Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
I think outdoor kitchens are fine, but you might think about having just an external propane quick connect spigot. It really depends on the length of the trailer that you're planning on buying as far as I know.

The Lance has a quick connect and that is good enough for me.

As far as the advice about feeding bears by hand, I've got to think they're (the poster) is joking or something!

Bad Idea Feeding Bears - YouTube

All it takes is a quick slash with the claws and you're done for! The girl in this video was lucky (and that bear was on a chain for goodness sakes!)

2002 LandRover Discovery II | 2013 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer |
2013 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
Thankfully they don't have bears here in SW MN. But, the Cougars are getting thicker. They are starting to build a colony around here. I keep my dogs tied up at night and if I'm out camping I let them sleep in the pickup.

One night I was setting around the campfire at the park with my buddies around 1AM when we heard a noise from the camp site next to us. When we shined our flashlights over there we saw a that they had left there food out on the picnic table and a raccoon was having a fest on it.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Having lived in bear country (Alaska and Colorado) for decades, I absolutely and emphatically disagree. Although perhaps well intended, feeding ANY bear (wild animal) sets a dangerous precedent. Acclimating them to human interaction/free food will result in a tragedy - either human or ursine.

Just a month ago, a black bear wandered down our driveway and through our yard, right up to the door. It had been fed previously (I have pix/video or the neighbor doing it), and will certainly be killed the next time it is caught, having been ear-tagged already.

They are powerful animals - I've personally seen the damage they can do to homes/cabins in search of food. I've seen black bears run 30 mph and grizzly bears dig 3 feet deep holes in less than 10 seconds chasing a ground squirrel.

I've had black and brown bears walk by me within far too close a distance in the wild without attacking, but I had a heavy duty weapon available if necessary.

Each year, many black bears are killed by appropriate enforcement officers in this area of southwest Colorado because they are too acclimated to the human environment. I have to agree - "a fed bear is a dead bear".

Save a life - either yours/another human's or the bear's - and do NOT feed them. I have known people personally who have been killed by bears in the past - and it ain't pretty.
Totally agree!!!!

We live in Alaska and there are numerous bears shot after becoming accustomed to the buffets folks leave out for them - whether trash cans or directly feeding.. Unfortunate! There have been two cases that I am aware of were folks thought they were one with the bears.. Works for awhile - then they become lunch!
When in bear country give them their space and keep your area clean of food items..

Awesome animal with incredible power! Nothing like watching them do their thing..
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My bear story is much less exciting

We were traveling just north from Navarro beach, fl after vacation last year and I saw a big dog amble across the road in the distance...

then I realized it was a HUGE black bear - I had to stop the truck to watch him go off into the woods - awesome, but I never got within 50 yards of him and never got out the truck !!!

Nature is SO cool - but I leave it natural
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
I cannot FATHOM what a grizzly would look like in the wild !!!

We were travelling north from Navarro beach after vacation last year and I saw a big dog amble across the road in the distance...

then I realized it was a HUGE black bear - I had to stop the truck to watch him go off into the woods - awesome, but I never got within 50 yards of him and never got out the truck !!!
They look grizzly. On first trip to Yellowstone nada. It was a year after the big fire. Think they were driven to higher ground. Went back the following year to further explore. They were some to be seen but not many. They are awesome to behold. More illusive for us was the moose. Also awesome. Third trip big bull having lunch in river on return trip from West Yellowstone.. Didn't take long for him to draw a crowd. Need to give them a wide path as well. Can't imagine anyone wanting to feed any of these animals. They can all out run you in the short run and leave you for dead.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
we love the outside and bears are a plus. Black bears are not agressive unless you approach them and if a sow has cubs. Normally when they approach you they are fine if you feed them. We have feed many by hand and it is a thrill! This is not for the faint of heart of course. We have hand feed many wild animals over the years including skunks.

I guess it's your confidence level with animals. Animals can certainly sense if you are afraid or are not, or have positive feelings towards them.

This is of course dangerous and you will certainly know this depending on your comfort level and experience.
folks - a hungry bear will kill you by accident! Pay no attention to that dangerous post. Utter nonsense. I suppose Russian Roulette with three rounds in the chamber is safe too, if you have a positive feeling.

A Mod should remove that post.
'02 7.3 Powerstroke F350 DRW, Ford AIS
6.0 Cooler, PacBrake, Flashpaq tuner
2011 Eagle 320RLDS/Equalizer WD Hitch
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #21

I had 40 acres of woods in a black bear area.
They avoided me. I avoided them.
I had a dog in camp.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In Alaska we have many bears around us. While it is often true that black and brown bears would rather avoid you than attack, it only takes one time. Not every bear gets up on the good side of the bed.

As far as hand feeding and communing with wild animals I suggest you read about Timothy Treadwell. Timothy Treadwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post

A Mod should remove that post.
Yeah go ahead remove it, I've got my entertainment out of it now anyway.

Does anyone like to hand feed Great White sharks? Great entertainment, puts you one with nature and really gets the adrenaline flowing. Don't get caught though, I think it's illegal.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the op got an answer and some good information and anything more has been off topic , so this thread is closed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread