Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Question Outside kitchens

Do you have one?
Do you really use it?
Do you think it was worth the cost?
Twokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a teardrop trailer so yes we do
Not quite what you are asking but nonetheless, with a teardrop you live outside most of the time and that is what we want to do. Advantage no cooking smells inside our little gas grill can be set up and used and just being outside.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have one in the Providence. Use it a lot. Saves smoking up the interior.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #4

Don't have one and, fact of the matter is, the first thing we looked at when shopping for our new 5ver was whether it had an outside kitchen or not. If it did, we didn't even bother to look at it...made shopping a lot easier. Wouldn't use it and we don't like trading the space they take up for something we could just as well without. In order to put one in, that space has to come from somewhere and we'd rather have that space as "area" inside or storage either inside or outside.

We thought long and hard about it a couple of years ago when they first started showing back up...we decided that trying to keep two kitchens stocked was not something we wanted to spend any time doing and cleaning one kitchen is quite enough, thank you. If we still had children or demons (teenagers), we might feel differently, but, I suspect we would still rather not give up the space that we could put to better use for other things. We're comfortable with a single kitchen in our house and don't feel we are missing anything by having just one in our trailer.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
There are times where it would be nice to save steps... especialy if I had guests. I cook almost totally outside on the BaBy Q. I have even cooked brownies and biscuits on it. Outside fridge would be handy.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #6

I've read about fire concerns, and that has given me pause. The only time the burners have been lit on our mpg was when the salesman was doing the PDI. Since then I've cooked my eggs on the same small propane stove we used when tent camping. At the three Rallys we attended last year we saw quite a few people in expensive trailers doing the same thing we do.

The big advantage of doing the cooking outside is that the odors and grease are also out there. The disadvantage is, as others have said, having another space to clean and stock.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #7

Don't have one and don't want one. I agree with others that it's one more thing to clean and I especially wouldn't want to lose the space it takes up. We typically cook on the outdoor grill once a day at dinner. For us, it wouldn't get used enough.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had an outside kitchen in our 2010 Coachman Freedom Express and loved it. Since our camping involves a lot of outside activities and eating outside the fridge, sink and cabinets were very convenient. Ours did not have a stove built in, however it did have a grill on a slide-out.

When not cooking we would set our plasma TV on the counter and it became our outside entertainment center.

Interesting that no one that has one or has had one is saying anything bad about them. I guess folks that never had an outside kitchen just don't know what they are missing.

Sure wish they were available as an option when we bought our MH!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I have one and like the rest I was not impressed with it outside. But since I have it, might as well make the best of the situation. Three years later, I LOVE IT!

Most of our cooking is done on the grill or the electric griddle. The roll out cabinet with sink, refrigerator and TV/stereo offers more counter space than inside. It's so nice to be able to wash your hands or clean a utensil without having to go inside. Another plus is the beverage center is always cold, not like the NEVERCOLD unit inside.

Would I buy one again? Probably, but I don't plan on buying new, so if it come with the unit, than that's a bonus.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
An outside kitchen, DANG the DW doesn't even want an inside kitchen!!! Then I would have to do ALL the cooking. Honestly though, we use the grill about once a week the microwave,sink, & frig daily. But we don't cook much. We do eat out a lot. We know we shouldn't but for now with both of us working we can afford it & someday that may change. So for now, no we don't have or want an outside kitchen. Although I do see the advantages of having one.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #11

I absolutely WILL get one the next time I buy a TT. We spend very little time inside our TT. Under the awning outside is our living room and kitchen, so absolutely I would love to have one.

Everyone I know with one says they will never be w/out it again.

I have no kids that camp with me so I don't need the extra space for bunks, etc so yes, I have that on my wish list next time around. It is a royal pain taking condiments and food from the inside fridge to outside at meal time. The only time we are in the TT is basically just sleep time or really bad weather. I don't camp to stay inside!

And when not cooking or using the sink,etc I would let it double as a TV stand for the flat panel that we keep outside under the awning all the time anyway. That would give us a place to put it without having to take it back inside all the time.
JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
We have a teardrop trailer so yes we do
Not quite what you are asking but nonetheless, with a teardrop you live outside most of the time and that is what we want to do. Advantage no cooking smells inside our little gas grill can be set up and used and just being outside.

That is awesome~! And I love the finish color on the cabinets and the countertop.
JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #13

We looked at one 831 rkss ... used it one time and Loved it .. The swing out 2 burner gas stove , then the hanging grill , used both ... The grand kids put there juice and water bottles in the o/s refrigerator. They come by and get what they want and do not have to go inside .
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
We have one and love it, awesome fridge for cold drinks, cook bacon outside..no smell, easy cleanup, sink with hotwater is handy too. Lots of cupboards for coffee maker, kettle, etc. Would be a waste of money and space if you are an indoor camper.