Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

ORV (or other west brand) on east coast?

Been looking at the usual suspects Grand Design, Winnebago Towables, Venture, etc and while they seem ok I keep coming back the the ORV and Northwood. I’m a buy the best you can afford kinda person.

However, being in SE PA means I’d pretty much have buy off pics and then there’s the no dealer for warranty or other issues.

Has anyone done it? How did/does it work?

kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Head over to the ORV Owners forum (top of page, Owners Forums), there are a fair amount of east side owners. And there is a planned get together in PA this summer. Mucho info over on the ORV owners site.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #3

The only source for a "good" trailer on the east side of the Mississippi is: https://www.kellyrvinc.com/

Fortunately for you, they are in PA.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Been looking at the usual suspects Grand Design, Winnebago Towables, Venture, etc and while they seem ok I keep coming back the the ORV and Northwood. I’m a buy the best you can afford kinda person.

However, being in SE PA means I’d pretty much have buy off pics and then there’s the no dealer for warranty or other issues.

Has anyone done it? How did/does it work?

I researched this same subject for two years before my decision to purchase the ORV 24KTS. The risk of purchasing a new RV and having to sort out the inherent bugs of a new trailer without the selling dealers service department seemed daunting. However, I was confident I could do any repair myself and ORV has a reputation of working with the new owner to assure the job is done. The repairs that I did, I received the parts from the factory, promptly. The pressed on window slide handles, were glued on with a life time warranty by a local glass company. The awning motor crapped out after an electrical storm, the factory sent a replacement and a local shop charged me to install it. The factory reimbursed me promptly for the 1/2 hour labor charge. I have tended to all the other minor issues. I'm a happy camper!

Having camped much of this winter in the unit and having no other issues, I'm feeling I've gotten past the "new RV bugs"...knock on wood!

If you want one of the "best" and are willing to pay for it, and absolutely need a local dealer, LynnMor suggested the Northwood's dealer in middle PA. I decided that I didn't want to spend the extra 14K for a similar appointed unit. Also from a dealer that was 7 hours away.

I drove out to Washington State last June/July and picked my unit up. Aside from the 100+ degree weather it was a nice trip.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
I researched this same subject for two years before my decision to purchase the ORV 24KTS. The risk of purchasing a new RV and having to sort out the inherent bugs of a new trailer without the selling dealers service department seemed daunting. However, I was confident I could do any repair myself and ORV has a reputation of working with the new owner to assure the job is done. The repairs that I did, I received the parts from the factory, promptly. The pressed on window slide handles, were glued on with a life time warranty by a local glass company. The awning motor crapped out after an electrical storm, the factory sent a replacement and a local shop charged me to install it. The factory reimbursed me promptly for the 1/2 hour labor charge. I have tended to all the other minor issues. I'm a happy camper!

Having camped much of this winter in the unit and having no other issues, I'm feeling I've gotten past the "new RV bugs"...knock on wood!

If you want one of the "best" and are willing to pay for it, and absolutely need a local dealer, LynnMor suggested the Northwood's dealer in middle PA. I decided that I didn't want to spend the extra 14K for a similar appointed unit. Also from a dealer that was 7 hours away.

I drove out to Washington State last June/July and picked my unit up. Aside from the 100+ degree weather it was a nice trip.
Great info. I understand that ORV is great to work with as far as this situation is concerned. I have three very large RV dealers and shops very close, gotta believe they’d help with whatever I couldn’t handle.

I know a guy who runs boats from ENC to Washington St regularly and he often needs some to return with, think I’d let him bring it east for me.

The ORV website only shows 3 dealers in the US... that can’t be correct?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Great info. I understand that ORV is great to work with as far as this situation is concerned. I have three very large RV dealers and shops very close, gotta believe they’d help with whatever I couldn’t handle.

I know a guy who runs boats from ENC to Washington St regularly and he often needs some to return with, think I’d let him bring it east for me.

The ORV website only shows 3 dealers in the US... that can’t be correct?

The ORV websites dealer search function only lists 3dealers near the search area. If you switch zip codes or cites you will find more. By the way I have a Timber Ridge and absolutely love it. Good luck with your search!
Chris
Mr. Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Kone Been looking at the usual suspects Grand Design, Winnebago Towables, Venture, etc and while they seem ok I keep coming back the the ORV and Northwood. I’m a buy the best you can afford kinda person.
My same feelings....Had looked for about 18 months. Were from NE. Ohio. On our return trip from Alaska in Sept of 2016, we stopped at a Arctic Fox dealer in MT. Defiantly saw the better build quality I was looking for, but couldn't find a floor-plan to meet our needs. Then last spring, off IRV2 come to find out ORV was a sister company. WoW a 2nd chance to find a floorplan. Personally I like ORV's interior design better. And the thermal pane windows are standard on all their RV's.

So last springs Yellowstone trip we put it in our plans stop at a ORV dealer or two. 15 minutes after walking thru the Timber Ridge, the wife said this is the one...

We drove 4500 miles last Oct. to pick our 2018 ORV Timber Ridge 24 rks up in OR. Like ModestMonk said, the factory was very willing to send anything that might need fixed. They sent me a awning knob that was chipped, and a set of suspension rubber bushings that were cracking.

Quote:
MrCoffee: The ORV websites dealer search function only lists 3dealers near the search area. If you switch zip codes or cites you will find more. By the way I have a Timber Ridge and absolutely love it. Good luck with your search!
Chris
The closest dealer to OH. / PA. for ORV is Denver CO.

Back late last fall someone posted that us eastern ORV owner should set up a rally of our own. I posted a few possible spots. I guess someone elected me "Wagon Master". Cook Forest State Park located in Northeastern PA. is a good summertime recreational spot. Plenty to do in the area. We have been going there for 25 years. We make it a 2 week trip. (Kone) we also have trips to Laurel Hill State Park in SW. PA. (June) and Worlds End State Park in NE. PA. (Aug.)

Here is a link to the ORV Eastern Rally. ( Cook Forest State Park ) Open to anyone.... Friday July 20-22, but many of the people signed up so far are staying more than the weekend.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Bump. Getting close to doing this and looking for info (or moral support! )

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do it, you won't regret it. Can't find a better built trailer for the money. They regularly have warranty work performed by dealers that are not in their dealer network and will also use any reputable private repair facility you like, even mobile mechanics if they have a good reputation.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #10

ORV makes great trailers. Almost bought one, but decided on Lance as I didn’t want a 3/4 ton truck.
One thing to be mindful of is they can be a lot heavier than their dry weight shows on their website.
Not sure what your TV is but even the smaller ORV trailers out here in the NW are being towed with 3/4 tons.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

I find myself touting Outdoors RV and I don't even own one. They don't make in the US what I would like, (doubtful I'd pay for it if they did).
Cadet II Platinum | Kokoda Caravans

Outdoors RV is a close as it gets. Plus they have a great story. Logic dictates you would be foolish to buy an RV from the other side of the country, with no set local dealer support, yet folks do it all the time, bypassing Indiana made trailers on the way there and back. Saying goes, "If you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door". There appears to be several well worn paths towards LaGrande, OR.

Fleetwood RV used to make a great 4 seasons trailer, (Wilderness), in a little plant in LaGrande, Oregon, to serve the Northwest market. Fleetwood hit bankruptcy (not due to the great little trailers), and the plant and their local work crew went dormant. Enter Ron and Sherry Nash of Northwood Manufacturing, and the Fleetwood plant came to life with a new product, separate from Northwood, but sharing the legendary frame and strong 4 seasons design.

Here's their story:
Production Rolling at Outdoors RV - RV Life

Business Oregon Success Story|Outdoor RV Growing in Leaps and Bounds

New RV plant ships first trailer;

So, If I was going to buy new, Outdoors RV or nothing else made in the USA.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #12

Thank you all! Keep it coming please.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #13

I'm in La Grande and see ORV produts every day...most are licensed and are owned by locals or those coming through on the highway.

We full time in a 39FL RiverStone, but recently decided to purchase a smaller trailer for "adventures." We spent some time looking at light weighr trailers to pull with our Jeep, but came away with the impression the lightweights were cheap and not very well built. Because we have owned an Arctic Fox and our son owns a Nash, I started looking at ORV products instead of the lightweights. We liked the Backcountry 20RD and looked at one after the lightweights. We felt like it was home the first time we sat in it and bought it on the spot. Of course the Jeep won't pullit, so we traded our dually for a new Ram 1500 Rebel.

I just hope the Rebel works offroad decently.....but that's another story.

To add, knowing what I know about their quality and customer service, I would not be afraid to buy one over the phone from a long distance. And, if you come to pick it up in the La Grande area, I'll buy you a burger!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #14

I agree with all the post here pertaining to ORV AND Northwood quality, they are built like tanks. I'd also recommend a look at Lance, they aren't built as heavy but extremely well engineered and strong where need be. Lance is another West Coast unit, but they might have a few more dealers back east.

Currently Lance doesn't build anything larger than 23.' If you search on YouTube you'll see a 24' called 2465, it's a new Lance that should be released in a few months . This new trailer looks to be a great couple coach with two slides, King Bed, dinnette and couch. The new unit will have a disc brake option and roof racks for Kayaks. Being 24' and two slides it will be heavier than there previous models, but still possibly half ton towable, just barely.

Of course Airstream is probably King of the hill if it's to your liking and in your budget. ORV, Northwood and Lance would at the top of my list. The new Lance
2465 has me putting everything on hold, I love the King Bed idea as well as disc brakes, can't wait.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast