Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #15

A cold fridge will last a good 6 hrs without power more if you put frozen stuff in just a thought. We have gone a 13hr day of traveling without propane to our main fridge. The other thing is a small inverter may be what you need

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
Is it normal for the outdoor kitchen fridge to not have propane and only run off AC?
It is normal for the outdoor fridge to be Electric. I looked real hard yesterday at the Houston RV show and didn't see any rig with two propane/electric fridges. All the outdoor fridges were 120v.

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
A cold fridge will last a good 6 hrs without power more if you put frozen stuff in just a thought.
We have tried this ONCE w/our main fridge.

Background info: We always turn on the fridge the night before we depart. This pre-cools the fridge/freezer so when we pack it is at temperature. We leave it on propane while traveling.

Our usual routine has us empty the fridge when we get home and of course shut it off. I usually go in there the next day and wipe out all the remaining water from the freezer to keep it from rusting.

One time I figured we could shut the fridge off a couple hours before arriving home so that I could dry it out after it is emptied to save a trip the next day. What we found was that the fridge and food had moisture all over it. The food was cold but everything was wet. The Mrs. didn't care much for that.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
We have tried this ONCE w/our main fridge.

Background info: We always turn on the fridge the night before we depart. This pre-cools the fridge/freezer so when we pack it is at temperature. We leave it on propane while traveling.

Our usual routine has us empty the fridge when we get home and of course shut it off. I usually go in there the next day and wipe out all the remaining water from the freezer to keep it from rusting.

One time I figured we could shut the fridge off a couple hours before arriving home so that I could dry it out after it is emptied to save a trip the next day. What we found was that the fridge and food had moisture all over it. The food was cold but everything was wet. The Mrs. didn't care much for that.
Yes that does happen sometimes. But its kind of that or be bothered with repairing or replacing a fridge that works fine on electric. We will be replacing our main fridge with a residential unit once it goes out. We over look it because we know the situation
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #19

I just went through the same exercise a few months ago, and Bunkhouse trailers with slide in the bunkhouse are all going to be "31xxxx", and have an actual length of 35'+.

Most trailer manufacturers have similar floor plans. So, if you want to be in the under 30' range, bunkhouse look at something like the Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS or Passport 2400BHS. Stay under "29xxxx" is you want to stay below 32'. The Passport 2920BH might fit the bill.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #20

So many to choose from. My brain is on overload. Thanks for the great replies so far. I am still interested in any others people might know of. I have been looking at so many over the last two weeks that I am getting sick of looking (on the internet).
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #21

What we have found works well is to prioritize your list of must-have features. Start with 5 to make it simple. You would be amazed how short the list of possible trailers gets.

There are a lot of nice-to-have features and that is where we got hung up and wasted a bunch of time looking.

Our list Was:
1 Safe to tow cross country w/existing vehicle
2 under $25k
3 normal size queen bed
4 bunkhouse that slept 3 adults
5 outdoor kitchen w/sink, fridge

The list of possible trailers got real short and our shopping was much more efficient.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #22

We just purchased a coachman 310BHDS freedom express. Liberty edition. This unit is loaded with extras. Indoor fireplace with actual heat output. Not just for show. Upgraded interior material and upgraded appliances. Two slides on the drivers side. Outdoor kitchen with all the important stuff. Check it out. Dry weight is around 7200 lbs. 36 ft long. We love all the room.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #23

Thanks for all of the help. I ended up picking up the 2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS for $27162.11 out the door with the 14k# equal-i-zer hitch, 15k AC, Hide-a-bed, technology package, customer value package, power package, thermal package, electric stabilizers, aluminum wheels, roof ladder, etc. If I had waited and bought in the winter or bought back east, I might have gotten a better deal, but I think I did ok on the deal for the west coast.

Tags
door