Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Oregon to Florida in winter??

What route pulling a 5th wheel is advisable for trip from Portland to Florida next week 24 Feb. Would like to see the plains but worried about weather.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #2

This is a long drive. I don't know how long you want to spent traveling. A direct route will certainly take you across the rockies where you can easily encounter bad weather. I personally would go south through CA. then east. I would see the plains on my return trip, assuming the weather will be warmer. JMHO

Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Good advice from TonyDi,
I made the reverse trip last June when Tornado's were streaming across the plains. Used I-10 staying below the path's and when I got West I angled up to Seattle area.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, have fun on your trip.

If I were to do it again (east at tail end of winter) I would head south to maybe at least Bakersfield CA and head east on 40. If there were still snow in the mountain passes then head further south.

Never can be too safe driving.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge
What route pulling a 5th wheel is advisable for trip from Portland to Florida next week 24 Feb.
Been there, done that. Get onto I-5 as soon as possible. Then go south all the way to I-10. Then I-10 to Florida. You probably won't even realize when you cross the Continental Divide. Do not try to go south on U.S. 395 via Reno. Chances are good that you won't see any snow or ice anywhere on I-10 now, but freak spring storms do happen infrequently. So pack the tow vehicle for "just in case" bad weather.

Quote:
Would like to see the plains but worried about weather.
With reason. There's nothing much to see on the High Plains other than mountains and hills that you don't want to see in the early springtime. You'll see the same boring landscape on I-10, without the complications of mountain passes.

Official Winter is not over until March 21st, but the bad winter weather is usually over by Ground Hog day in west Texas. This year it hung on until Valentines day, but now Spring has sprung. From San Antonio east, you may get into rain storms, but very little chance of snow and ice that causes white-knuckle driving.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Come on over. The weather is great. We are just West of Walt Disney World.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Braggart.

Last April (30th) DW and I crossed over the great divide in the worst snowstorm I have ever been in and I spent most of my 70 years in Northern Ontario and have seen some wild snow storms.

DW wanted me to pull over and stop on the roadside but I was afraid to because as we climbed 90 in the rain going east I was between two transports and I was sure once that snow hit us that being I couldn't see the road and was following the tire tracks of the truck in from of me I was sure that the guy behind me was doing the same. Couldn't believe how has that rain became snow and then thankfully back to rain.

I was not wanting to be part of a roadkill sammich.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #8

Start checking weather.com 10 day and see what they say for cities along I 90- Laramie Wy and down to I 25 then E to Salina KS or SE through the OK panhandle. I'd bet you can run dry pavement all the way. I have run these routes for years and just keep an eye on the weather and go. Don't let a bunch of amateur weather prognosticators ruin your trip. I'd be more worried about I 5 due to Mt Shasta and the Grapevine. Have fun and don't worry about a little challenge, If it snows, do what they doo in China, "Let it snow." Oh, and I think they all buy tp and milk at Wallyworld too.

Tags
florida, winter