Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Great thread Molmen!

I read it in one sitting and got to watch your progression throughout the whole process. And it looks like it was worth it! (Sure are some fine folks on here that are sincerely helpful)

Congratulations and good luck. I bet the memories will far outweigh the necessary compromises you made along the decision-way.
Thanks snakebitten. I believe everyone here has a sincere interest in the well-being of me, my family and others. Hopefully, I haven't let them down with my selection of TT, as lighter seems better in all cases. That said, I felt good about how it pulled unloaded (at reasonable speeds), and look forward to gearing up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #58

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The car/RV salespersons aren't the ones that will help you make an informed decision, sorry to say, they're just hoping to make the next sale. We all would like it to be different. If the manufacturers had a conscience they would be training them to ask, what are you using the vehicle for?, have you bought a trailer already?, let's look at some numbers, let's see what the payload is and go from there. Of course that's in a perfect world!

Oldelevatorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #59

This point may be way "past due" for you and you've already left on your first adventure. Remember....water weighs in at 8 lbs a gallon. No doubt your new trailer will have a good sized fresh water tank...but then there are two others...grey and black. If your going to be dependent on your "own water"...it adds weight really fast. Most folks don't fill the fresh water tank to capacity when they start out...but if your gonna be " boon docking" you don't have much of a choice unless you "know for certain" you can add water when you reach your destination.
You've gone about your trailer choice with a lot of "forethought"...I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it. The "learning curve" will soon level out and you will be come a "veteran" very quickly.
Enjoy!

Pat
Old 06-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrick16 View Post
This point may be way "past due" for you and you've already left on your first adventure. Remember....water weighs in at 8 lbs a gallon. No doubt your new trailer will have a good sized fresh water tank...but then there are two others...grey and black. If your going to be dependent on your "own water"...it adds weight really fast. Most folks don't fill the fresh water tank to capacity when they start out...but if your gonna be " boon docking" you don't have much of a choice unless you "know for certain" you can add water when you reach your destination.
You've gone about your trailer choice with a lot of "forethought"...I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it. The "learning curve" will soon level out and you will be come a "veteran" very quickly.
Enjoy!

Pat
Thanks Pat... Not on an adventure yet. Will be sleeping first night in it for the 4th...100yds from where it is parked. I don't intend to be boondocking often, if at all. I do expect to have to carry some fresh, grey and black sometimes, but based on my wife's aversion to all things stinky, I expect I'll be emptying as often as possible to keep odors to a minimum. I'm trying to ramp up slowly and conservatively with the new TT, and hope to be close to "veteran" by end of hunting season
Old 06-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
The car/RV salespersons aren't the ones that will help you make an informed decision, sorry to say, they're just hoping to make the next sale. We all would like it to be different. If the manufacturers had a conscience they would be training them to ask, what are you using the vehicle for?, have you bought a trailer already?, let's look at some numbers, let's see what the payload is and go from there. Of course that's in a perfect world!
Wish it were so, but the real positive is that all on here have been really helpful! Good people here!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #62

So, we have pulled it 1500 miles for our first outing. The tow capability seems good for the TV when running at 60-65mph, though I know it is back there. Traveled through some tough weather with crosswinds of 50-60 mph and didn't like that. I also feel it when the big trucks pass us by.

Since I have no measure of experience pulling a TT until now, would you give me some of your experiential knowledge about how your TT/TV combo feels when a truck passes? I don't get into any type of harmonic oscillation as far as sway, but don't really know what others think as acceptable sway (is this the correct term for this situation?). I have had to make slight corrections that are about the same as when not towing, though there are 3 stages to it as the big rig makes its pass. I can add more friction to the sway control if what I'm experiencing is abnormal. Also, I have read that many people air their tires to max cold pressure, but I only went 1/3 of the way from recommended. Only some times did they feel mushy, but I'm considering adding more psi. The last thing I want to do is destabilize something that is working pretty well (as far as I know).
Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #63

I strongly recommend when you tow your trailer, air your tires to the max cold air pressure as stated on the tire. This applies to both the TV and the trailer tires. A good thing to remember--air carries the weight so take advantage of the max inflation!
Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I strongly recommend when you tow your trailer, air your tires to the max cold air pressure as stated on the tire. This applies to both the TV and the trailer tires. A good thing to remember--air carries the weight so take advantage of the max inflation!
Thanks, that seems to be the prevailing sentiment in other posts I have read too. I will try it out tomorrow. Originally, I started out with only slight adjustments for towing, which handled fine as far as my knowledge goes, so I left it. Now that we are about to make the return trip, I'm wanting to optimize my setup.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #65

You should definitely do what was just said—air your ST rated TT tires to what is stated on the yellow tag on the trailer.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
You should definitely do what was just said—air your ST rated TT tires to what is stated on the yellow tag on the trailer.
Trailer tires are right...I was referring to the tow vehicle's tires - sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #67

When I truck passes I don't feel anything really.

The one time I did have sway I could both feel and see the back end of the trailer moving side to side and tugging on the bed of the truck.

With the new truck and hitch when a truck goes by I may feel at most a bit of wind.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrick16 View Post
Enjoy!

Pat
Just a quick note, our fresh water tank is always empty...maybe just enough water for a toilet flush, but even then, unless you go number 2... you don't even need water to flush on the road. it's so rare that I have a need to fill it up I could almost go without it. You might find the same result.

Couple more notes. keep the trailer tires topped off with air, don't let them drop ever - under inflation creates more heat, and heat is the enemy of trailer tires.

Make turns WIDE... lol, it's very easy to drag a trailer over something you didn't see was about to happen.

If you've never reversed a trailer, it can take some getting used to.

Check all connections 3 times.

Keep it at 60, maybe 65 - you'll get there when you get there. Not only is this safer for the tires, it makes a huge difference in your ability to create reaction time. Biggest hazard I normally run across is debris in the road. When you run over a chunk of tire, great chance it will bounce up into the front or bottom of the trailer. (ask me how I know)

Congrats on your purchase! Still reading, not sure if you mentioned yet what you bought, but I'll keep reading.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #69

Passing trucks don't effect my trailer at all. There could be a couple of reasons for this. 1. I keep my "anti-sway" device really tight. You can hear it "moan" when doing slow turns. 2. The aero effect of the trailer. If you have a trailer that has a lot of "straight edges" like many conventional trailers that don't have a sloping front end or rounded edges I believe large vehicles and strong sidewinds will effect it. Mine is an Airstream and very "aero" effective. The only time I feel effects of wind is when a "strong gust" hits me either on the front quarters or on the sides.
Try tightening your antisway device and BESURE you don't try to back your trailer when the device is on the trailer....you will certainly "destroy" it.
I hope you all are enjoying your new trailer.
Pat
Old 07-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Molmen,

Obviously you have ALOT if advice here and nearly all of it is quite good. Also, a lot that is relative does not necessarily mean your towing experience will be exactly the same.

For instance when I was towing a TT, I did have an equalizing hitch and anti sway bars. I also had an adjustable torsion bar as part of this set up.

In my case, in backing up into a turn, as well as forward into an extreme tight turn, my torsion bar had to be removed. It simply was not conducive to such moves but absolutely essential for use in going down the road. In other words, I did not have to remove my entire anti sway set up.

I drove a 2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV and pulled a 28 foot trailer with electric trailer brakes. With my set up, I obviously had plenty of TV compared to trailer. Even so, big rig trucks could certainly shake me at times.

I found, when seeing a big truck was going to pass, by moving just a little more to the right of my lane, the impact was minimized. Also, big downhills, you FEEL that big heavy unpowered box behind you, pushing you! THAT is why you want a vehicle that CONTROLS, not the TT doing the controlling.

Also, in windy conditions, SLOW DOWN! Sorry, I just have to make that an impact. The faster you travel in windy conditions, the more the wind becomes a factor. Think of a race car getting too much air underneath the car.....it flips.

Too much air (wind force) into the side of your trailer.....and it flips. Now, I am NOT saying you are going to flip. Just when your pulling and feeling the effects of wind knocking you about or more accurately shaking you, just slow down.

I now drive a 38' diesel pusher motor home. It is worlds above my TT in terms of everything, including big trucks and wind. I pass more big trucks (always going up hills) then they pass me. But when I encounter big wind, I slow down because I too, am in a big rig with a very large profile for wind to affect.

Whether it was towing my TT or now driving my DP, when I slow down, that is it, EVERYONE else behind me can go around. If they have to wait to do so, then they have to wait. After all, your family's well being is your priority, not keeping up with traffic in bad conditions.

As stated in an earlier post, you will get better....and better. Try not to overthink it, just be aware and you will be ready as your traveling to your next camping destination.

I sincerely hope I have been if some assistance to you.

HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase