Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Park Models question

I was a full timer for 8 years using a Monaco motorhome. We sold the rig and live in a condo in Maine. Love being close to the beach.

Considering buying a trailer to leave at a park in Florida for use in the winter. I see lots of 5th wheels. But what about a park model? Some seem pretty nice. More permanent feeling.

I am wondering if any of you use one like this? Are they harder to sell than a regular trailer or 5th wheel?

Thanks.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steve. When I was in the construction business we had a park model liked it because it had a full size apt stove in it and a full size frig towed it all over and no problems.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #3

Mike, I would leave it in one place. Won't even have a vehicle that could pull it. Would be like a condo or cabin to go to. Would stay in it for 3 or 4 months out if the year.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #4

park model

Have seen some park models in older courts & campgrounds. Talking to a few people they rent them out too seasonal campers or short stay travelers. So maybe check that possibility out. IMO if you are happy with one area it would be the thing to do if in your budget.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're looking into one now. Just purchased a lot in our park here in Zephyrhills, FL. Just trying to determine the floor plan that will work best.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #6

Steve n sal, what brand and model are you looking at?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #7

I decided to go with a PARK TRAILER instead of a PARK MODEL. It *can* be used as a travel trailer as it has an awning, 12V system with battery, holding tanks and a fresh water tank. I found that these are add-ons with PARK MODELS. Some manufacturers refer to PARK TRAILERS as DESTINATION TRAILERS or with Gulf Stream, it is the Lodge series here - Innsbruck Floorplans | Gulf Stream RV Wildwood refers to them as their Lodge series as well - Wildwood Lodge Destination Trailer Floorplans by Forest River and we just had a friend who bought one of these. We have another friend who bought a Jayco park trailer and another friend who bought a Cherokee park trailer in the last two years.

Our 2007 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 36FRS has a residential fridge but all other appliances are standard RV ones.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #8

Interesting. This is the type I am interested in. Did not know they are called park trailers.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #9

rjf7g has made the distinction which I believe is important to understand. I had a difficult time trying to explain the difference to some folks as we have had both in past years ...even dealerships make the mistake of calling a "Park Trailer/Destination Trailer/Resort Trailer" a "Park Model." Some dealers and manufacturers even will use the terms interchangeably.

This is how I understand it and how it was explained to me by a credible person:

Basically, a Park Model is a "little house" or can be considered in the manufactured/mobile home family as they have many of the same characteristics. Most are insured as "manufactured homes" ...I know ours was. They are intended to be semi-permanent (or permanent) and most will have their wheels and hitch assemblies removed.

A Park Trailer/Destination Trailer/Resort Trailer, is most often self-contained (has holding tanks) and is more designed to be easily moved on a seasonal basis if needed. The hitch and wheels are normally left in place.

Here are some distinguishing characteristics of each that he once gave us--

Park MODELS
:

*are designed and meant to be relatively permanent on the lot
*many have a loft
*most will have exterior siding similar to a stick house (plank siding, flat or simulated log, etc.)
*do not have holding tanks (no black water, gray water, or fresh water tanks)
*do not have mechanical slide-outs
*have many residential features that typical RVs don’t because weight is usually not as important
*will typically have residential windows and exterior door
*will almost always have wheels and hitch removed and skirting installed
*will have their sewer outlet hard plumbed because of no holding tank
*will typically use a normal residential-style toilet
*can have porcelain or steel sinks since weight is not extremely important
*may use residential-style windows, screens, and/or doors depending on configuration
*will mostly have a gable-style roof
*can use metal or composition roofing where most RVs will use EPDM rubber or fiberglass
*may have HVAC systems similar to mobile or manufactured homes located separately outside
*will typically be taxed as real property (check each jurisdiction)
*many will have attached decks, patio covers, or carports that are meant to be permanent or semi-permanent

*are mostly over 8.5' in width and usually need a trip permit to transport as over-sized on highways

Park TRAILERS/Destination Trailers/Resort Trailers
:

*are large travel trailers typically around 40 feet in length (bumper-pull)
*are not always considered as permanent and typically are not
*will have holding tanks (black, grey, and fresh water)
*will have (multiple) slide-outs
*could use materials that tend to be lightweight because trailer may want to be seasonally moved
*will have wheel left in place …hitch sometimes is removed, sometimes not
*can have skirting but usually will not
*sewer outlet will be identical to those found on a typical RV with holding tank and valves
*will use a marine-style (RV) toilet because of holding tank and less weight
*will usually have sinks that are acrylic, composite, or lightweight steel
*have windows and doors that are RV-style
*roofing will typically be rubber (EPDM or similar) just like those found on other RVs
*will usually have roof mounted A/C and RV furnace just like those found on most RVs
*are not taxed as real property as their wheels are not removed (and assuming if not made to appear permanent)
*usually titled as a vehicle --or travel trailer-- (but without yearly registration if left on the property)
*will typically not have an attached deck, patio cover, carport, etc.
*carports, decks, stairs, patio covers, etc., are usually independent of the structure
*many, if not most, have a sliding residential-type patio door where most travel trailers will not

*will be 8.5' in width or under (with slide-outs retracted) and can be bumper-pulled as would a typical travel trailer

Be careful as most RV parks will not allow and/or can't accommodate Park Models. We also found some parks that will not allow Park Trailers. So be sure that your intended location allows whichever type of RV you are considering.

First attached image is an example of a Park Model and the second, a Park Trailer/Destination Trailer/Resort Trailer.

Attached Images

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #10

Theroc, great explanation. Makes it very clear.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #11

Models

Above is correct, has far has I know. Friend bought a destination trailer and is now living in it at Oak Hills, Fla. His is the Wildwood Lodge. Pictures look good and he is happy with it.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote