Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OutdoorsRV interior LED light R&R

I have one interior LED ceiling light that is giving me trouble. Just how do you get them out? I have pulled, twisted, and pulled again but the thing just won't come out of that hole in the headliner. I know there are some springs that hold them in place. I just don't want to destroy something. I would also like to put all the ceiling lights, except slide, on one switch at the door.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Cut the wires and then make your repairs. Reconnect the wires with twist connectors or you could get fancy and use plug in wire connectors. The light over my sink was like that, there was only enough wire in the hole to make you mad.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are talking about the glass part itself, you have to pull VERY hard, it will release with some pressure, maybe wedge a plastic pry bar or plastic putty knife in for leverage. I'm able to get them out with my fingers but it takes a bit of work. There will be a circuit board of LEDs once you pop the glass off. You'll likely find it isn't seated correctly. They have two prongs that fit into a connector. I had one that was loose as well and it wasn't seated properly.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hey Highway, they say a picture is worth a thousand words - LED 3" Interior Can Light - Diamond 52445 - LED Lighting - Camping World
We've got one of these right above our heads in the bedroom. Too bright for a reading light so looking at adding a white piece of stained glass over top.
Sure love the good looks of your dog - he's a keeper!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I have one interior LED ceiling light that is giving me trouble. Just how do you get them out? I have pulled, twisted, and pulled again but the thing just won't come out of that hole in the headliner. I know there are some springs that hold them in place. I just don't want to destroy something. I would also like to put all the ceiling lights, except slide, on one switch at the door.
Highway 4X4,

I have pulled several of our ceiling lights. It is a bit intimidating the first time. The way I do it is to wiggle and pull the unit straight down very carefully because those 3 springs are very strong can really hurt if they nail your finger. When the 3 springs slip through the headliner, the light will be free.

The factory uses crimp fittings and that is what I used for my mods. I would like some of my lights on three way switches, e.g. on at the rear door, and off in (or near the bedroom) and visa versa.

Please let us know what you do. By the way ORV will send you a free replacement light. But be careful the new one might be brighter and smaller than the ones in your rig (but will fit fine in the original hole). ORV added two lights over our dinette and they are smaller in diameter and brighter than the others.

Good luck!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So it's just pull it out of the hole, OK. I have some that are brighter than others and might arrange them different and get more bright ones. It's about 99deg in the TT now sitting in the driveway. I'll put this on the list of TT mods to do.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
. It's about 99deg in the TT now sitting in the driveway.
Turn on the air! It works fine with 15 amps.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
So it's just pull it out of the hole, OK. I have some that are brighter than others and might arrange them different and get more bright ones. It's about 99deg in the TT now sitting in the driveway. I'll put this on the list of TT mods to do.
I understand. It is always nice to have a list (short one) of rainy day projects! But then again in your zip code, you had better do them at the first 80Deg day!

If you can accept car type key fob buttons, you can but your light switches anywhere you want. We can now turn on/off our bedroom lights, open/close the bedroom vent, and turn on/off the vent fan from either the bedroom or by the rear entry door (actually I put the fob next to the main control panel.)

Bob
Old 07-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I contacted a friend of mine today to purchase a 2.5" round piece of solid white stain glass. DW and I have a LED light right above our heads in the bedroom. We use the light getting ready for bed but it's away too bright for that. I'm hoping the stain glass will tone down the light as we love the LED part of these lights. There's very little heat off these bulbs so was just going to use Gorilla glue to hold it up there.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
I contacted a friend of mine today to purchase a 2.5" round piece of solid white stain glass. DW and I have a LED light right above our heads in the bedroom. We use the light getting ready for bed but it's away too bright for that. I'm hoping the stain glass will tone down the light as we love the LED part of these lights. There's very little heat off these bulbs so was just going to use Gorilla glue to hold it up there.
I know nothing about 12vdc LED dimming, but it seems to be doable.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/d...l,12,100,3898:

Bob
Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A dimmer is just a variable resistor. Some lights don't like to work on less voltage than they were designed for.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
A dimmer is just a variable resistor. Some lights don't like to work on less voltage than they were designed for.
The dimmers I saw on the link I provided are PCM (pulse code modulated). Something more sophisticated than just dropping the voltage seems to be required, or at least is a better option, on a lot of stuff nowadays.

Bob
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
PCM, wow. I am so old school. The electronic world is not mine. I am better off just leaving things alone and spending time with wax and just keeping thing clean.

Tags
door