Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Over weight, and under budget...

Well we did it. We bought a used travel trailer.

You may remember our conversation about the second trailer pictured below. It was the 2000 Fleetwood Mallard that was 28' long and 5800lbs. Well we went to Dallas, hooked it up, and put it on the road. While the truck did in fact pull it, all of the advice I had previously fought made me think responsibly, and pass on it. It pushed my truck a little too hard for comfort, and was just a little too squirrely. I'm sure if I were 20 again, I would have over looked it, but being the responsible mid 30's that I am, I couldn't do it. So we left it in Dallas and came home yesterday trailer-less.

But that opened our mind to buying used, and I started looking. By chance I got on craigslist today, and did a little search. I found the second trailer pictured below with a price tag of $6K. I called, it sounded good, so we drove 30 mins to look at it. Its a 2005 KZ Jag 21jq I believe, and its 20' and the bed slides out the back side. Its only 4300lbs dry and our 4.7L V6 GMC pulls it like a dream. You can barely tell its back there.

The best part is that I ended up getting it for $4K. I know the A/C works because they had it running when we got there. The electrical works because all the lights came on. The microwave works, and the freezer gets cold. They had only plugged it in an hour before we got there, so there is some concern about the fridge because the freezer was cooling but the fridge didn't feel so cold. The radio and speakers work, and all the upholstery is nice and clean.

The only major issue that we decided to gamble with was a little water damage that had been previously repaired. It appears that the A/C leaked in the rear, passenger side corner and the floor got a little soft, along with the wall. The floor was repaired, but the wall corner is still a little soft. But its not wet so the leak has been repaired.

We also didn't try the gas lines, and it will need a battery. Over the next week I will be cleaning it out, and recaulking all the seals and seams, and making whatever small repairs I need to.

Overall, for the price and the condition we are overjoyed to get started. I think this is the perfect project/learning trailer to get our feet wet. If anything gets to expensive to repair, we can sell it for a "deer lease special".

ETA: I also need to pull the awning out and look at its condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	69844  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #2

This is the overweight Mallard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	69845  

Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #3

Congrats again !!!
I think you made another wise decision ! With the Mallard i think you would have been ok, but at your limit. Also being family not getting stuck with it and having to resell it.

Good luck with the new one, and post some more pics. of it.

Jim
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Also---
Don't do something lazy and stupid like we did ,and leave your awning out when you leave for the day and a monsoon thunder storm comes up !!!!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AWNING DAMAGE 7-12-14 004.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	69875  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #5

Congratulations you made the right decision!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

Congratulations hope you enjoy it.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Congrats again !!!
I think you made another wise decision ! With the Mallard i think you would have been ok, but at your limit. Also being family not getting stuck with it and having to resell it.

Good luck with the new one, and post some more pics. of it.

Jim

I'm going to take some pics of it tonight. It was a last minute decision yesterday afternoon to go look at it, and then we had to go back home and get the truck and go back and pick it up. I was leveling it in the driveway at 10pm last night!

We are going to install the 30amp breaker on the house today so that we can plug it up.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

Great choice , I'm sure that your driving comfort will go a long way to increasing your RVing enjoyment.
Note , RV fridge will take a long time to cool. I turn mine on 48 hrs. in advance, and try to load pre-cooled items, for best performance.
Always have a fridge thermometer inside, and remember the warmer it is out side the harder the fridge has to work, around 100f they will barely function you may have to add fans to aide venting up the rear of the unit.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Congratulations you made the right decision!

I hope so. It was WELL UNDER our budget, and its in good enough condition for us to sleep in COLD A/C while traveling. I know that its going to have its minor issues because of it's age, but as I said, it will be a good learning opportunity for us. I'm pretty handy so I'm looking forward to getting home today and starting the grease/buff/repair process on the little things. I'm going to recaulk all the seams just for good measure too.

The only thing I don't know how I'll fix is the outside graphics. There's a small vinyl graphic shop by our house, so I'll see if they can help me out.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Note , RV fridge will take a long time to cool. I turn mine on 48 hrs. in advance, and try to load pre-cooled items, for best performance.
Always have a fridge thermometer inside, and remember the warmer it is out side the harder the fridge has to work, around 100f they will barely function you may have to add fans to aide venting up the rear of the unit.
Thats good to know. He plugged it up an hour or so before we got there, and it was quite obvious that the freezer was cooling, but the fridge, not so much. I figured since the freezer was cooling, it was operational, we just needed to give it more time.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #11

Here are a few pics I took yesterday while we were inspecting it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140803_175936.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	69884   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_175951.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	69885  

Name:	20140803_180045.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	69886  
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #12

Oh! And they threw the sway bars, and weight distribution hitch with ball in as well!!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #13

It takes our fridge about 4 hrs to get below 50 deg on the middle setting
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
call the manufacter sometimes they will still have the grapic in stock. you might have to send them a picture so they can matchthe graphics along with your trailer size. i called Holiday Rambler and they still stock the grapics for my 1992 32 ft. tt. along with all the rubber window trim and mouldings.

Tags
weight