Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

Our experience as new RV campers

We purchased a new 2015 Jayco White Hawk Ultra Lite Travel Trailer (TT). During 6 months of owning the unit we experience more failures than expected and horrible warranty repair results. Five camping trips with failures of one kind or another every time. Some failures were simple and i fixed them myself, others required lost time at Camping World for repairs under warranty.
The day we picked up the TT, 6 hours from our home, we got a “We Owe” list from Camping World the selling dealership. The Backrest for the table booth was damaged during their clean up and prep. We left the dealership that afternoon and spent our first night camping before driving home the next day. That night the Converter ran constantly on high speed and we found the Bathroom mirror had a large blemish. We got home the next day and called the dealership, they told us to wait about three months as all new RVs have a shake and break period in which stuff tends to fail. They also told us to contact the Camping World closet to us to coordinate getting the Backrest sent there. It took more than 90 days for that item to get ordered and received, which required a lot of coordination from us - calling Jayco Customer Service and both Camping World locations.
During the 90 days that followed we continued using the TT camping at different places. The second time, the shower leaked water on the floor and we notice the inside speakers had distorted sound, also the battery was boiling and smelling. We called Jayco Customer Service and they also explained that there would be about a three month shake and break period, not to worry as all would get repaired under warranty, just keep a list of all the issues. The third time, the front of the TT started delaminating, we found a bubble in the floor near the entry door, Chip in the stove top grill and a missing grommet, shower still leaking - very disappointing.
The Backrest finally was received and Camping World scheduled our first repair. We were informed that this first appointment was mostly to verify all the problems and get parts ordered. While they were repairing the Backrest, we called Jayco Customer Service to explain our concerns about the converter running constantly and boiling the battery. Camping World confirmed the Converter was defective and Jayco sent a replacement next day priority mail. Twenty days later we got a call to pick up our TT. Camping World had replaced the Converter, sealed the shower and confirmed all the other items on our problem list. Jayco agreed and parts were on order. We arrived and did a walk thru to confirm work performed; found an Electric Control panel was not working, they immediately worked the issue but that cost us a 2 hour delay before leaving - really after 20 days they could not have tested the electrical operation after replacing the converter. Also found the front panel for the converter was bent out, nothing was done for that. We brought the TT home, I took the panel off the Converter and found electrical wires and wire nuts jammed in like a rats nest. It took me over an hour to properly dress the wires and remove wire nuts not needed. The repair for the Backrest was completed but caused an issue with an access cover for the water pump, it did not close completely. I had to fix this too.
The fourth time camping, shower still leaking as before the so called repair, Delamination on front of TT is getting worse and found a small tear in slide out roof. Fifth time, Water still leaking from shower - very frustrating and Electric jack now intermittent.
Four months have passed now. Second time into Camping World for repairs of items noted during first repair/inspection. About 60 days later got the TT back, onsite walk thru seemed all was good. We got the TT home and started making the bed, and thats when we saw a horrible issue resulting from the Delamination repair. Camping World had to remove and replace the entire front of the TT. Well, in both corners where the mattress meets the bulkhead wall and the wardrobe closet we could see daylight. On both sides there is a 3/8 inch wide by 5 inch long gap and inside one wardrobe closet there was another gap we could see daylight. Disappointment with our purchase and Frustration getting the better of us, we RAN to a different RV dealership and traded the Jayco in for a trailer made by a different company.
For the Jayco Ultra Lite TT as mentioned earlier, i did some repairs myself. During these repairs I found several areas of poor workmanship; warped wood framing, excessive staples used to secure boards some of which missed the mark causing the wood to split, equipment installed was not centered inside the space so screws used to hold the item caused the wood edges to split, those speakers - i found had been crushed during assembly, lower end appliances, we just had a feeling of poor quality especially in the workmanship. Our experience with our Jayco Customer Service Rep was good, however Jayco has refused to compensate us for any loses.
For Camping World; we paid $580 for “Documentation Fee” to the selling dealership. Thirty days after sale we tried to register the TT at our local tax office - Camping World had not sent the documentation in - luckily the registry extended the temp tag for another 30 days. We called Camping World to inquire about there inability to process the required documentation, 15 days later the tax office received the necessary form. Neither the sales or service staff ever called with any followup to include our “We Owe” list concerns. With regards to the Camping World where the TT was serviced, the service advisor assigned to our case was most helpful, BUT - it was obvious they had poor quality of service in workmanship. Camping World also refused to compensate us for any losses.
(IMO) Our experience left us believing the quality of construction for this Ultra Lite trailer is substandard. Conners must be cut somewhere to lower the weight and cost, that coupled with mass production will yield a poor quality product. Poor after sales Customer Service and poor Repair Service at two Camping World locations will keep us clear of doing business with them.* Lastly, we will not accept a RV with a “We Owe” list again, to much hassle getting the fixes needed after the fact. Hopefully this year with our new camper will leave us with a better feeling about RVing. Good Camping……
Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

I would call Jayco and see if there is either a Jayco specific dealer/service center you can take it to, or if they have a way you can take it to the factory for some of these repairs much like a lot of the major RV manufacturers do. Some of your problems most likely can't be fixed at a Camping World facility, as they require a better knowledge of the unit. Most likely no manufacturer is going to compensate you for any lost time, but you might get Jayco to extend the warranty based on your lost time, it's worth asking for. Good luck and hopefully the bugs are all gone and you can start enjoying it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Might post this over in the Jayco side. Having owned a Jayco, I hear you on the factory wiring. However, I generally felt that the construction was above average for the industry.

It also seems that your dealings with Camping World result in multiple trips for the same issue and sub-standard repairs... CW has a lot of complaints.

Jayco has a 2-year warranty, so still some time to get this resolved - unlike many 1 year warranties which may run out during the multi-month repair process.

Tried to get it escalated with Jayco?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I would call Jayco and see if there is either a Jayco specific dealer/service center you can take it to, or if they have a way you can take it to the factory for some of these repairs much like a lot of the major RV manufacturers do. Some of your problems most likely can't be fixed at a Camping World facility, as they require a better knowledge of the unit. Most likely no manufacturer is going to compensate you for any lost time, but you might get Jayco to extend the warranty based on your lost time, it's worth asking for. Good luck and hopefully the bugs are all gone and you can start enjoying it.
He traded the TT for a different manufacturer.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles Broda.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
He traded the TT for a different manufacturer.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles Broda.
Totally missed that......
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

Broda,

As I see it.... Your first mistake was going to Camping World... Your second mistake was going to Camping World for warranty/repairs... Your third mistake was taking back to Camping World when you figured out they didn't properly fix the repairs the first time...

I'm sorry... As you begin reading thru the numerous threads here on IRV2, you'll see there is no place in the RV industry for the likes of Camping World... and a few other dealerships.. unfortunately, its the nature of the beast..

Sorry for your troubles.. I hope it doesn't deter you from the wonderful life of RV'ing..

Oh... and welcome to the IRV2 family !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Broda,

As I see it.... Your first mistake was going to Camping World... Your second mistake was going to Camping World for warranty/repairs... Your third mistake was taking back to Camping World when you figured out they didn't properly fix the repairs the first time...

I'm sorry... As you begin reading thru the numerous threads here on IRV2, you'll see there is no place in the RV industry for the likes of Camping World... and a few other dealerships.. unfortunately, its the nature of the beast..

Sorry for your troubles.. I hope it doesn't deter you from the wonderful life of RV'ing..

Oh... and welcome to the IRV2 family !!!
X2 on that!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
What make/model did you buy replacing the Jayco?
Hopefully you didn't get it through WS....
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Camping world is the WallMart of the RV world, not to put down Wallmart. They have a place but RV sales and repairs are not it, JMO. I would not take my Truck to wallmart for service or repair but I might buy a garden hose there.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have yet to see a manufacturer of RV's compensate owners for loss of use, in fact the warranty will usually say there is no compensation nor payment for transportation for repairs or loss of use.
Plus there are very few "Lemon Laws" that cover RV's, especially TT's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #11

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I seem to read "bad experience" and "Camping World" in the same sentence far too often and I've not been into this hobby for that long. I'm very fortunate to have bought a lightly used well built TT from some family friends. I hope your experience improves.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #12

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Our friends also had a huge list with there jayco trailer.

And I have also heard from others about way to many issues.

And this is why I will not own a jayco product.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #13

My condolences as I had similar issues with Camping World and Crossroads and I much to my chagrin received a lot of negative feedback from people because I told my story. I do not accept excuses anymore when it comes to repairs or buying products. I can't imagine how we are supposed to believe that our hard earned or not money is ok to spend BUT we have to accept crappy service and nonsense excuses concerning what we get for our money. What happened to our country? There are a few things you can do right away when you are getting screwed, document everything, photograph everything and when you call to check the progress or status record the conversation as well as date and time as you may need it for litigation later. When you feel your getting shafted mention you have reported other businesses you felt were not providing the services or products you expected to the better business bureau and when you do be sure to alert them of the case number as this usually gets their attention and serious businesses will correct the issues promptly when you agree to drop the case when they correct the problems.

I realize I just ranted a bit but when you get shafted and have to live with your own stupidity because you trusted a salesperson or got manipulated by a large company its hard to read stories where other families are still dealing with junk. We are America we should be proud of our work and show it in the products and services we provide.

Just saying......
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
My condolences as I had similar issues with Camping World and Crossroads and I much to my chagrin received a lot of negative feedback from people because I told my story. I do not accept excuses anymore when it comes to repairs or buying products. I can't imagine how we are supposed to believe that our hard earned or not money is ok to spend BUT we have to accept crappy service and nonsense excuses concerning what we get for our money. What happened to our country? There are a few things you can do right away when you are getting screwed, document everything, photograph everything and when you call to check the progress or status record the conversation as well as date and time as you may need it for litigation later. When you feel your getting shafted mention you have reported other businesses you felt were not providing the services or products you expected to the better business bureau and when you do be sure to alert them of the case number as this usually gets their attention and serious businesses will correct the issues promptly when you agree to drop the case when they correct the problems.

I realize I just ranted a bit but when you get shafted and have to live with your own stupidity because you trusted a salesperson or got manipulated by a large company its hard to read stories where other families are still dealing with junk. We are America we should be proud of our work and show it in the products and services we provide.

Just saying......
Its really upsetting to hear anyone having these troubles and I am truly sorry for the Ops thread, but I think RVGUY1966 nailed it. We've paid a lot of money for these RV's. Why is the quality so bad so often. Is it an industry where anything goes and a lottery on the quality?
In fairness maybe only the bad gets voiced, maybe we forget to post all the positives?... Just saying.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote