Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Parallel Battery Question

Hello all....I am going to add a second 12v battery to my TT. I understand how to connect the two together in parallel. However, I have seen a couple different options regarding the wires coming from the trailer. Some have both positive and negative on the same battery, others have the positive off of battery 1 and negative off of battery 2. Which one should I be doing? Thanks!

smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #2

Parallel is pos to pos, and neg to neg.

Series is neg to pos.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

Some good info here.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smonagle View Post
Hello all....I am going to add a second 12v battery to my TT. I understand how to connect the two together in parallel. However, I have seen a couple different options regarding the wires coming from the trailer. Some have both positive and negative on the same battery, others have the positive off of battery 1 and negative off of battery 2. Which one should I be doing? Thanks!
Either way will work as long as you have solid heavy connections between the batteries.. Although in theory, it may better distribute the load doing the latter. Of all the stuff I have with dual or more batteries, I have some done both ways. Right or wrong, I've not seen any real difference either way.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

It makes no difference. Usually, I will wire it whichever way is easier. Power wise, they are in parallel either way and you will get the same exact output.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #6

Either way will work, but one works better. If they both go to the same battery, there will be greater current draw from that battery and it will also charge faster. It you connect the positive to one battery and the negative to the other, current flow will be much more even.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, the old "Balancing" issue.

IF you have a big inverter, something that can suck 100 or 100s of amps off the batteries then balancing may be an issue.

If you are just running lights, a radio, water pump and control systems. Use good quality Starter Cable to parallel the batteries, Try to get one red and one black for obvious reasons (red is positive) and do not worry about it.

With good heavy paralleling cables (Those wires can pass 100 amps no sweat) on a non-inverter RV (or small inverter RV) balancing is not that big a deal....

Even with a whomping big inverter sucking 200 amps or more.. I'm not sure it's that big a deal.. MOST of what I hear about balancing and/or mis-matched batteries.. Is a myth.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #8

One important thing to remember, when tying two batteries together you are only going to have the current available of the weakest battery. If bat 1 has more ampere hours than the other you will only pull the lower ah. Its like a funnel. Make sure the batteries match exactly. Simplest example I can post. Good luck
Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ah, the old "Balancing" issue...........
Even with a whomping big inverter sucking 200 amps or more.. I'm not sure it's that big a deal.. MOST of what I hear about balancing and/or mis-matched batteries.. Is a myth.
Amen... well, except the mis-matched batteries thing. Having a couple dead cells in one battery group can cause issues with the others.

Typically, the only reason to grab a + or - from another battery is to spread out the number of stacked connectors on each terminal. I've seen many DIY projects on coaches where they've added additional terminal posts to one post and stacked 8 terminals on 1 battery post...

Scary stuff..
Old 05-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It is better to take the positive from one battery to the coach, and the negative from the 2nd battery. Although both will work as others have said, you might as well do it the right way the first time, so you don't have issues later. As others have said, make sure your batteries are matched and are of the same size and amp ratings.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Amen... well, except the mis-matched batteries thing. Having a couple dead cells in one battery group can cause issues with the others.

Typically, the only reason to grab a + or - from another battery is to spread out the number of stacked connectors on each terminal. I've seen many DIY projects on coaches where they've added additional terminal posts to one post and stacked 8 terminals on 1 battery post...

Scary stuff..
I have had dead cell in one battery and good cells in the other.. This has happened both in the OEM Six volt which of course were matched (Though I consider the pair of six volt to be one single 12 volt) and in 12 volts I had in a different loop.

Fact is matched or not.. A dead cell in one will cause issues in the battery bank... It does not matter if batteries in parallel are matched.

batteries in series.. Those need to be matched, which is why this Motor home sports a brand new pair of DEKA 230 amp hour Golf car batteries.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #12

Millions of big OTR trucks use three or four 12v batteries in parallel. After the first battery failure there will be an odd ball battery in the group, and then a second and a third. Bottom line is the batteries will work fine together regardless if they are different sizes and/or capacities as long as they are all good i.e. no bad cells, etc. My TT has room for one group 27 and one group 24 which is what I have. I haven't had any issues as long as the batteries are good. Bad battery = change it for a new one. Just keep the water level up in the batteries especially on the group 24 as it will have a tendency to boil the water out as the charger keeps charging to bring up the larger capacity group 27 battery to full charge. A group 27 + a group 24 in parallel will give you noticeably more capacity than two group 24s. I know, I've tried it both ways...

wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery