Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 04:50 AM   #1

Picking up first ever TT, and Boondocking questions

I know I sound a little ambitious, but we're picking up our Keystone Sprinter this weekend (God willing) and next weekend for Memorial day, we're taking it upstate for an Irish Festival. We're totally excited, this is our first TT (we had a pup) and the first time the festival will be right there as opposed to a half hour drive. I'm nervous, excited and have a question-I'll probably think of more questions, but this one stands out in my mind...

In the case of no hookups, what do I do with the black water? I'm hoping I don't have to bring it home with me, and even then-what do I do with it?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman 6 View Post
I know I sound a little ambitious, but we're picking up our Keystone Sprinter this weekend (God willing) and next weekend for Memorial day, we're taking it upstate for an Irish Festival. We're totally excited, this is our first TT (we had a pup) and the first time the festival will be right there as opposed to a half hour drive. I'm nervous, excited and have a question-I'll probably think of more questions, but this one stands out in my mind...

In the case of no hookups, what do I do with the black water? I'm hoping I don't have to bring it home with me, and even then-what do I do with it?

Thanks!

Normally there is a dump station for your black and gray water where you will be...... just remember to conserve on the water use if you are dry camping............ if you fill up your tanks you will be having to use a honey wagon or pulling out to go to the dump station..... there will be others there where you are going that will be able to help you. Remember also dump your black water first then your gray water.

Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Congrats on the new camper!!

If there is no dump station or honey wagon (truck that comes to you that can pump out your tanks), then you'll have to drive to a place that has a dump station.

A quick Google search on "RV dump stations" should give you a list of places like truck stops, "Flying J", etc., that have dumping capabilities. Also, if there's a campground nearby, you could perhaps call ahead and see if they'd let you use theirs. Sometimes some of them will for a small fee.

(Make sure you have rubber gloves and hand sanitizer packed in the new camper!)

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #4

Thank you so much! We're picking the trailer up today. I'm sure I'll have loads more questions... Pop ups are so different and so much simpler.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #5

OK!! We picked up the TT, and slept in it last night. Bringing it home was relatively painless, and the kids think we so rock.

I found a few dump stations in the East Durham area, so we'll be using one of those, we de-winterized it last night, made sure we know what we're doing as far as appliances, and today (after church, lacrosse, baseball and soccer) I'm moving our small amount of stuff from our popup into the TT.

I will take pictures as soon as it's light and post them. It's SO perfect. I love it!!
Coleman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on your first night being a success. May you have many more.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the new camper. I always love to sit and watch a newbie setting up for the first time.

Ken
Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Congrats on the new camper. I always love to sit and watch a newbie setting up for the first time.

Ken
Hahaha! We were probably very entertaining. The previous owner really did a good job going over everything though, so it was just the foolish grins on both our faces, punctuated by me squealing "I love this thing so much" at odd times during the set up. Oh, and the giggles and applause when the slide out, well, slid out...

I've been packing up the basic stuff in it, and I registered it this morning. DMV was SO NOT painful, I thought I was in the wrong place.

I can't sit still in the house. I'l be doing something, and I'll find myself wandering out to the yard and going inside and just looking around. I was going to just hang out in there and read a book, but I kept thinking that I couldn't hear the house phone from out there, so when my daughter comes home, she can answer the phone and I'll be chillin in the 'stone.
Coleman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman 6

Hahaha! We were probably very entertaining. The previous owner really did a good job going over everything though, so it was just the foolish grins on both our faces, punctuated by me squealing "I love this thing so much" at odd times during the set up. Oh, and the giggles and applause when the slide out, well, slid out...

I've been packing up the basic stuff in it, and I registered it this morning. DMV was SO NOT painful, I thought I was in the wrong place.

I can't sit still in the house. I'l be doing something, and I'll find myself wandering out to the yard and going inside and just looking around. I was going to just hang out in there and read a book, but I kept thinking that I couldn't hear the house phone from out there, so when my daughter comes home, she can answer the phone and I'll be chillin in the 'stone.
I know this feeling all too well. We just bought a new Coleman and we spent more time in the camper in the driverway the week before our first trip than we did in the house! LOL.