Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OUTDOORSRV - Check your negative lead on the battery

I was crawling around under my Timber Ridge 260RLS today and happened to look at the white ground wire coming off the battery. Wire was missing over half the wires inside the crimped on connector. Replaced the connector with a ground lug and it looks like a better ground already.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yep, it's never ending inspection and improvement.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After crawling into bed last night, my brain had not stopped regarding this poor ground setup. I couldn't remember what vehicle I had in the past that had a heavy braided strap going from the engine to the firewall. This morning I found this on the Internet so will be searching this out locally here in Canada. Amazon.com: Mallory 28135 Universal Stainless Steel Ground Strap: Automotive
Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
After crawling into bed last night, my brain had not stopped regarding this poor ground setup. I couldn't remember what vehicle I had in the past that had a heavy braided strap going from the engine to the firewall. This morning I found this on the Internet so will be searching this out locally here in Canada. Amazon.com: Mallory 28135 Universal Stainless Steel Ground Strap: Automotive
Fyi, be careful using stainless, for stainless is not a very good conductor. If anything go to a boat shop and get a piece of tinned cooper to replace that ground strap. Anchor brand wire would be your best bet.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

While most times this problem causes intermittent electrical problems like the fridge not auto switching or shutting off when on 12v. The scariest one was when I tried to help a fellow camper put his awning away as a storm hit. The wind was howling and it had started to rain. As soon as I touched the manual awning brackets I got shocked. The next day I asked the guy if he figured it out what caused it and turned out to be a loose ground.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have you guys looked at the 30 amp wire coming from the shore power to the fuse panel? It is run through the bare, torch cut metal of your frame. I about crapped my pants when I saw that. I have yet to sleeve it, will be a chore without removing the entire underbelly.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Have you guys looked at the 30 amp wire coming from the shore power to the fuse panel? It is run through the bare, torch cut metal of your frame. I about crapped my pants when I saw that. I have yet to sleeve it, will be a chore without removing the entire underbelly.
dagmandt,

Can you be more specific about where this problem is? On my rig, the shore power enters the rig behind the street side back cushion of the dinette. And it ends up in the circuit breaker panel under the wardrobe in the bedroom. Thus it seems to me that on my rig the shore power wiring would not have to penetrate the frame. Can you clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I ended up replacing the 30 shore power inlet plug on the trailer with an upgraded Marinco. When I removed the old one there was a nice hole for the new one to go into. After replacing the old round one I verified that all connections in the power panel/converter were tight. I should have no troubles with any electrical, all is good.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Canada West Rv did the exact same repair to my trailer. They also replaced the cable coming into the trailer (all under warranty). New repair works 100% better but I'm considering one more modification - Amazon.com: Camco 55532 PowerGrip 18" 90 Degree 30 AMP Female/30 AMP Male Locking Adapter: Automotive Think I'll wait to see if the price will drop here in Canada.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
I ended up replacing the 30 shore power inlet plug on the trailer with an upgraded Marinco. When I removed the old one there was a nice hole for the new one to go into. After replacing the old round one I verified that all connections in the power panel/converter were tight. I should have no troubles with any electrical, all is good.
Which receptacle did you get?

Bob
Old 07-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Which receptacle did you get?

Bob
Here is a link to Marinco, 30 Amp/125V White Power Easy Lock Inlet with Stainless Steel Trim | Marinco

I ordered it in black. These are nice because it comes with a rubber gasket so no caulk needed and the lid stays shut. The old round one the lid would not stay shut and I could see it my side mirror opening and closing while on the freeway.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
Here is a link to Marinco, 30 Amp/125V White Power Easy Lock Inlet with Stainless Steel Trim | Marinco

I ordered it in black. These are nice because it comes with a rubber gasket so no caulk needed and the lid stays shut. The old round one the lid would not stay shut and I could see it my side mirror opening and closing while on the freeway.
LBZYA,

Looks great, thanks. My lid snaps down and has been quite secure. But I have trouble not cross threading the coupler on my original cord. I think the problem is the plastic threads. Do you think your new one might be better in that regard?

Bob
Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
LBZYA,

Looks great, thanks. My lid snaps down and has been quite secure. But I have trouble not cross threading the coupler on my original cord. I think the problem is the plastic threads. Do you think your new one might be better in that regard?

Bob
In my case the new power cord is great and 200% better. My old cord connector was fat, loose fitting and hard to grab to give it the twist it needs to lock.
Old cord (looks like this one): 30AMP 3 Wire recreational vechile cord/RV cord/Small Plug RV Marine, View Small Plug RV Marine, Product Details from Jiande Sansen Electrical Appliance Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

New cord:Amazon.com : Conntek 14353 RV Power Cord 42-Foot RV 30 Amp Male Plug To 30 Amp Locking Female Connctor : Generator Cord Sets And Plugs : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The new one locks a whole lot better and you can tell right away that there isn't the pulling on the connector with the weight of the plug and wire. As stated before I may purchase a right angle adapter when the price comes down.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Very nice. The list of upgrades that can be done to these TT's seems to be endless.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, door