Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #43

RV hauler. Thank you for the hint. I believe I have found a decently priced source for rosettes with the help of the posters here.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #44

well, we finally got the trailer/tow vehicle lights sorted today. I grabbed all the cushions and pulled up the carpet. No pictures because for some reason my camera isn't holding a charge for very long. Anyway although the vinyl flooring is in generally good condition, there is a deep burn mark just inside the door. I still think it would be worth the effort to clean and shine it and just put a good mat at the door... at least temporarily.

Hopefully we'll be able to drag it the "3" miles to home soon.

On a side note, we stopped at the local True Value and I got some nice spray paint and I asked about "miss mixed" paint. I got a gallon of a flat yellow-ish color and a quart of semi-gloss that is more of a toast color. $7.50 for both. Brought it home and "blends" nicely with the upholstery.

Overall a good day.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #45
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sylviacub,

It will never be as easy to replace the flooring than it is now. But you know the most expensive 4 words are, "while we're at it..."
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #46

Very true words. The vinyl tiles I picked out are .32 each and I know I'll have to do something eventually. I'm cautious because whatever we decide to do I have to do it frugally and light weight. Much to my husband's dismay, I kept the carpet I pulled. The carpet is in good condition, just dirty. So I may just give the carpet a good shampooing and put it back down in the threshold/lounge area for now and leave the kitchen dining area vinyl.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #47

Replacing carpet.

Give the carpet a good shampoo. Then consider putting some scotchguard carpet protector on it. Even though I have alot of vinyl flooring in my TT I rugged it to death with small throw rugs and a long piece in the center aisle. My 22 yr. old floor isn't even yellow and only has a few minor dings. Carpet feels real good in the middle of the night trip to the BR. Wax or future will give added protection to any floor. The dirt will go on the wax and be easy to clean. If you can deep clean the vinyl with a home floor machine it will give it a deep clean. Wish I lived close to you as I would help you.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #48

I forgot my Bissell came with a bottle of Scotch Guard and after I shampoo'd my MH carpet and put the machine away, I saw it on the shelf. It said to apply when the carpet is damp. Next time.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I forgot my Bissell came with a bottle of Scotch Guard and after I shampoo'd my MH carpet and put the machine away, I saw it on the shelf. It said to apply when the carpet is damp. Next time.
I was right there withyuh until we got to the word guard and then I lost interest. Started to sound like work.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #50

On my Bissel, I just have to attach the little bottle and spray. Didn't want to drag it out again just for the Scotch Guard. Does Scotch Guard really work for everything or just liquid spills?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #51
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scotchguard puts a coating on fabrics and carpets that causes them to resist absorbing liquids, but it will also cut down on the dirt that those fibers attract as well. Scotch, on the other hand, simply makes you not care if anything gets absorbed by anything other than your stomach.

Gee Dunner, I never knew you were so domestic. Do you do windows, too?
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #52

Yeah Barb, but does it really work or is it just hype to sell a product.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #53

I have two good carpet machines, but I feel it might be better to just borrow a pressure washer and really force the gunk out of the carpet. The only trouble is I am not sure I would have the strength to lift wet carpet. lol

The way Scotch Guard works is it coats the fibers with a water repellant, which in turn gives you more time to clean up spills before they penetrate the fibers, causing a stain. And if you miss the initial spill it helps keep the stain from locking into the fibers once it is dry, making it easier to shampoo when you finally find the spill.

I got all the cushions stripped yesterday and today I'll start the long process of washing the foam rubber.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #54

Let us know how all of that turns out. Should be some good entertaining reading.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was at my local Ace hardware today and they have a large selection of the plastic daisies.

Ken
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #56

Thanks for the support everyone.

I washed 2 dinette "back" cushions yesterday according to what I have read on the Web. warm water, mild detergent and a dash of cheap bleach. (not much really) I tread on them in the Tub ala Lucille Ball stomping grapes. Allowed them to soak a while and drained the water. They weren't that dirty Now, getting the water out of the cushions is another matter. I squished and squeezed and they still held water. I leaned them up against the wall of the tub and some more came out... but they still held water. I even stuffed one of them in my front load washer and did a "spin only" it still had water when I pulled it out. The other one I put on the garage on a towel. Today I'll haul them out in the sun and drape them over the line. Little buggers are heavy when wet.

Since they weren't that dirty I may just spray them with a couple drops of bleach in lots of water and call it good. I'm going to wrap them with batting when I go to to upholster them anyway.

Tags
ceiling