Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Own a TT and have never pulled one, Crazy ?

Just bought a Forest River Salem 32 BHSD and do not have anything to pull it with or do not even know how to pull it, So,so Many questions but we are living in it Full-Time and learning as we go . My 2 questions today, and I promise there will be more, is where can I learn to drive it? I live in Fl. 2nd question is about extended warranty insurance. What is the opinion out there? And the 3rd. question, did I said 3rd? Oh well sorry but what kind of truck do I need to buy to pull it? Around 11,000 Lbs GVW or something like that. Remember I am NEWBIE. Also not rich!! What is Max # of miles on truck that I should look for. Preciate Ya'lls help. Just an old tennis pro .

10Spro1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

I always found that parking lots at night when they are closed and lots are almost empty are the best places to learn. As for the truck, I will let someone much more knowledgable than me answer that one.

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Best luck and safe travels.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Well, welcome to the forum first.
As to your questions...
Try youtube for some driving videos. That will get you started. After you get a tow vehicle try practicing in a large empty parking lot. You will need anti-sway bars and sway brake if your TT didn't come with it.

Don't know how old your TT is, but I would probably not do extended warranty. Learn your systems and do your maintenance.

Your tow vehicle... Lots of room for discussion there. I would want to go with at least a 250 or 2500, your brand, gas or diesel.

Just my opinions... I'm sure there will be others.
Good luck and be safe.
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

I 2nd what Larrythebear said, companies will not usually provide an extended warranty past a specific age. With a travel trailer although some parts/systems are pricey, typically the cost of repairs will not be as much as an extended warranty on an annual basis. If you are handy at all, and don't have to rely on a RV place to do repairs, definitely don't buy an extended warranty. Trouble shoot, ASK FOR HELP ON THIS FORUM, and ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion if a RV service center says expensive repairs or replacements are necessary.

On the truck, I agree a Ford 250 or 350, Chevy 2500 or 3500 or equivalent. Personally, with the length of your trailer I would recommend a Hensley Arrow weight distributing and sway elimination hitch. WELL worth the month. About $2,500.00 from Hensley for a rebuilt (just as good as new) hitch with a lifetime warranty, or about $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 used if you can find one, but then you may have to exchange the draw bar for one that fits your truck height. Do a search on Hensley Arrow on this site or others. Generally the people who poo pooh the Hensley Arrow never owned one, or are just responding based on the price. Hook ups are easy, no ratcheting down of chains, etc. One blowout on the freeway, and a couple of panic stops with our previous Travel Trailer and absolutely NO SWAY made a believer out of us.

Also on trucks. I personally don't see the need for a dually unless you have a really HIGH tongue weight. And if your tongue weight is that high, you need to look hard at how you are loading your trailer!

Gas or diesel, personal preference. Gas is cheaper to buy, you generally use more, gas truck is less expensive to purchase, but unless you do a LOT of long haul driving, you probably won't see the benefits out of a diesel. Number of miles are less important in my opinion than condition and how the vehicle was maintained. Ask for maintenance records!
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you always going to be full timing in one location versus hitting the road every other day? If you are just going to be moving from one full time extended stay site to another, why not hire someone to move your TT?

For instance, say you pay $3,000 for three moves a year. That may be less than a truck payment, insurance, and gas in a year. It seems that you are getting around now without a tow vehicle - shopping, doctor visits etc. - so if you just need a vehicle for travel trailer transport, hire it out.

2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote