Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Outdoors MFG Creekside Cable/Sat Question

I get different answers from different dealers (I am 1800 miles from the closest one) and the brochure doesn't even mention it.

Is the trailer wired with two independent wires for park cable and sat. I have a Dish Tailgaiter and it can't go through a splitter since it sends power down the cable for the antenna move. The only way it will work is with a dedicated run of coax.

One dealer offered to put a sat on the roof but that is usually blocked by trees. With the Tailgater and 50 feet of wire, I put it in the front of the "lot" ant point it south and it works great.

I really like the 26BKS Bunkhouse model. Anyone have it? Any comments?

--Jeffrey Steinberg, Scarsdale,NY
2013 Silverado 3500 HD Crew Cab 8 foot bed, Duramax/Allison. Renting a travel trailer until I decide.
jsteinberg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Wind River and my satellite/antenna and cable are wired separately in to a sort of switch that changes between satellite/antenna cable. Not sure about much more than that.

TV: 2012 Ford F350 CC 6.7L 4x4
TT: 2014 Wind River 250RDSW [Dual Crown 6v, Trimetric, Iota 15.4v 55A charger]
dagmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
It depends on the equipment and wiring. If you have two connections outside and one says park cable and the other digital satellite then you need a coax cable to the antenna connected to the digital satellite connection. Inside you will more than likely have some sort of antenna booster with a switch to turn it off and on. When the booster is off, you are normally connected to the park cable. With the booster on, you are normally connected to the antenna on the roof of the RV. You should have another connection that the digital satellite is connected to. This is where you would connect the receiver. Sometimes this might be a separate plate or contained in the same plate at the antenna booster. Read the information that came with the trailer.

You are correct that you can not use a splitter to split a digital satelllite signal. Again, you are correct in that the receiver sends voltage down the cable to run the LNB. If you would like to split the signal, you will need a device called a multi-switch.

Bottom line on everything is how your trailer was wired at the factory. I have seen where some enterprising individuals have run a cable up through the side compartment door, through a laundry chute to their receiver. Guess it depends on how bad you want to watch the tube. Anyway, call the factory if nothing else.
Steve & Trudy
Swamplands of Louisiana
Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!!
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Factory confirmed park cable splits with over the air booster and a separate cable from outside goes to a plate near the other plate without any splitters. Both inputs are on back. Waste of cable for my tailgater. Should be on side where water and power is. That's where park cable is on pedestal. Mine is build to order. I am going to ask them to relocate the inputs.

Thanks for replies.
--Jeffrey Steinberg, Scarsdale,NY
2013 Silverado 3500 HD Crew Cab 8 foot bed, Duramax/Allison. Renting a travel trailer until I decide.
jsteinberg48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
On any trailer, "cable" combines with "antenna" at the antenna booster, and is then distributed throughout.
Satellite should be a dedicated wire always.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote