Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post
PHP Code:
InitiallyI shied away from them out of concern for leaking issues
I have never had any problems with leaks, just make sure none of the tent fabric is between the seals when you close them up. The tent ends let in more noise than a conventional TT, which can be a problem if you frequent commercial campgrounds where the sites are close together. Also, the tent ends heat up quicker in the sun, which was a problem with desert camping. I went with pup-up gizmos several years age which solved that problem.
I'm glad to hear that being particular during "close-up" is adequate to prevent leaking. I have given thought to the noise aspect, but am not sure where I am on that - I guess it depends on where we'll be staying. Pop-up canopies are a great idea for sun/heat!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #44

Something you might want to keep in mind considering hybrids with soft sides/extensions: some campgrounds don't allow them because of bear danger. For example, Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone, which happens to be the only campground there with full hookups, doesn't allow them because of Grizzlies. Just a thought.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
You asked about size difference excluding you from camping sites. Let me preface this by saying that years back we went from a 26' Class C to full size van pulling a 26' TT. That lasted less than a year. Next was a 32' Class A. Having the room to negotiate backing that TT into a site was very problematic. We found that a very small percentage of the sites in the state & national parks in Cal would accomodate us. That is when we started using private parks. I would suggest, if at all possible, that you do a road trip to the parks where you would like to take your TT. Look at the size rigs in the facilities you would like to enjoy. And how you want to use it. Finally, let me really throw a wrench into the works. My two kids absolutely loved RV'ing. Each trip usually started with a 700 mile drive to their grandparent's place. I often did the drive in one day, with them seat belted into their bunk beds, rotating who got to sit up front in the passenger's seat. Occasionally, as quickly & carefully as possible grabbing a snack from the frig or hitting the restroom. With those cherished memories in mind, my daughter & her husband purchased a toy hauler TT. Their first trip was up to the very destination she had enjoyed as a kid. They took 2 days. The kids hated it. They had to remain seated at all times in their Ram truck's back seats. She now realizes, though she spent 99% of her time belted in, traveling in Class C bunk bed was what made the long drives tolerable at her age. Remember, your TT may qualify as a second home write-off. Your tow vehicle will not. The entire motorhome will.
I would absolutely love a class C MH, but it seems to be way out of our price range (even a used one). It may be worth looking into it a bit more, though. We have done several roadtrips (2800mi roundtrip, 2x/yr) with our kids in my previous Expedition and that is the primary reason I stuck with the Expedition since it really helps to have that 3rd row. It is so frustrating that the "HD tow package" that the new one has and was touted to haul 9200lb simply can't when you figure everything else involved. I just can't see us getting a truck/2row as a tow vehicle (someone would be left at an airport 2hrs from the house to fly up separately - my wife would likely be the one to request that "honor").
Old 06-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #46

First - kudos to you for asking questions before buying.

Second - as you've realized, your SUV won't tow as much as advertised, which is surprising to most folks. There's a reason why trucks are by far the preferred tow vehicle for a decent sized TT. Drop by a local state park or RV park and you'll see a correlation between the size of the RV and tow vehicle.

I think you need to stick in the 5-6K pound range LOADED weight, and well under 30 feet in length. The longer, farther, and harder (mountains) you plan to tow, the more conservative you need to be.

But here's the thing - don't get too obsessed with having a huge amount of interior space. You'll have A/C, heat, a bathroom, and kitchen no matter what size RV you buy, which is all you need and is way more convenient than tent camping. Your kids are going to have a great time no matter what. It is nice to have a lot of room when stuck inside on a rainy day, but that should be an infrequent event.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtk View Post
First - kudos to you for asking questions before buying.

Second - as you've realized, your SUV won't tow as much as advertised, which is surprising to most folks. There's a reason why trucks are by far the preferred tow vehicle for a decent sized TT. Drop by a local state park or RV park and you'll see a correlation between the size of the RV and tow vehicle.

I think you need to stick in the 5-6K pound range LOADED weight, and well under 30 feet in length. The longer, farther, and harder (mountains) you plan to tow, the more conservative you need to be.

But here's the thing - don't get too obsessed with having a huge amount of interior space. You'll have A/C, heat, a bathroom, and kitchen no matter what size RV you buy, which is all you need and is way more convenient than tent camping. Your kids are going to have a great time no matter what. It is nice to have a lot of room when stuck inside on a rainy day, but that should be an infrequent event.
I wish I would have asked more questions before purchasing the vehicle...

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the interior space.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #48

Thank you to all who have helped inform me about this and answer my many questions from the first post (which are mostly moot after further info) and since.

I am scaling back on trailer weight, and looking now for a much smaller one. I think you all are right, that it really shouldn't exceed 5-6K lb loaded. Hopefully I can find one with bunks that will fall in that range. Back to the research!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Molmen;3128531]Thank you to all who have helped inform me about this and answer my many questions from the first post (which are mostly moot after further info) and since.

I am scaling back on trailer weight, and looking now for a much smaller one. I think you all are right, that it really shouldn't exceed 5-6K lb loaded. Hopefully I can find one with bunks that will fall in that range. Back to the research![/QUOTE

==========
Good to hear you are scaling back. Here's another little hint.

I have always asked the RV salesman or woman what kind of RV they own and where have they gone with it.

I've met one salesman who owned a trailer and had been camping for years. Two others said they used RV's from the current RV company where they were currently working. And that's out of at least 60 or 70 sales people over the past many years.

So take any advice you get from a non experienced salesperson carefully.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Give the Black Rock or the Creek Side from OutDoors RV a look also. They make a really good quality RV. We have the Creek Side 23 RKS and love it.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #51

So, for better or worse, we have purchased a 5500# dry weight travel trailer (weighed). I appreciate all the advice and illumination. Most of the travel is flat land, but I'm also looking into a different TV. I pulled it from the dealer, and it felt a bit dicey at 70, but I've never pulled anything like it before, so still getting comfortable. We are super excited about it, and realize I'm closing in on carrying capacity, but have room to spare at this point. Dry weight+ vehicle is just over 11700# (weighed). Now, just to completely load up the TV and check weights again. TV didn't have issue pulling, but certainly felt it back there. First time to use the brake controller, think I have it figured right. Maiden camping trip will be a 100yd version to give practice hooking up and setting up.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Something you might want to keep in mind considering hybrids with soft sides/extensions: some campgrounds don't allow them because of bear danger. For example, Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone, which happens to be the only campground there with full hookups, doesn't allow them because of Grizzlies. Just a thought.
Yep, he bears like the soft centers once they open the sides up!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #53

Planning on purchase...Need experienced advice

FYI, ST trailer tires are usually limited to 65mph. Also check the loaded tongue weight against the payload. That trailer is heavier than my previous trailer and I maxed out my tongue weight which is similar to your TV.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, he bears like the soft centers once they open the sides up!
LOL
Old 06-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
FYI, ST trailer tires are usually limited to 65mph. Also check the loaded tongue weight against the payload. That trailer is heavier than my previous trailer and I maxed out my tongue weight which is similar to your TV.
I will check the tires...I felt pretty comfortable at 60-65, despite it being my first time to pull something like a TT... I will stick to that range, since 70 is not as comfortable.

I'm loading up the trailer next week with a first round of "stuff", but am keeping weight in mind during that process. Payload is something I'll be watching. It looks good for just me and my son for hunting trips, but for the whole crew (including our 100# dog), I'll need to be mindful of the gear amount.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #56

Great thread Molmen!

I read it in one sitting and got to watch your progression throughout the whole process. And it looks like it was worth it! (Sure are some fine folks on here that are sincerely helpful)

Congratulations and good luck. I bet the memories will far outweigh the necessary compromises you made along the decision-way.

Tags
advice, purchase