Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OutdoorsRV vs Northwood, quality and value

Not looking to start a war here but just wondering the difference between the two. Much is the same, and some of their floorplans look the same. Wondering more about the differences good and bad. Fit and finish, quality of build and materials used. I know they are run as different and competing Mfg's. Does anyone wish they had bought the other and why?

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Actually I think this could be an interesting thread. The August issue of Trailer Life caught my eye with a review of an Artic Fox 5er. Unfortunately for me here in Utah we don't have a Northwood Mfg dealer but I am very close to an Outdoor RV dealer. Too bad for me as I love to go onto any RV lot and look. It would be nice to walk in and around units from both.

ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

In Nevada we have both Arctic Fox and Outdoors. We almost purchased the AF when we discovered Outdoors. The Outdoors offered the Timer Ridge 250RDS. The AF dealer did not have the comparable model 266RDS available. Comparing the AF brochure to the Timber Ridge I did not see much difference between the two other than the pantry is included in the slide in the Timber Ridge. Fit and finished seemed to be about the same as was the frame and running gear. Timber Ridge has larger holding tanks. So...we went for Timber Ridge. We have been happy with the decision.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have an ORV now and we owned two different Arctic Foxes from 2001 to 2014. They are basically the same manufacturer. Fit and finish from one to the other is probably more dependent on who is working on the line and what day, and time of day they work on you new rig. We had far fewer "new rig" problems with the Arctic Foxes.

There may be a difference in the quality control as the new units end their journey down the line.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think you have something there Bob. I think mine was made on a Friday after the BBQ lunch. I know they are constantly making changes as I probably missed the new style kitchen counter tops by a month but at least I missed the tankless water heater. I think the AF units have been in production longer so they could be more refined. The Silver Foxes might even cost more than the Blackstones but not sure. I am guessing that the WR and the Classic lines would be close. Next year I be sure to tour the Northwood plant at the rally.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetmusic View Post
In Nevada we have both Arctic Fox and Outdoors. We almost purchased the AF when we discovered Outdoors. The Outdoors offered the Timer Ridge 250RDS. The AF dealer did not have the comparable model 266RDS available. Comparing the AF brochure to the Timber Ridge I did not see much difference between the two other than the pantry is included in the slide in the Timber Ridge. Fit and finished seemed to be about the same as was the frame and running gear. Timber Ridge has larger holding tanks. So...we went for Timber Ridge. We have been happy with the decision.
Sheetmusic..did you look at any other TT manufactures prior to your purchase?

To forum members...IMHO in reading other RV forums there seems to a consistent comment that quality assurance inspections during the TT manufacturing process is significantly lacking or non existent. This is troubling given the price one pays for the TT. However, for what ever reason, we the customer do not yell loud enough of the poor quality or if we do the manufactures appear not to listen. I don't know for sure however I don't think Airstream TT have similar quality assurance issues.
So what can we as TT RV owners do about this?..I don't know...any suggestions comments any one?

Coops

Ps did you notice Airstream has no 5 the wheel or slide out models.
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #7

They are all the same. Just trailers. Even in the same models some will have issues while others will be perfect. IMO just get the floor plan you like and don't seat the little stuff.

Two guys living on the same street could buy the same model trailer and one will have more issues than the other. It's a crap shoot.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

Yes, we looked at several others brands. We had a Jayco Jay Flight for our first trailer. We looked at Rockwood Windjammer, Lance and Jayco.

Tags
door, quality