Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #15

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
can yu post some pics of the water damage on the wall. i might be able to tell you how to fix it.
WILLIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIE C View Post
can yu post some pics of the water damage on the wall. i might be able to tell you how to fix it.

Yup. I'll get some shortly.

I think its from the AC dripping because its only on the rear, passenger side corner. And its only on the rear wall, not the side. I'll post a video.
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #17

Well it must be too good to be true. While taking pictures and trying to make a video, I poked a little harder and discovered more water damage. Basically the entire rear right corner is rotted out. The floor has been patched, but if you get in and under the dinette bench the plywood is just splinters. The joists feel ok from the outside, but I can't see them on the inside.

How hard is it to remove dinettes, couches, and linoleum floors?? I foresee some DIY projects in our future.

The good news is that its useable as is, and the appliances work. I did notice that I will have to replace the outdoor shower, which doesn't look like that big of an issue. I got into the back of the fridge too and it looks ok.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #18

That's the best way to look at it, you have a nice functional TT, so it has some rot and i'm sure you will find other things, but you can use it and work on it as you go.

I was/am in the same boat and have learned so much about TT"s, having to do the work myself, from fixing the slide, water heater, brakes, wheel bearing etc. etc. etc..and you will also, need help ? just yell !
Be sure to check all the saftey stuff first, brakes, bearings and tires.

We always start the fridge the day before we leave and always put precooled items in it ( The beer stays in the ice filled cooler though) don't want to open the fridge that many times in a row !!!!!!!!!!

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #19

Thumbs up Smart buy

Good job in getting what you need with enough left over in the budget to cover anything unexpected . Best of luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #20

Is this what a nearly 10 year old water heater is supposed to look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140804_194555.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	69971  
Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #21

Yep
Better than mine. It was in pieces when i bought it . Had to replace the ele. element,and the anode rod was totally desolved. But works fine on ele. and propane now.

Is it working ? Be careful, if the electric element is still good, unless the tank is full of water ,and you turn it on,you will burn up the element. No Biggy, the element and anode rod are under $15 each. But i'm sure you will need to replace the anode rod.

Will PM You .

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8658.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	69972  
Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #22

What do y'all think it would cost to replace the floor and portion of the back wall. Am I looking at $1000, $10000, or is it a lost cause.

This was my worst fear of buying used, and it totally cane true.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #23

Don't be so "NEGATIVE " You have a functional TT at a affordable price, use it and you get to work on it.
A lot of us don't have the jingle to buy new .Will be glad to help you, but !!!

NO MORE HELP OR COMMENTS TILL YOU GET MORE POSITIVE !!!!!

Sorry, but get the right mind set, or sell it and go out and buy a brand new unit,any extra money , send me some, so i can keep working on my 2000, which has all the flaws yours has and more, but we love our get aways in it !!!!!
JIm Good Luck
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #24

I'm really trying to stay positive. I am. I like the trailer size, I like the setup, I like the fact that most of the systems work (gonna check plumbing today).

But the amount of 'unknown' is what scares me. After finding what I found yesterday I'm nearly embarrassed to show yall any pictures of it. The floor under the rear dinette bench is completely crumbled. I have a feeling that the water is getting in at the slide seals and not the AC like I thought.

I fully realize that everything above the chassis is completely repairable, and Im not scared to dig in and get my hands dirty either. I'm actually kind of excited about the DIY aspect of it.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #25

Ok
You bought it , you own it, and like us, we found problems not stated by the previous owner. ( and for us, got screwed ). Worked on it,got all things working, and leaving for our 5th 3 day weekend thurs, love it !!!! Yes , still has rot, still has soft spots in the floor, no front steps, because the wood there has rottted away, but that's on the work list, and many other defects, but love our intr into the RV world and only 1year , 2 months and 24 days till retirement

You got it , enjoy it , and work on it. Me and many others are here to help, if you stop bitching and get to work !!!!! Ha Ha !

Jim
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #26

I'd say you did very well. Don't worry about the refrig as the refrigerator gets it's cold air from the freezer so cool down takes time. Be sure to check wheel bearings and get them re packed soon to be on the safe side. I have always bought used travel trailers and found if the previous owner kept the unit clean and tidy and seemed proud of his unit it worked out just fine. Be prepared to spend money on some small stuff over time. You got a great buy and should have money left in the budget for a few repair/updates. The awning advise should be observed. I lost my complete awning to a pop-up super thunderstorm on July 3. The storm lasted only a few minutes and I should have had the thing rolled-up but hindsight is always 20/20.
Your discoveries about water damage/rot all boil down to simple home repair and remodeling. Remove what has been damaged, go to the home center and buy some materials and get to work. Replace the floor plywood and get some wall board that matches what you have. Insulate the wall areas where you have gutted out the rot, and the floor too. View it as home remodeling. The amount of material will be small compared to remodeling just one room in a house. Be sure to locate the source of the original leak and fit it. Inspect your unit's roof every year and use plenty of the right caulk for the job....maintain your roof.....never forget..."above all else a good roof comes first.....water= mold and rot. $$$$$

Good luck !!
Most of us have been there to one degree or another with
Travel Trailers and homes.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM   #27

HEY,

Your only out $4K. Use it, learn it , enjoy it. Most of us took more than a 4 grand hit when we drove off the dealers lot. Don't go making that thing like new. You'll just be polishing a turd to a nice shiny condition. Water heater is an easy fix, but more important is getting your hitch set up to tow well. Your pics look great so I'm guessing you had help setting it up or the TT Gods like you a lot. I see way too many rigs going down the road out of level. Not a problem 'til it's a problem, then it's a big problem. When you hit the campground, be friendly an look confused, you'll have more help than you want. Pick and choose the advise you are given and do your own thing. BTW, check you fridge drain line and make sure it drips outside the TT. That's another great cause of floor rot. In a few years you'll be the guy with all the answers. Happy camping.

Ken
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try to think of this as a project of love and life. I think you did just fine....you have the budget left to fix her up. And you can do the work yourself since you are a handy kind of guy. Accept this TT deal...you bought as is, and now you handle the as is part that needs fixing. It's all doable.

Hope you can start to be excited again...let us know how it goes. All the best to you and yours.

Tags
weight