Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
One thing that was important to my wife and I when we recently upgraded our TT to a new Bullet 269RLS concerning the slide was whether or not we would have full access to the trailer when the slide is in. (We do with our new Bullet.) Why was this important to us? Because sometimes when dry camping in some places we might not want or be able to extend the slide...
That's interesting...I've never thought of that. Good to consider. Thanks!
Molmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
One thing that was important to my wife and I when we recently upgraded our TT to a new Bullet 269RLS concerning the slide was whether or not we would have full access to the trailer when the slide is in. (We do with our new Bullet.) Why was this important to us? Because sometimes when dry camping in some places we might not want or be able to extend the slide. And speaking of brands and quality—we have not had any problems with our Keystone Bullet after over a thousand miles of pulling it. Granted that's not much and I'll know more after our upcoming trip out West from Florida that will be for around 30 days and somewhere over five thousand miles. We did not want the outdoor kitchen since we tend to use our grill a lot.
Agreed. This was a major factor for choosing our 2016 Lance 1995.
My wife cant go 10mins without needing take a leak it seems some days lol. So having the ability to stop somewhere and be able just just jump in was a deciding factor.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just looked in my crystal ball. I see a new 3/4 ton pickup with a diesel engine coming your way.

You may be able to tow what the rating Ford is quoting but the most important factor is how fast can you stop in an emergency maneuver.

And you WILL have a panic stop someday.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
My wife cant go 10mins without needing take a leak it seems some days lol. So having the ability to stop somewhere and be able just just jump in was a deciding factor.

+1 LOL
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molmen View Post

The 780lb of rated capacity remaining would have to be enough to support the tongue weight of the trailer (10-15% of dry weight) + hitch weight + whatever else is to be carried in the tow vehicle, correct?
I believe that will be 10-15% of the trailer weight when fully loaded, not the dry weight.
You also stated you have a carrying capacity of 1,530#. If you add that to your 6,050# weight of your vehicle with a full gas tank it equals 7,580#. Is that the same or more than your vehicle GVWR ?
Old 06-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I believe that will be 10-15% of the trailer weight when fully loaded, not the dry weight.
You also stated you have a carrying capacity of 1,530#. If you add that to your 6,050# weight of your vehicle with a full gas tank it equals 7,580#. Is that the same or more than your vehicle GVWR ?
Oops, yes, fully loaded weight, not dry weight - good catch.

GVWR = 7520lb, so...60lb less, giving a result of

720lb for tongue weight (10-15% of fully loaded trailer, LP & battery) + hitch (~90lb) + inside cargo

...ouch!

I can't get over the lack of knowledge and/or care that salesmen seem to have for these considerations.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #21

Quote:
My wife will forego eating/drinking just to avoid gas station restrooms...
Old 06-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I just looked in my crystal ball. I see a new 3/4 ton pickup with a diesel engine coming your way.

You may be able to tow what the rating Ford is quoting but the most important factor is how fast can you stop in an emergency maneuver.

I wish it were so, but I think your crystal ball's batteries are dead, and it is showing the last poor chump's future after his poorly advised HD tow package vehicle purchase - I can't afford a separate tow vehicle and still need a kid-hauler.

I *could* bend the rules regarding weight rating, I guess, but you are on point about a panic stop.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #23

Quote:
My wife will forego eating/drinking just to avoid gas station restrooms...
I know hey! Crazy. I'm really hoping that you get the right TT for your vehicle. Safety has to be a #1.

I joined this forum almost a year before I decided which TT. I hopped and skipped and changed ships so many times until I realized what's important to OUR needs.

There is no better place for advice than here. Sure we will have differing and sometimes biased views but overall we are a cesspit of knowledge lol.

I would take my advice here than any sale person needing to make their quota that day!

Good luck, we're here for you... and remember you may be able to pull it just about. .. but can you stop it in an emergency? That is what should play on your mind.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Quote:
2016 Ford Expedition EL XLT with HD tow package and 3.5L ecoboost. After reading some other posts, I checked my carrying capacity from the door sticker -1531lb. My estimate on family weight was very conservative at 900lb (probably closer to 750lb right now), and vehicle weight of 6050lb was without driver or passengers.
You need to take your Expedition to a https://catscale.com/ and get an actual weight instead of relying on curb weights found on the Internet.

Case in point. Had a 2013 F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 with 3.31 gearing and a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine. Internet curb weight was 5,800 lbs. Actual weight (including full tank of gas and 2 adults) was 6,500 lbs.

I am assuming that your EcoBoost has the Ford integrated brake controller. It can pull a 7,000 lb TT up a hill very easily. I didn't like how the truck handled braking going down grades. Took three trips with my travel trailer and traded it in. That setup wasn't for me.

As they say in auto commercials, your mileage (or experience) may vary.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Quote:
I know hey! Crazy. I'm really hoping that you get the right TT for your vehicle. Safety has to be a #1.

I joined this forum almost a year before I decided which TT. I hopped and skipped and changed ships so many times until I realized what's important to OUR needs.

There is no better place for advice than here. Sure we will have differing and sometimes biased views but overall we are a cesspit of knowledge lol.

I would take my advice here than any sale person needing to make their quota that day!

Good luck, we're here for you... and remember you may be able to pull it just about. .. but can you stop it in an emergency? That is what should play on your mind.
Thanks for the encouragement, advice and support! I've already learned more in these exchanges than speaking with 6 salesmen and looking at countless websites and videos.

I really had my heart set on a bunkhouse with slide in it - I was looking for just a little extra space for the kids without having to convert living/dining areas at night + a separate area for downtime for them that had more floor space than just an alleyway. I've been scaling back on weight as these discussions have been progressing and was hoping my TV could handle something in the 6400lb dry-weight range (e.g., Tracer 305AIR). It seems close, but still too heavy when you consider cargo. Nut4speed seems right on at 5000-6000lb dry weight and archer75's 1000lb of cargo is probably a minimum for us who overpack already...*sigh*
Old 06-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #26

I don't see how stopping (a panic stop or normal) would be an issue. Properly adjusted trailer brakes should eliminate that as a problem.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbramsey View Post
You need to take your Expedition to a https://catscale.com/ and get an actual weight instead of relying on curb weights found on the Internet.

Case in point. Had a 2013 F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 with 3.31 gearing and a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine. Internet curb weight was 5,800 lbs. Actual weight (including full tank of gas and 2 adults) was 6,500 lbs.

I am assuming that your EcoBoost has the Ford integrated brake controller. It can pull a 7,000 lb TT up a hill very easily. I didn't like how the truck handled braking going down grades. Took three trips with my travel trailer and traded it in. That setup wasn't for me.

As they say in auto commercials, your mileage (or experience) may vary.
The 6050lb weight was actually from a nearby Pilot truck stop scale.

Yes, I have the integrated brake controller. I've never used one, but hope to have a reason to try it eventually. I'm curious why the downhill braking caused poor handling (as opposed to a non-integrated controller?).
Old 06-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I don't see how stopping (a panic stop or normal) would be an issue. Properly adjusted trailer brakes should eliminate that as a problem.
I've never towed anything that had its own brakes too, so I wondered about the same thing.

Tags
advice, purchase