Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Opinions Sought -Floor Plan Question RE: 19-20 Foot Campers

Hello,
I'm looking at various 19-20' TT / Campers.
Some have permanent bed placements - usually a Queen in the back ...most don't. Most seem to have ample seating that you have to convert to a bed. These offer more "living" space and a larger bathroom.

I'd like to poll those who have one on their opinions pro and con about the two different layouts. I can see benefit to both but I haven't lived with either. I should add...my useage is mainly long weekends with the occasional vacation week.

Any recommendations in this category welcome as well - bearing in mind that I'm not in a position to buy new or even really late model

Thanks!

Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
full time beds are very nice if you are camping with 2 people - however most units in your length range put them in the rear corner - which makes for harder entry and exit and at least for me creates a real close in space - which I did not like. As for sofas that make into beds they are indeed a real PIA - but we did it when the kids were little and had their own bunks - on our TT the main dinette was our bed. I think if I had to make a choice it would be to find a floorplan that had a rear entry and bathroom, side galley and side dinette with a front gaucho that you could either leave as a bed, or make into a couch if needed see the Nash 19B plan.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

In our case we (2 of us and 3 cats) only use our TT for sleeping and watching the occaisional movie or news in the evening. Neither of us likes to assemble or disassemble a bed. We, too, didn't care for the rear bed models. Found our perfect layout in the 21' FunFinder X (a foot longer than your 19-20' range). Front queen walk around bed, no dinette, sofa in a short slide and good sized rear bathroom. We are outside 99% of the time and didn't find dinettes to be particularly comfortable for relaxing. The couch in the slide is perfect for relaxing, if we have to eat inside we have television trays to use at the couch and we only have to make the bed, not assemble or disassemble some other feature. When we want to go to bed, we just pull down the bedspread and climb in. Since it is walk around, neither one of us has to climb over the other to get in or out...and the short slide with the couch sure makes it more "spacious" feeling than its 21' length would lend you to believe.

Perfect layout for us - FunFinder X 210WBS !

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Have you thought about a hybrid tt? or a tt with a rear hard wall slide. With a 19' or 20' tt you most likely will not get a couch. And I would agree, the jack-knife couches are meant for kids. But with a hybrid in a 20' + or - you will get a floorplan with a couch most of the time. Also a small slide in a short trailer really opens up the whole unit. If in the market today for a new hybrid, a slide would be #1 on my list. When we bought our 24" Aerolite hybrid there were maybe 10 or 11 floorplans, in 11' there are maybe 3-4. I really enjoy our couch where in the evenings, if not out by the fire, I can prop up a few pillows and read my paper or watch the TV while relaxing on the coach. Counter space too rear cabinets couch slide
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
IC2

We had a 19-20 foot rear bath, middle kitchen and a front LR with facility to make up a bed in a TT. While it gave us a lot of room in a small space, it really cramped us if one wanted to stay up and read/watch the tube or even play on the computer. It would make up to a 3+ sleeper if you used the dinette for kids. We then went to a bigger unit with a rear BR, walk through bath/mid kitchen and front LR. That was even better as it did allow for some privacy. The 5er now - much better yet for us, but not necessarily a unit for all folks.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

IF the length limitation is because of $$$, you might discover that the limitations leave you with an RV you don't really like - and that negatively colors your view and enjoyment of RVing in general. The best RV, is one that is liked and USED often by the owners.

We bought our 24 foot '88 KIT 5er because it had 4 distinct areas - the bed in front, the living room area with an easy chair and full size couch that would also make into a bed - then the kitchen and dinette that also made into a bed if needed - and then a full-featured bathroom with tub/shower combo in the rear.

We really LIKE that 5er - still have it, and it's been across the USA several times - about 150,000 miles worth. We've spent 4 months at a time in it during the winter in Florida, and never felt cramped.

One of the best $15,000 we spent!

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #7

only so much you can do with a 19 to 20 ft space, puma makes a model 18db, 19fs and 20qb. go to Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968, you can see the floorplans under the puma brand.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #8

I also love the Fun Finders and suggest you look into their floorplans.

I would not go with the bed in the back corner. Having to crawl over someone is not my cup of tea, nor is the "closed-in feeling". I'd need a good-sized window for the person on the inside.

If you want a small trailer, but extra room for cooking, lounging, dressing, watching tv, you might consider an add-a-room. That's what gets us from sleeping two (we have a queen bed) to four, plus dog crates and chairs. I know you can get them for pop-ups, R-Pods, and T@Bs. Here is our set-up:

If I'm solo, I have a stationary bed. If DH is along, we fold the table down for a queen. The college kids have cots or airbeds in the add-a-room. They sleep in comfort, too, because the heat and air takes care of the room, too.

Just another thing to consider, possibly...

My parents had different versions: small Shasta without stationary bed, larger Shasta with two singles plus two bunks, a Class C with two singles plus over cab bed. If you can do it, the stationary bed is the route to go IMO.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #9

Years ago we used to have a trailer this size that required us to "assemble" the bed from the dining booth. It was all we could afford, and a real irritation when day-time activities meant we came back to the trailer very tired, and had to assemble our bed before we could sleep.
Speaking of room, I always wondered why the RV industry has never offered a Murphy-bed option for the main bed; especially in this trailer length. It would expand day-time floor space while still offering a solid, comfortable bed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
That Add-a Room looks great - and that it's served by the HVAC of the camper is a real plus.
Looking at various options I tend to agree with those who advise against the corner bed. The RV show opens next week - we'll be there to see what we like in the new rigs so we can better choose something we can afford :~)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When you go to the show take a camera and a notebook, take lots of notes and pictures to augment the brochures. Try to not make a snap decision at the show - keep telling yourself that you are only looking. Also at shows, most dealers take only their largest models - or at least the most expensive - and sometimes even slow movers - all so they can play lets make a deal.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Years ago we used to have a trailer this size that required us to "assemble" the bed from the dining booth. It was all we could afford, and a real irritation when day-time activities meant we came back to the trailer very tired, and had to assemble our bed before we could sleep.
Speaking of room, I always wondered why the RV industry has never offered a Murphy-bed option for the main bed; especially in this trailer length. It would expand day-time floor space while still offering a solid, comfortable bed.
YUP - both issues I harp on in various threads - too many families wanting to get a start, or insight, into RVing choose a bare minimum type RV that they quickly fall out of love with because of various handicaps smaller and cheaper RV's include - and when they get disgusted with the RV, their attraction to RVing in general often suffers as well.

And yes, looks like the Murphy Bed approach would be a great help in available space - especially in smaller rigs...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
In our case we (2 of us and 3 cats) only use our TT for sleeping and watching the occaisional movie or news in the evening. Neither of us likes to assemble or disassemble a bed. We, too, didn't care for the rear bed models. Found our perfect layout in the 21' FunFinder X (a foot longer than your 19-20' range). Front queen walk around bed, no dinette, sofa in a short slide and good sized rear bathroom. We are outside 99% of the time and didn't find dinettes to be particularly comfortable for relaxing. The couch in the slide is perfect for relaxing, if we have to eat inside we have television trays to use at the couch and we only have to make the bed, not assemble or disassemble some other feature. When we want to go to bed, we just pull down the bedspread and climb in. Since it is walk around, neither one of us has to climb over the other to get in or out...and the short slide with the couch sure makes it more "spacious" feeling than its 21' length would lend you to believe.

Perfect layout for us - FunFinder X 210WBS !
Glad to see your post! We're downsizing from our Class A MH and we're restricted on weight. The FunFinder 210WBS seems like a well built TT and I like the layout. I do wish they'd make one with the mid-wall TV swivel in a TT about a foot longer.....but ain't happened. I looked at a bunch of TT so far and I thought about going with the Edge by Heartland. Then I noticed the CruiserRV Funfinder and they seem to have a lot more bells and whistles for the weight and $$$. Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #14

Wink Good floorplan in 18-20ft

We just purchased a Palomino Puma 20QB. I think it has a brilliant floorplan. There is a queen bed in one end, but here is the brilliance--the mattress folds in half and voila--a couch! So you have bed by night, and couch by day. It also has a u-shaped dinette that makes into a bed, a typical kitchen in the middle. The back is all roomy bathroom and storage. There are only two of us travelling, so even though we have not yet made our first trip, I feel confident it will be good. The mattress actually kind of sucks for comfort, but we are going to remedy that before we go. I will let you know how our solution works. Take a look at this model.

Tags
kz-rv