 6300, it was very popular.. There are, I assume other models that are just like it but not being a professional RV technician I've never seen them.

Battery--Switch----6300 --Loads

The 6300 is many things, ti's the converter, breaker box (120 volts) and DC distribution panel (Fuse block) it also contains a transfer switch,, Battery or converter power.

In this unit the relay that connects the battery to the lights can fail.

You did good when you started.. You said you had power to the breaker (Sounds like you have the first setup, you called it "The DC FUSE" but it's most likely a breaker) did you check BOTH terminals? From there find the switch

The switch may be a solenoid. (Usually is in fact)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you have +12VDC at the battery + terminal (referenced to ground) but no +12VDC at the 12 volt fuse panel in the RV, obviously there's something breaking the circuit between the two. After checking for the following two possibilities, I'd just get out the multimeter and start chasing electrons.

On my previous Jayco 5th wheels, there is an weathertight inline fuse holder in the positive cable of the coach battery probably 6" from the positive terminal from which it begins its run to the converter and fuse panel. It's easy to overlook.

On my current 5th wheel, there's a battery disconnect "salesman switch" behind the locking door at the road side front of the RV where the leveling jack switches are located. It's easy to bump it off accidently.

Good luck!

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power