Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Opinions on Skyline Koala 24 RBK

I am getting close on buying this trailer. Can anyone tell me if these trailers are put together correctly?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #2

My wife and I bought a Koala last year and I must tell you that it is by far the worst camper that we have ever owned. We were convinced by the dealership that it was a top quality camper. Every trip that we went on last year we had to cut short because of problems with the plumbing, electrical and heating. Now We have a camper that we are afraid to take anywhere . My advice is to avoid this company.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

kdymond - thanks for the unput. My dealer also keeps saying how good they are but I see used 2012 ones on the lots already.

I was also looking at AirStream trailers - they are also junk as they leak as the rivits come loose.

What model did you buy?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
kdymond - thanks for the unput. My dealer also keeps saying how good they are but I see used 2012 ones on the lots already.

I was also looking at AirStream trailers - they are also junk as they leak as the rivits come loose.

What model did you buy?
We bought the 23CS, we have been camping for 15 years and had several campers and never had problems like we are having with this camper. We are currently working with the Pennsylvania Department of Consumer Protection Agency to settle this with the company. The company will not replace the camper even though we were told that they used faulty glue in their plumbing joints.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Tuff,

We purchased the Layton Skyline. They have several models that travel really well. We bought the mod 312 and literally have not had but one minor issue which the dealer corrected immediately. We are in the north east and use ours frequently. I feel the Layton folks make a nice TT but of course the dealer will drive your price. There is a big RV show at the AC Convention centre where several Layton's and many others will be on display. Good luck.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Skyline makes several identical models with different names. Nomad, Aljo, Mountain View, Layton, all sell identical Model 196S Joey Select. The Koala is lightly different, but basically the same. All the above are "ultra-light" TTs, so don't expect better than paper-thin interior partitions (walls). But the components such as furnace, and reefer and AC are industry-standard quality components.

We decided on a 2012 Nomad Joey Select Model 196S last year. The dealer we like happened to have one in stock, and he sold it to us for the "internet price" of the volume dealers back east. We then towed it on a 4,500 mile trip from Texas to Tennessee to Detroit to Ontario to northeastern Michigan, then home. Later we towed it on a 700-mile trip through the Texas Hill Country. No problems whatsoever.

We too are experienced RVers, and this Slyline is the best of the other RVs we've owned. No reason to take it back to the dealer for fixing something, and it's a year old now.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #7

We bought a 2013 Koala 24 RBK specifically to make a trip to Alaska. We ended up going south to Alabama, then west to California, up the west coast, through Canada and into Alaska. Toured Alaska, then took a different route back to Arizona before finally returning home to Ohio. I did crack a closet shelf by overloading it, and I fabricated some floor pan material after discovering they covered the outdoor kitchen p-trap hole using duct tape [whaaat?!?]. All in all, the coach towed and performed well, was comfortable and gave us good service during an 8-month, 17,500 mile trip. I don't know of any new RV [of any type/class] that doesn't need a little "tweaking" but this one was pretty good. We have a Travel Supreme diesel pusher as our usual RV. We bought the Koala for the Alaska trip and planned to sell it after, but we enjoyed it so much, we've decided to keep it!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Really happy with our 2014 Skyline Weekender.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #9

Forgot something

I forgot to mention, one of the major reasons we purchased our 2013 Koala 27 RBK was the VERY useable bathroom, something you don't always find on small to medium travel trailers. The bathroom size seems linked to the outdoor kitchen, and as such, is much larger than other models we looked at. The outdoor kitchen is equipped much better than others we've seen in travel trailers and class C motorhomes!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #10

We have had a 2012 Koala 21CS since July 2013. It hasn't given me a moments trouble. I have put over 17k miles on it, including a cross country trip of 7.9k miles.

I'm selling my 21CS in order to buy a larger 23CS.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Skyline makes good RV trailers.

We bought a new 2012 Skyline Nomad Joey 196S back in 2011, and it's perfect for two old folks to tow with an F-150. Good points were walk-around queen bed, large closet in the back plus the two small wardrobe closets on each side of the bed, real shower in the bathroom without having to sit on the pottie to take a shower, fully self-contained with adequate AC, hot water, furnace, microwave, gas stove and oven.

Not so good is the cramped interior without a slide. Only one person can be in the kitchen/hallway at one time. If Momma's in the Kitchen, Daddy has to be somewhere else - on the bed, in the dinette, in the bathroom, or outside walking the dog. But that's the cost of towing an RV with a half-ton pickup without overloading the pickup.

Improvements we made to our Skyline Nomad Joey 196S:

Replaced the cheap queen-size mattress with a Serta EuroTop from Sam's Club.

Replaced the Goodyear Marathon ST205/75R14 tires with one-size-up Maxxis ST215/75R14 trailer tires. The Marathons were rated for plenty of weight capacity to handle the 5,600 pounds GVWR of the Joey, but I've had blowouts with Marathon tires before and I've never had a problem with several sets of Maxxis tires on other trailers.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Replaced the Goodyear Marathon ST205/75R14 tires with one-size-up Maxxis ST215/75R14 trailer tires. The Marathons were rated for plenty of weight capacity to handle the 5,600 pounds GVWR of the Joey, but I've had blowouts with Marathon tires before and I've never had a problem with several sets of Maxxis tires on other trailers
Smoky ? This week I was all set to replace my 4 year old 14" China tires with Marathon's till I started seeing all the issues with them. I had thought they were "good" tires. Now I'm back peddling...Your the 3rd person who removed their Marathon's and replaced with Maxxis tires....

Were leaving for Alaska in a few weeks and don't want to worry about tires. Since 99' we have never had any flat tires....and don't surely want any up north. We have the same ST205/75R14 tires on our 26' 2013 Aerolite hybrid now...Can you go to a 215 tire?

I checked out locations on the Maxxis website and it says they are over 100 miles away. None in Cleveland Ohio. I emailed them to see if the website was wrong.

Thanx...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
We have the same ST205/75R14 tires on our 26' 2013 Aerolite hybrid now...Can you go to a 215 tire?
I did. No problems with room inside the wheel well for the taller tires.

However I misspoke when I said I replaced the Marathons with Maxxis. I have Maxxis on two other trailers with excellent service, so I was intending to replace the tires on my TT with Maxxis too.

But time didn't allow me to getter done before we had to leave on a 3,000 mile trip. So 1,400 miles back east near Charleston SC I had time to check into replacing the trailer tires. I settled on Towmax ST215/75R14. Power King Towmax is not a big name, but they have an excellent reputation for selling good tires. So I replaced 4 of the tires in Charleston, then after I arrived back home I ordered the 5th tire and replaced the spare tire too.

Quote:
I checked out locations on the Maxxis website and it says they are over 100 miles away. None in Cleveland Ohio. I emailed them to see if the website was wrong.
It was wrong. Discount Tire is a Maxxis dealer, and there are lots of Discount Tire stores around Cleveland. However, your local Discount Tire store may not have any Maxxis trailer tires in stock - so they may have to order them for you.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...re&typ=Trailer

In the following link, click on "store locator" or "Store hours and Locations" to find the Discount Tire stores near you.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do
Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
It was wrong. Discount Tire is a Maxxis dealer, and there are lots of Discount Tire stores around Cleveland. However, your local Discount Tire store may not have any Maxxis trailer tires in stock - so they may have to order them for you.
Your right, Discount tire is new to our area (NE. OH.) I ordered 4 Maxxis Thursday and he said it might be 3 days before they come in. I didn't want to get this thread off topic, but the original post was in 2013. Here is the original post I started a week or so ago on replacing 14" tire other than Marathon's

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote