Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

Overnight Parking with a TT?

Hi all,

I'm planning my first long trip with the TT, we'll be on the road for roughly 3 weeks this summer, maybe a little longer. I've noticed 2 things about free overnight parking at Walmart, Flying J, etc.:

1) All the advice/discussion on it seems to be by and for MH owners.
2) When I'm on the road, it seems to be exclusively MH's that do this.

Is this just my imagination, or is it just not really done with TT's? If so, I can kind of see why, since they are much less likely to have generators.

I'm obviously wondering if this is an advisable option to setting up/breaking down in a CG every night.

Thanks for any input,
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a travel trailer, and i do park overnight in those places if they are fairly quiet. If I need to use a gennie (very rare), I turn it off before 9pm. I don't need a gennie to make breakfast and coffee (Aeropress).
Old 01-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I have overnighted at Wal Mart (good), and roadside rest areas (not so good). I just needed to sleep. It was cold so I turned on the heater at 65 degrees. I was gone by 7:00 AM. The only time I stayed at a rest area, someone stole one of my marker light covers and the cover on one end of my bumper. I think they tried to get my slinky, but I got up and out and they ran off. I'll stay at Wal Mart in the future just for sleep, but the rest area thing ain't gonna happen ever again.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I would think you could use the Rest Area and/or the Walmarts just like the MHs and the truckers do. It is probably a little easier to do in a MH, but definitely doable in TT as well.
The big problem in the Rest Areas is if you stop after 9 p.m. it would be hard to find a space. When the lot is full and some times you find an empty space, it is hard to do parallel parking if you have a toad. This wouldn't be a problem with TT.
Safe Travels!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
When the lot is full and some times you find an empty space, it is hard to do parallel parking if you have a toad. This wouldn't be a problem with TT.
Safe Travels!
I hadn't thought about that difference between many MHs and TTs I see. The TT has the advantage of being able to back up in ways a MH can't if they are towing a car.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #6

Muscle right on in............you have as much right to free parking lot camping as the MHs

An RV is an RV whether it be a POPUP, TC, TT, TH, FW or MH
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back when we had TT's (before 1988) we did and never gave it a thought.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 AM   #8

I use Flying J and Walmart often and see TTs and 5ers all of the time.

Haven't seen any portable generators running but I don't pay that much attention.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 AM   #9

I like Cracker Barrel ... they have a map showing all locations.... I try to plan accordingly

park in rear of lot.. place closes at 10 pm... opens at 6...
little noise.. lighted lot.

Wal-Mart if needed. Plan "B".

all RV's are welcome...
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a travel trailer, and we have overnighted at a Walmart twice. Both times we were just driving long days to get to a family activity. We parked next to a green strip so we could extend the slide over the grass instead of in traffic, and we did just fine. No generator needed. If it was so hot that we needed AC, we would have changed our plans and found a campground.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #11

I've only camped in a parking lot once and most likely never again. Too un-nerving.

My idea of traveling and camping over night. I'll find pull outs just outside towns and cities. Pull over and setup. I've got AC power on board in the form of solar and inverter.

Much better nights of rest, no traffic noise all night long as little ricers buzz past the RV, or people drunk and arguing.

Why do you need a parking lot or WalMart? I thought that's why we bought RV's so we can be away from city life!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
I thought that's why we bought RV's so we can be away from city life!
I bought an RV so I wouldn't have to sleep in bedbug-infested motel rooms.

The main disadvantage of travel trailer when Waldocking is that you can't quickly go from the bed to the driver's seat if there's an issue without having to go outside where the issue is.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveRG View Post
Hi all,
I'm planning my first long trip with the TT, we'll be on the road for roughly 3 weeks this summer, maybe a little longer. I've noticed 2 things about free overnight parking at Walmart, Flying J, etc.:
1) All the advice/discussion on it seems to be by and for MH owners.
2) When I'm on the road, it seems to be exclusively MH's that do this.
Is this just my imagination, or is it just not really done with TT's? If so, I can kind of see why, since they are much less likely to have generators.
I'm obviously wondering if this is an advisable option to setting up/breaking down in a CG every night.
Thanks for any input,
Dave
daveRG
I often see TTs and 5th wheelers overnighting in Walmart parking lots, in rest areas and/or in truck stops.

However IMO a MH is a little more convenient for overnight stops because once you park it you're already home.

BTW, I've never needed my generator when "overnighting".

Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I bought an RV so I wouldn't have to sleep in bedbug-infested motel rooms.

The main disadvantage of travel trailer when Waldocking is that you can't quickly go from the bed to the driver's seat if there's an issue without having to go outside where the issue is.
I'm not worried. Mr. 9mm sleeps with me.

Idaho is a open carry state. I'm not worried one bit.