Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Outdoors RV 40" TV upgrade question

Somewhere in this informative thread there was a post on upgrading to a 40 inch Television by someone. I was wondering if anyone else has done that on a 250 RDSW? Did the use the existing mount or upgrade to a swivel mount. Does anyone know what the anchor points are like, i.e. aluminum stud or toggle bolts? Thanks, Tim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bascoe47 View Post
Somewhere in this informative thread there was a post on upgrading to a 40 inch Television by someone. I was wondering if anyone else has done that on a 250 RDSW? Did the use the existing mount or upgrade to a swivel mount. Does anyone know what the anchor points are like, i.e. aluminum stud or toggle bolts? Thanks, Tim
This I think should be the start of a separate thread. But the iRV2 "powers" can decide that.

I have probably posted that the first mod we did was to delete the 32" Jensen from our order, I purchased a 40" Samsung and the dealer installed it with my directions. For this initial mod, we used the sideways mounted Jensen TV mount but had to drill new locating holes in the interface bracket that came with the TV. This proved to be secure for 9000 miles of travel. But we needed an articulated mount to give us better viewing from the sofa.

This summer I purchased a MAXX-Q double locking articulated mount, fabricated a "load distribution interface panel", installed all and it works beautifully. The 3/16" thick steel interface panel connects to all of the hard spots on the trailer wall with approx. 3/16" self tapping screws. The MAXX-Q then is machined screwed into the interface panel at the correct locations so the TV is positioned exactly where we want it left and right and up and down.

I think the anchor point backing is probably 3/4 plywood. It is not very big. I determined its boundaries by noting the location of the factory mount holes, using a stud finder (not very reliable), knuckle-knocking and small pilot holes and screws. I found enough backing to convince me my re-design would work.

For traveling, after locking the bracket into position, I wedge an appropriately sized short length of swimming pool noodle between the back of the TV and the wall. This eliminates nearly all motion of the TV. Every month or so I check all mounting screws but so far they have not significantly loosened.

With careful and multiple measurements, this can be done easily. We are very happy with the result.

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bascoe47 View Post
I changed my TV mount from the original to an articulating one. The mounting points are 2x2 wood studs possibly with a plywood piece added to accommodate the mount.
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ask and you shall receive Bob.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Ask and you shall receive Bob.
Like magic! Thanks! The thread will likely end now!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote