Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Our First Learn The Hard Way Event !!

Another great weekend trip to our favorite local southern Ga. State Park, except the weather was also going to give us our first rain laden one. Our site was well protected from the winds ( nestled amist a lot of tall pines ), with lite rain falling we decided to go shopping and leave the awning up to keep the patio furn. dry ( but did decide to lower one corner a bit ) , well big mistake !!! . Came back several hours later and the awning roller tube is snapped in half !!!How could that happen ???? I lowered the corner , nothing fell on it ???? Talking to a local that lives near the park said it rained 4 in. in about hour !!!

So Damage done !! All looks repairable except the tube, the fabric looks undamaged, and the P.O. had just replaced it from a wind storm just befor we bought it.

Now the questions, i have founf the new tube, and the job does not seem to hard to do, problem is the frt. is as much as the new tube, total around 300.00.

Any tips or suggestions !!!

Thanks All
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	67821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	67823  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

PS-- I have found a mx-57 repair system for repairing a broken roller tube, but it's almost as expensive as a new tube, once again after you factor in the frt.

Jim

Old 07-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

So sorry for the problem rideandslide. On our last RV's, we always left the awnings out and lowered. I would suspect the 4 inches of rain overpowered the the spring tension in the roller. Maybe the PO didn't wind the spring in the tube enough and was fabric was not tight enough? I'm sure the maker of your awning has instructions you can follow for the correct number of turns to pretension the tube before use.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
problem is the frt. is as much as the new tube, total around 300.00.
Any tips or suggestions !!!
rideandslide
Sorry to hear of your trouble.
My only suggestions are:
1.) Shop for a lower freight price.
2.) Drive to the nearest seller and pick one up.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY:
3.) Never leave your awning out when it might rain...(if you HAVE TO, always lower one end of the awning so water can't puddle/pool/collect on the fabric)!
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I leave my 20' awning out when it's raining, as long as it's not windy. I do lower it half way down on one side and all the way down on the other... never had a problem. The water runs right off the down end. That being said, mine comes way down, and I've seen some that don't...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
From the looks of the pictures you had the awning to flat with not nearly enough slope. The brace supports I see you removed from the side of the trailer. This in itself is not a good Idea. Without being attached to the trailer you can not keep the awning taut. Water pooled in the center and when the weight became too great the roller snapped.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

Had to remove the one support rail to get into the trailer after the collapse, but obvious, thats what happened. Was told by an RV shop that it is impossible to remove the canvas ( which looks fine )from the roller once it bends ! I'm sure he's right in his timelime, and whats to sell me the entire awning . I think i can, and hope just to replace or repair the roller tube !!

Any Thoughts ???????????? Jim
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
.......I'm sure he's right in his timelime, and whats to sell me the entire awning . I think i can, and hope just to replace or repair the roller tube !!

Any Thoughts ???????????? Jim
It looks like you are going to spend around $600 for tube and roller from your post. If you can't find a way to reduce the freight, you may be better off to buy a new awning. I looked at Camping World's offering online and they start around $600 and go up.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

I bought an 8' awning for our slide out from CW and for something like that "free freight" for GS members does not apply. Because of the length it has to come commercial freight and it cost almost as much as the awning. I imagine they don't do the $39 install either. Is there a commercial aluminum pipe supplier near you? They might be able to supply the pipe. Another idea, shipping is a lot less if it goes to a commercial account. Do you know anyone with a business?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #10

Cheapest i have found the tube is Tweety $158+$100 shipping to a Hub. Have to see if i can get the fabric off the bent/broke roller tube.

Can "t believe there are no rv Junk/ Salvage yards out there for used parts.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Can't believe there are no rv Junk/ Salvage yards out there for used parts.
rideandslide
There are quite a few.
Google "rv salvage" for some.

Tags
vent