Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IF pets ride in a TT they should be in a crate that is held in place, for their own protection. How are you going to like it if they get sick and make deposits from both ends all over the place? In an accident they will be like BB's in a boxcar. Not only will you loose the TT but also the pet. I don't take MIL's on vacation and suggest you do the same. Lots of things happen way out in the woods.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #16

Our pups Sofia and Lulu always ride in our truck. It would not be safe for them to ride in our TT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1421042227.970072.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	83166
CaptnLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I rode about 30 miles in a travel trailer many years ago.

Bounced around a LOT.

But it can be done.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #18

Thanks for the responses.
Jbird1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #19

There are several rigs I've seen (like toy haulers) and the new Winnebago Brave that have tie-down points where you can secure a crate.

I think this could be ok. Having animals in the car with you really isn't any safer for them if they are not restrained. If you hit something, they turn into a projectile, which is dangerous to them AND you.
My dogs ride in the car with me wearing harnesses that buckle into the female end of the seat belt.
Or in the back of the suv with a cargo divider net.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20131004-00298.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	83180  
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #20

I am especially thinking that the MIL in the trailer would be a good thing...regardless of the laws or penalties.
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
AKA the Chevy Chase movie,,, rolled up in carpet and tied to the roof rack.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
AKA the Chevy Chase movie,,, rolled up in carpet and tied to the roof rack.

Yep or any other movie that moves her from point a, to point b prefferably as far away from most men as possible. Even her husband would be happy.

tried to upload Pharell Williams "Happy" as a soundtrack, but some liberal leaning program stopped me...
Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #23

Horse and dog trailers are designed to restrict the animals movement and good ones have shocks. Trailers don't have this. If your cat or dog decides to get off the bed and move around and you have to jam on the brakes to avoid some AH who is trying to get ahead of you on an on-ramp, Your pet is going to go flying and slam into something. You could wind up with a very injured pet, cat, dog, lizard what ever. It also gets very warm (or cold) in the trailer. Why put your pet through this, if you must take your pet, get a cage, put it in the tow vehicle.
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #24

Couple of things to think about,

1. TT's don't usually have the heat or AC on while being pulled. Can't imagine keeping a window open during the pull for obvious reasons.

2. No shocks on most so the noise and the jolts and bouncing would be pretty frightening for an animal.

3. What if something dislodged and struck the family pet and you didn't know about it for a number of miles.

I just don't see the logic of putting my pets in that kind of danger.

In my humble opinion.....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #25

The only SAFE way for a dog to travel in a vehicle is in a wire dog crate. Somewhat less safe, but better than nothing, are dog harnesses (the kind that get attached to a snapped seatbelt. A dog riding "free" in a vehicle is a projectile object in the case of an accident!!! Plus, when the vehicle's doors fly open....the poor frightened pup takes off into the woods....never to be found again! Please keep your furbabies as safe as possible by having them ride "in" the vehicle with you...and in their crate. And microchip them + with a collar id tag with your cell number!
kris-at-home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris-at-home View Post
The only SAFE way for a dog to travel in a vehicle is in a wire dog crate. Somewhat less safe, but better than nothing, are dog harnesses (the kind that get attached to a snapped seatbelt. A dog riding "free" in a vehicle is a projectile object in the case of an accident!!! Plus, when the vehicle's doors fly open....the poor frightened pup takes off into the woods....never to be found again! Please keep your furbabies as safe as possible by having them ride "in" the vehicle with you...and in their crate. And microchip them + with a collar id tag with your cell number!

Kris at home, does this include the Mother in Law? I would really rather leave her strapped to the front bumper if at all possible. She fits quite well above the KC hilites with a couple of bungee cords, + If I do bump someone she acts as a pre-bumper for the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front bumper1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	83717  
Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can this be done? Yes,
Does anyone do it? Yes

That would include about every misery that pets have ever been exposed to ever.

Since pets are basically dependent on us making choices for them regarding their well being then the answer seems to be where in your traveling configuration will your pets be safest and most well off for the journey.

Incidentally the questions you raise would be answered yes, yes if you were discussing texting while driving. Ask yourself a different question is my take on this.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
None of the dogs that have owned us would like this much, nor would I like cleaning up the leavings of their churning stomachs. Somehow we've always had dogs that got motion sickness pretty easily......

As to the mother-in-law... I've always loved mine... lucky I guess...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote