Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Parking camper for winter

Hi Everyone, this is my first winter parking a camper. Looking for suggestions pros and cons. Do you cover your trailer? Do you put the tires up on boards or blocks? Or do you just lowers the stabilizer jacks? We are in north Jersey. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #2

I wash and treat the roof, winterize I put 3 damp raid buckets on the floor and a Couple hanging ones in the closets and 2 boxes of dryer sheet though out the inside. I park my wheels on 2x6s with wheel covers and I use an rv cover also. I leave my jacks down. make sure under the TT has no tears or open areas for mice to get in if so use some steel wool they can't eat though that good luck depressing time of year for some

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab

rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:32 AM   #3

What are "damp raid buckets"..?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #4

Damp rid buckets... they absorb moisture as the temperature swings. Available anywhere, I get them at walmart usually
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #5

May be a little bizare but ....moved to Florida...get to use the rv year round..no more New England weather...lol
Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Hi. There are a lot of great people who have a lot of great information here. I want to let you know what happened to me. I stored my fun finder with levelers down. I had a slow leak in a tire. Levelers will not hold weight one bent and had to be replaced. Leave them up.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I suggest tires on concrete patio blocks with something for sun block. I use plywood leaning against the wheels. Jacks up, as they can get dirt accumulation on the extended pistons and can start to pit from exposure.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #8

dustyone--
Good point, but I think your problem was cheap jacks. I recently was in a forest service CG--unit next to mine was on unlevel ground and he had his 24' trailer with both tires on one side off the ground using only the stabilizer jacks. So there are some that will take the strain.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

I blow the water lines out with my compressor. Pour some RV anti freeze down each drain and in the toilet (but don't flush). I don't run the anti freeze thru the water lines. It doesn't freeze long enough to worry about lines breaking. Also new trailers use PEX tubing which has a huge expansion rate. No one I know around me (West side of Oregon) runs anti freeze thru their lines either. Drain the hot water heater, and low point drains.
I store mine on gravel with nothing under the tires.
I cover mine also. Make sure you put something on the sharp corners and if you have gutter extensions a tennis ball works well.
I put all jacks down. (5th wheel)
Been doing it this way for 6 year and have had zero issues in the spring.

If I lived where it got really cold for days on end I'd run anti freeze thru the lines. But winter temps are fairly moderate where I live.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #10

[QUOTE=wingnut60;2787223]dustyone--
Good point, but I think your problem was cheap jacks. I recently was in a forest service CG--unit next to mine was on unlevel ground and he had his 24' trailer with both tires on one side off the ground using only the stabilizer jacks. So there are some that will take the strain.
Mine are the Levellers. Not jacks. Not meant or designed to lift campers just hold them stable. When in doubt leave up.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #11

I have one slightly bent jack which I will replace next season.

as for winterizing,

I fill the fresh tank with a little bleach and rest water and let sit for an hour then drain, refill and drain.

I leave the low point cap off and let the fresh drain.

I open and close the valves to bypass the water heater and pull the antifreeze in from the bottles.

I empty the water heater and make sure the antifreeze is pooled up in the toilet and a good amount goes down the drains, all drains...

thats all there is too it.

reverse order in spring.....

Tags
winter