Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our maiden Voyage-1st Camping Trip

Well, just got back from a fun weekend of torrential downpours, tornadoes, 29 degree temperatures, malfunctioning furnace(no heat), sleet, a little snow, and a poop hose that popped off. My family and I had a BALL!

It was dark when we arrived Friday and I felt like a driver at Indy as soon as I began to back into my space. A pit crew of strangers guided me in, then leveled me side to side, removed my hitch, blocked my tires, leveled me front to back, plugged me in, turned on my frig and water tank, adjusted my antennae, and programmed my TV to receive broadcasts and invited me and my fam to a large fire with coffee, hot chocolate and goodies. I did tell them we were rookies. Remember friends, I knew no one in this group. They're a group of campers that has organized campouts every week/weekend called the Star Blazers. I joined and forked over the steep $10.00 initiation fee.

Within 2 hours I made about 40 new and wonderful friends of all ages. My twins hooked up with kids there own age and played baseball, football, exchanged Facebook info, and they didn't even mention video games(a vacation first). Everybody had to tour our trailer, while we were invited to tour everyone else's. Picked up a bunch of tips from seasoned veterans. I did explain I was in training to become SUPER CAMPER. It was almost surreal what happened at this campout. At one point, I had 13 people and 2 dogs(not mine) in my trailer.

We had an official meeting Saturday night where I was nominated to be the new social chairperson(how cool) . I declined because of my erratic schedule. We parted yesterday afternoon with lots of handshaking and hugs from the ladies(I really enjoyed that) and returned home to find emails from some of the members already....WOW!

I thought I died and went to camping heaven. What wonderful people! I'm hooked

Tom

Coach-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #2

Welcome to the great world of RV'ing and camping. As you experienced, you will meet a great bunch of folks all over America.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #3

Sounds like a real great bunch of folks. It kind of reminds me of the first time we attended the local Coachmen campout. I'm glad you had a great time. May your travels take you to many more.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now you can watch Robin Williams movie "RV" from a whole new prospective.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Now you can watch Robin Williams movie "RV" from a whole new prospective.

God...Ain't it the truth?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you had a blast. That's what camping is all about, getting to know people and having fun. I hope you lerned alot during your inageral voyage.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Sounds like you had a blast. That's what camping is all about, getting to know people and having fun. I hope you lerned alot during your inageral voyage.
I did learn you need a worm drive clamp on your holding tank hose coupler. Otherwise, it shoots off. I didn't like those shoes anyways.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the first time out with a local Coachman group, told us to pick a spot we did. Took about 10 tries to back it in right. Those guys sat in their chairs mesmorized at my attempts to get it parked. Finally a bit off center but not bad. We were refered to as Lucy and Desi. A great bunch of campers. We have never met any bad campers since we've been camping. Love every minute of it. Your pleasures have just begun. Enjoy..........A loose hose now and then has never killed anyone....Enjoy your Coachman.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm planning on going out at least every other weekend and possibly more...yahooooo!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
another convert!!! love it! Soon we can take over the World. I have always said that campers are the friendlyist people you will ever meet, instant friends.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #11

CoachTom - where did you all go camping? We have only been out a couple of times -- once to a VA State Park (NO ONE being friendly there) and a gimmick trip (you have won 15 free nights!) to Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. (Had to sit through their 2 hour! pitch to buy a Membership). Several campers in Gettysburg were very friendly when we had to ask questions about using the dumping station. We are both kind of shy and our kids are all grown. Nice hearing about your 1st trip out.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cooper's Lake Campground in Slippery Rock, PA. The people that work there are also very nice and accomodating. Remember, I just so happened upon a camping group or club, and shy, I'm not? Read my foray into the wonderful world of camping here

I wanted to go out this weekend(might need pontoons) and I'll report on my next trip. Trust me, there are wonderful people out there. You'll find them...Good Luck!

Tom
Old 05-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #13

well glad u made the best of it. have fun and get back ot soon
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX-CTD View Post
well glad u made the best of it. have fun and get back ot soon
Going out for Memorial Day weekend to Camperland in Conneaut Lake Pa. Can't wait!