Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #15

The Dexter website has all the information you need to spec a replacement axle: Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - RESOURCE LIBRARY Once on the website, the top menu box lists "axle measurement". That pdf is quite detailed and complete.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #16

My blood presssure just rose a notch! I promise, "gentle" is the key.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #17

if it were me, i would tear down the boat house if you can. that wold give you unemcumbered access to do what you want. barring that. i would use channel dollies. i had my camp a mobile home get blown off its pillars several years ago by a violent storm. i found and hired a guy who ( along with 1 helper ) jacked and cribbed my trailer back up and placed steel beams under it. they let it down on these channel dollies and PUSHED it into position by HAND...and I am talking a 14 x 65 foot trailer filled! here's a couple of links to show you what i am talking about...

I-Beam Dollies

Bull Dollies

you might look for guys who set up mobile homes and see what they would charge you or rent the equipment. you get the right guys and they will walk that baby out of there like it was you pet coon hound.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #18
CD

You are getting a lot of interesting ideas. Hope something works for you.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
You are getting a lot of interesting ideas. Hope something works for you.
Hey CD...
I think made2care should just tell us the date he is going to move "Sleeping Beauty" ...and for the cost of a case of something from the "amber food group," given the interest from so many ...he could probably Git-r-Done!
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #20

I managed to contact a mobile home outfit and they gave me a great estimate for jacking her up enough to place axle on. I agree in terms of removing the boathouse. will keep you updated.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
I managed to contact a mobile home outfit and they gave me a great estimate for jacking her up enough to place axle on. I agree in terms of removing the boathouse. will keep you updated.
Good for you! ...Let the professionals do the job with the right tools.

Not worth jeopardizing your health nor the risk of dropping your
"princess" during the "first dance". I'm betting the glass slipper will fit your Cinderella ...and you will live happily ever after!
Take care,
Jim
Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #22

The trailer looks very simmilar to the thailer on the picture below (I'm not expert on vintage trailers):

marcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
GPW

How do they tow those big trailers with just a station wagon .... Must have been some big motor in it ...???
Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #24
CD

I don't think it is heavy as it appears. First, the angle of the picture. Second, it is a single axle and finally, they didn't have all the goodies that we think we have to have. That looks like a 56 Chev and it probably had a V8. In those days 35/40 was not a bad speed when towing. 50 wasn't bad at all.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I believe that is a 56 Chrysler or some other MoPar (Dodge, DeSoto) ...definitely not a Chevy. And, yes, those big block V-8s with upgraded carbs could crank out some horses.
Nice looking rig and car.
Jim
Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Correction...
See the link below. Looks like a 1959 DeSoto 9-Passenger Fireflite Wagon. It is near the bottom of the page on the link.
Jim

A Picture Review of the Chrysler Corporation from 1950 to1959
Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
How do they tow those big trailers with just a station wagon .... Must have been some big motor in it ...???
That used to be a common combination back when camping was really camping. Trailers were not that heavy,as opposed to todays luxury-loaded trailers. A 26' trailer was considered quite long then too. Of course they did have equalizing hitches back then. Climbing a hill was much different, pulling down to 30mph near the top was normal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #28
GPW

I'm such an Old timer (geezer) .. I can remember when U hauls had a sticker that said not to drive above 45 mph ... Now I see guys passing me with trailers on the Hwy. doing 70-80mph .. Then they complain about their mileage ...
I still tow my 20' Jayco under 55mph ... no problems , and decent mileage with my 6 cyl. Silverado ..

I sure miss those whopping big motors.... and 20 cents a gallon gas...