Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #1

Overthinking?

I'm probably overthinking my situation. We bought a 19 Ram 1500 back in February. It's a 5'7 box with a 3.21 gear ratio. Not the best for towing but it works. After doing my research as to how much I can safely tow, the number that kept popping up was 8190 lbs. I started looking at travel trailers shortly after learning my towing capacity.

This past weekend we brought home a 36' Keystone Bullet 31BHPR. It checks in at 6335 dry with a max of 7600 loaded. Considering the fact that we most likely will never come close to maxing it out, I figured we'd be good right?

The dealer threw in the Equil-i-zer hitch and then installed it prior to me pulling the trailer off the lot. I also installed a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller earlier in the week. Ran it threw the pertinent tests, everything was good.

I never had towed anything prior to this. Not in my personal vehicle anyway. I drive a semi truck for a living so I wasn't the least bit concerned about the length or weight. I just wanted to make sure that I can pull it safely. Traveling down the highway was better than I expected. Except for the gas mileage. That went from OK to wtf pretty quick. On top of that, I was hearing different "groaning" noises that I thought was coming from my truck. I almost feel like I might have bought too much trailer. Most people work their way up to a trailer this size. I dove in head first! Is my truck not really capable of pulling a trailer of this size?

After getting the trailer home and now having a couple of days to let this purchase sink in, I'm really starting to second guess everything. It probably doesn't help that we have a single car driveway and this monster is taking up the majority of it! Well, the back half anyway...
docmorgan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #2

I have a friend with pretty much the same set up and trailer. They added air bags to the rear to keep it level. They pulled it 2000 miles to the east coast and back last summer. They said it was ok. Pretty much max for that truck though in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #3

docmorgan7:
I don't care what the numbers may indicate,36+feet and a half ton truck is is an accident waiting to happen!
I would be interested in the scale weight of your tt fully loaded and road ready. I hope you have $$$ saved for a new transmission and brakes.
By all means attempt to stay safe out there. Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
That RAM has a pretty short wheel base for a 36' trailer. I had a 2014 RAM 1500 crew cab/6.4 short bed and the wheel base was only 149". Rule of thumb is 110" of TV wheel base for up to 20' overall trailer length, then add 4" of TV wheel base for each additional 1' increment of trailer length. For 36' the minimum recommended wheel base would be ~174", so you are a couple feet short and prime for a tail waggin' the dog scenario.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're gonna like the 3/4 ton Ram with the diesel engine when you get it.

Which should be soon.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The groaning noises you were hearing were most likely coming from the hitch setup. They make a lot of groans at low speeds, turning corners, etc. and it is perfectly normal.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #7

What bed did you get? Rams got a 6.5 bed now. With the new 8 sp you should be able to find the right gears. Use the shift toggle to help when needing the right gear.
I would either invest in a premium hitch like a Hensley Arrow or a ProPride. $$$.
Or spend even more and get a 3/4 ton.
I had to laugh at your mpg comment. Ain't that the truth.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have an Equal-I-Zer hitch. It makes groaning and occasionally popping noises. Other than that, it's a really good hitch.

You're a professional truck driver. You know how to tow things, deal with side winds, etc. Is it too much trailer for your truck? Maybe. Go get the thing weighed at a truck scale. You know how to do that, so we can skip the tutorial.

Don't overload the trailer axles and tires, and don't overspeed the tires either. I think you've got a fair shot at being OK, but be prepared to just be OK, and not really enjoy the driving part of the trip because of the big trailer on the 1/2 ton truck.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

I'm definitely not looking forward to the MPG while towing it. The dealer where I purchased it from was an hour and a half away from the house. I was able to get up to highway speed without any issues. I didn't punch it or try to overwork the transmission. The Ram has a tow/haul button that I activated immediately. That is supposed to help with the shifting so I don't burn out the transmission. I definitely think I'll be maxed out regardless of what the towing guides state. Unloaded it seemed to pull ok. I might have to inquire about a bigger Ram. Or maybe another 1500 with the 3.92 gear ratio instead of my current 3.21.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I have an Equal-I-Zer hitch. It makes groaning and occasionally popping noises. Other than that, it's a really good hitch.

You're a professional truck driver. You know how to tow things, deal with side winds, etc. Is it too much trailer for your truck? Maybe. Go get the thing weighed at a truck scale. You know how to do that, so we can skip the tutorial.

Don't overload the trailer axles and tires, and don't overspeed the tires either. I think you've got a fair shot at being OK, but be prepared to just be OK, and not really enjoy the driving part of the trip because of the big trailer on the 1/2 ton truck.
I also picked up the equil-i-zer hitch from the dealer and had them install it.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You're gonna like the 3/4 ton Ram with the diesel engine when you get it.

Which should be soon.
X2.

Without your loaded for travel scale weights , my best guess is you're overweight on the rear axle and probably overloading the rear tires.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

Most use their RV’s as a tool to get them in the Outdoors. It’s important to find the right tool to get the job done, without over thinking it. If it was me I would ask to return for a smaller unit. Just the mpg’s alone tells you the truck is being overworked.
That ZF 8 speed tranny is not designed to run much over 200 degrees. Towing our 5,500 lb TT with a 17 Ram 1500 with the 3.92 the trans runs in the low 190’s.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
You'll usually run out of payload capacity before coming close to towing capacity on almost any truck unless specially configured with max payload package.
RAWR, tire rating, payload capacity & GCVWR are the numbers to look at before towing capacity.
IMHO that's a lot of trailer for that truck.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #14

What area are you in and what area are your plans to travel? That will have a bearing on towing as well. You probably already know driving over the rocky mounts vs several hours of flat I-10 out to El Paso is very different. It's an easy thing to just say go get a different TV as long as we're not the ones paying for it. I now have a very small TT that can probably be pulled with a VW bug but I'm still keeping my 3500 4x4 diesel dually. I can do a whole lot with that. Like fly over the rocky mountains one day with my little TT.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote