Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Open Range

I had decided on a Winnebago Ultra Lite only to find that I can't get 2 A/C units on the model I want. Lately I've been looking around more, and have decided to give Open Range a look. Anybody out there in RV land got one? If so, how's the quality of the build? What are your likes and dislikes? Any info or opinion is welcome. Thanks in advance...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Open Range

schrederman,

There is a guy here at the park where we have our 5er on the lake. he has a 2011 model year, bunkhouse version, the biggest one that they have in the 3X model. The only thing that he has had trouble with it was the refrigerator was going out, had extended warranty on it. Had them out last month and this month for the same thing. They found the cause of it this month. The electrical conduit hung down and rubbed on the tire, wearing through the conduit and the wire causing it to short out. They ran new wire and I'm presuming new conduit also, but raised it up so that it would not drag on the tire anymore. This is the only problem that I know of.

This is the brand that I am looking for our next trailer. Only problem, DW wants a trailer, and I want a 5er. I really like the way that they put it into the zero degree room and the temperatures that they have documented after 5 hrs. Those kind of numbers are what I really like after freezing my six off last fall at night while hunting. I just don't know about any one who would buy a new camper without a furnace in it. But then I wonder why we bought it fully knowing that it didn't have one in it either. That led to a lot of work adding insulation on the bottom of the dinette seats and the sofa area, as well as the wheelwells

BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
dfm

We have a 2015 Open Range 340 flr Trailer . We picked this model because of the unique floorplan . It is like a bumper pull 5th wheel in reverse, if that makes any sense. The most storage I could find in a trailer and I still have all my truck box.
The finish quality has been good with no significant problems. Excellent heat distribution and cooling!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks... that's reassuring. My problem isn't usually staying warm, but cool. We do camp in the winter some, though.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

We have 2012 Roamer 320RES and, although we have only had it for a few months and have only been out twice, we have zero complaints. We did make some furniture changes, but that was a preference thing. It has all the room the 2 of us need and I love the 2nd AC in the bedroom.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
dfm.......... Wow! I just had time to look at the 340 FLR online... That's a beautiful rig! It doesn't fit my needs but I am inspired... Thanks and congrats on a very nice rig!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
dfm.......... Wow! I just had time to look at the 340 FLR online... That's a beautiful rig! It doesn't fit my needs but I am inspired... Thanks and congrats on a very nice rig!
Sadly, OR is discontinuing the Journeyer line. It's possible they may continue the JT240FLR in the Roamer line but I kind of doubt it since they have a new one in that line that is similar but with less outside storage. It's a pity because I was considering getting the JT340FLR and I don't like the new Roamer as much.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
So, what's the difference between the Journeyer line and the Roamer line? I am really tired of having to repair stuff all the time, so the glitz part of all of this isn't really appealing as much as a quality build. I don't want to trade a fixed, mediocre trailer for a new mediocre trailer and start fixing all over again. Trying to find something not stuck together with chewing gum is getting frustrating.... but I love my grand kids and want to take them to the great outdoors, so I guess I must persevere...

Thanks, all, for the responses, and please keep them coming.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
dfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Thank You . We are enjoying it. We love the interior room and all the exterior storage. With the rear storage it keeps the hitch weight down as well. Using a Reese Dual Cam and it pulls perfect.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #10

5 summers and 2 winters in my Open Range

I have a 2012 391RES they stopped making that model but have come out with lots of new ones. We love ours and it has plenty of storage. They come with a 2 year warranty. We've had a few problems but the company repaired everything and added extras to boot. The service center in Shipshewana is very good. Checkout the openrangeowners.com forum, lots of great info on it.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #11

The Journeyer line is gone. The 340FLR is now in Roamer and Mesa Ridge line. JMO but the Mesa Ridge looks pretty nice. Only issue I have is why does Open Range insist on running the decals over the windows? Our previous TT had decals on the windows. Hated it. I'm sure they're easy enough to remove, but why?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #12

Decals

I know some have removed them. Personally I thought they would drive me nuts, but I don't even notice them anymore. The thing is we have a huge rear window and it doesn't have any stickers on it.

They are coming out with new colors on the Mesa Ridge. Lots of new stuff coming out like the fifth wheel Toy hauler.

The Journeyer line was Travel Trailers and Open Range line was fifth wheels as well as the residential line. They moved some of the Open Range line and Journeyer Line over to the Roamer line, (which at one time didn't have all the bells and whistles, like The Corian counter tops). They have up grated the Roamer line. They have eliminated the Residential line and created the 3X Line which has thicker walls and is a step up. They still have the light line, the new ultra lights and the Highlander TT toy hauler.