Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Plastic wrap for the winter?

So I'm trying to find indoor storage for my 30' Jayflight for the winter, and am not having great luck getting a reasonable price on Craigslist, etc. I ran across a guy today who wraps his TT much like a boat in white plastic and swears by it. It costs 12.50 a foot, and I can then bring it home and leave it in my driveway. The $375 is roughly what I would spend on 3 months of indoor storage (assuming I can even find it for that price). Anybody ever try this?

Thanks, Dave.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can you dry it out really well first?

Old 11-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

It's shrink wrap, it does breath...or has provision to breath in boat application and boat has many void spaces for air circulation to occur. However, shrink wrap a square box and I don't see how it can or will breath. Not good.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #4

I would be hanging damprid inside it either way so it would be dry. I never thought of breathability.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

Dave,

You also need to be sure that either it is bone dry on the outside before applying the wrap, or the wrap can breathe. Trapping moisture between the outside walls and the wrap will cause mildew/mold.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I would buy a reusable cover before I would do the plastic wrap... Or even tarps.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

storage

i would make sure that anything you cover with can breathe and

also repel water. real canvas has always worked for me on boats.

Jim
Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Boat or RV, both require vents that are easily incorporated into the shrinkwrap. I do agree, however, the are more open areas allowing boats to vent moisture. I'd go with a removable cover.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys...I'll stay away from the wrap (I was only tossing around the idea anyway)

I've already decided against those covers. For the several hundred dollars, they seem to be not worth the investment...PITA to put on and remove, and most people I speak with say they wear out after a couple seasons in one spot or another, some people say they rub in the wind, etc. Not something I want to sink $350-500 on. I'm determined to find shelter for the winter instead.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveRG View Post
Thanks for the replies guys...I'll stay away from the wrap (I was only tossing around the idea anyway)

I've already decided against those covers. For the several hundred dollars, they seem to be not worth the investment...PITA to put on and remove, and most people I speak with say they wear out after a couple seasons in one spot or another, some people say they rub in the wind, etc. Not something I want to sink $350-500 on. I'm determined to find shelter for the winter instead.
You said it would cost $350 for a storage space which you seemed willing to pay. The cover suggested would cost $350 and last how long? In one year you would be even with the board if you had to throw the cover away. Two years you are at $175 per year and so forth.
The big trick to a cover lasting long is to keep it tied down tightly so the wind doesn't move it and wear it out. You have to keep a check on the straps. Throwing clothesline up and over and tieing it down helps also.
After the first time putting the cover on is not all that difficult to do.
I have a cover for my motorhome which I put on even though it is stored inside a storage building. It keeps the MH clean and free of bird drippings if one sneaks in while someone is moving something in or out of the building.
Lynn
Old 11-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
IC2

There are some very nice covers available. They aren't the same as being garaged for the winter but will prevent lots of crud from accumulating over the winter. As far as wearing out - most wear through at rub points then the wind catches it and that little hole becomes a big one. On our 5er, there are drain spout extensions, steps, bumper ends, roof items and even the license plate that needs some bubble wrap - and this thread - gotta go and put ours to bed today, not my favorite fall job but since it looks like the last 60 degree day for a while ........
Old 11-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #12

I don't know where you are located, but have you tried mines? Up here in Ohio Pa area we have several limestone mines where you can store . I think my buddy said it was about $250 for four months. Safe secure and temp is always 56 degrees. Something to look into. Oh and very safe as it has only one entrance and exit that is guarded 24/7
Old 11-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I don't bother to cover mine. It sits in my driveway where I can keep an eye on it. If we get too much snow gathering on the roof (12"+) I'll broom some off. What worries me is if I do have a bunch of snow on the roof and then they forecast a big rain event, I don't want all that snow absorbing the weight of the rain on the roof. I keep the exterior surface well waxed so I don't get a whole lot of grim from the winter storage period.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #14

Thanks again all,
Found a barn about 2 miles from me for $100 per month...

Tags
winter