Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Question Outback TT Reviews

Hi Everyone,

We are upgrading from a pop up to a travel trailer in February. We spent much of the summer and fall going through units at dealers. The unit that we have narrowed our search down to is the Outback 323BH with the new Diamond Edition package. We will use the trailer for 4-5 weeks a year full time and several long weekends.

Looking for any viewpoints on the Outback brand, including initial quality, durability, and manufacturer warranty support.

We feel pretty good about this trailer meeting our needs and have an excellent relationship with the dealer. We just want to make sure there aren't any major watch-outs with this brand that we haven't considered.

Thanks,
Rob
RobNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #2

Someone will probably jump on me but oh well. I don't like Keystone because I've had multiple apart and don't like the way they do a lot of things. Now, those were older 07ish models. Haven't a new one apart yet.
But, like with any unit, it's durability is only dependent on you. If it's in the sun all the time and never washed/resealed/maintained, it'll rot out real fast.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #3

Coastal Campers
You might want to browse around on www.outbackers.com to see what owners think about their units. Most owners - including us - love our Outbacks, but, like with any manufacturer, there are a few problems out there. If you have a good dealer that you trust, that will work well in your favor.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Thanks for your input!! I have done quite a bit of perusing around the Outbackers.com site. It is great, but I've been worried that folks are a bit positively biased so wanted to get opinions from a non brand specific forum.

The major concern I'm worried about is delamination, which I've read has been a historical problem with the brand.

Thanks again.
Rob
Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #5

Coastal Campers
From what I have heard and seen, delamination of the front panel on Outbacks was a significant problem which Outback addressed by starting to use a molded fiberglass nosecone in place of a laminated front - maybe for the 2011 models?? Originally the fiberglass nosecone was white, but then the color was changed to dark brown. Apparently there has been a problem with the dark colored fiberglass gelcoat fading prematurely on some trailers. Fading and curling of the decals also appears to be a problem on older units, but a higher quality decal is supposedly being used now.

Again, if you have a good dealer, he should be able to work out any problems under warranty.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have asked every Outback owner I have seen, in the past 7 years, as I full time in one. (hundreds of people).

NOT ONE person has ever said they hate theirs. I can't say that for other brands. Small problems? Sure, but overall they provide a good value.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #7

Dog Folks thanks for that perspective. That is VERY reassuring!

WiliWali. Thanks for that history on the front cap and what has been done by Keystone to address it. We were recently at Holman's and there was an Outback with the dark brown cap which had some serious fading on the top section. It was waiting repair. The other concern about the dark cap is it can cause the front of the camper to get quite warm during the day. The dealer tells me that is more of an issue in the south. it seems like a lot of manufacturers are moving to darker exterior colors.

Again--very helpful. Thank you.

Rob