Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

please help!!

I just purchased a 1948 spartan manor 25 which has no axle, springs, etc,etc.
i am needing to verify axle measurements in order to purchase a new axle along with springs and so forth. If you can help or know of someone who can help in any way, i would greatly appreciate it. I am needing the axle to remove her from location, where she has been sleeping for 60 years under a boathouse. Fascinating , isn't it??!

Thanks again.

Tim also known as "Greeff the Great"
made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome madetocare to irv2.
Here is a link about how to build from scratch.
Here is a link for trailer frames.
They will give you some idea of what you will need to do to get your box on top.
You can get more info on Goggle for higher frame weights which you will need for the weight of your RV to be.
It will be interesting how you will move it to a location to do that.
Have reconditioned slide-ins for on truck for son but yours will be something new to tackle.
Good luck on your project keep us posted.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
CD

Can it be loaded on a trailer? You may be able to jack it up and back a trailer under it to get it to where you can work on it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

It's on a slope, inside a boathouse, therefore very limited unless I tear the boathouse down which would jeopardize the skin. I have 20 " to work with which could possibly be enough to sneak an axle under. This is definitely an adventure unlike any other experience.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
CD

I'm thinking like an old Farmer now. I don't have a very good mental picture of what you are working with but I'm wondering if putting a couple of skids under it and pulling it out where you have more room would be easier than putting an axle on. After it's out then decide if you want put an axle on or load it on something.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
I'm thinking like an old Farmer now. I don't have a very good mental picture of what you are working with but I'm wondering if putting a couple of skids under it and pulling it out where you have more room would be easier than putting an axle on. After it's out then decide if you want put an axle on or load it on something.
I'm with CD... Do you have room to excavate a gentle slope down to the boathouse... then skid it out and low-boy it to your worksite?

You need some GOSBs ...Good 'Ol Southern Boys ...with 4-wheel drive pick-um up trucks (Cowboy Cadillac's) ...add a case of something from the "amber food group" to quench their thirst and make them even more resouceful (and arguably more likely to do something which will be talked about for years to come in your neck of the woods) ...as they ponder RedNeck Engineering Marvels. Their motto is: "Hey, Y'all... We gonna do something, even if it's RIGHT!"

Annnnywaaaay... I'm picturing some elevation and grade from the land down to a lakeside or river bank. But maybe not.

How about shooting some pictures from different angles and put some kind of "marker" in the shots ...like a garbage can to give us perspective on size/dimension/degree of slope, etc. I'll bet you an answer is out there somewhere. It may even be a good answer.
Good luck!
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Thanks guys

I really appreciate the creative input. I will try an attach some photos. One of the "Good old boys" that live in the area initially suggested placing an axle under her, then he changed his mind to your plan. He thought by placing some 4 " pipe under and pulling out with a backhoe might work, the issue I have here is the deck might give way and then we would really have a mess!! To give you an idea of what degree of slope I am working with, she sits parrallel to the slope with about 3 ' block on one side and 1' on the other side(not end). I live 4 hrs away and would prefer to drop off the axle, have it fitted and then pick up in a couple of weeks. Pulling it out with skids of sorts or pipe would be easier in terms of not having to be too concerned with the boathouse structure. Will continue at the drawing board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5366   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer4.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	5367  

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	5368   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	5369  

Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
GPW

Quote: " would prefer to drop off the axle, have it fitted and then pick up in a couple of weeks." That does sound like the easiest way eh ? .... hahahaha Let somebody else do it ..

Sure is a pretty example , just begging for a good restoration ...
How's the inside ..???
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy the skin really looks in great shape. Should be a dandy is you can get her out in one piece. That post on the one side that is to close to the tt. Can it not be moved by putting a temp. post and beam a couple of feet off to the side giving you more room? Wouldn't be much trouble and give you the room you need...Good luck..Happy Trails.
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #10

inside

The inside is in great condition and the 60 year old dirt on the outside has protected her. I think I will just take a match to the boathouse and go from the there.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
I really appreciate the creative input. I will try an attach some photos. One of the "Good old boys" that live in the area initially suggested placing an axle under her, then he changed his mind to your plan. He thought by placing some 4 " pipe under and pulling out with a backhoe might work, the issue I have here is the deck might give way and then we would really have a mess!! To give you an idea of what degree of slope I am working with, she sits parrallel to the slope with about 3 ' block on one side and 1' on the other side(not end). I live 4 hrs away and would prefer to drop off the axle, have it fitted and then pick up in a couple of weeks. Pulling it out with skids of sorts or pipe would be easier in terms of not having to be too concerned with the boathouse structure. Will continue at the drawing board.
Hey Tim!... That's a really great looking antique TT! From your pictures and description of things, I have some observations...

You want to FINESSE that trailer out from her place of settlement. ...As opposed to simply hooking up to her and dragging her out of there.

She needs to be tenderly and lovingly "seduced" into coming out from that shelter. Otherwise, irreparable... and I do mean "not repairable" damage may result.

The backhoe may be the tool of choice, but only in the hands of a skilled operator who can gently take her hand (actually, her tongue ...Oh, Gosh!! ) and "lead" her do something she has not done in a long, long time. She will be reluctant, to be sure. (The pretty ones always are... )

A certain amount of preparation is in order... think of it as foreplay in this process of the seduction of an awakened princess. (Poetic, ain't it?)

...She needs to be as light on her feet as you can make her...
Whatever is inside her that CAN be removed needs to be removed. It will surprise you how much weight you can relieve from her fragile frame by taking out EVERYTHING that is not attached ...and some of the things that can be detached with a little effort.

I noticed an AC unit of the roof. You need to evaluate whether it will damage the trailer if you leave it there... not only from a top clearance standpoint, but from "bouncing" and flexing the roof spars as you transport her. She may be solid as a rock ...but if there has been any leakage, the framing around the unit could give way and do considerable damage as the unit dislodges ...also damaging any thing below.

You should evaluate the advantage of temporarily "cross-bracing" the inside with lightweight 2x4s to make her safer to move. Simple things like truck innertubes can be inflated in certain places to provide support ...no additional weight and lots of strength if padded against sharp edges with cardboard.

There appears to be a pretty good-sized tree to the the front of the trailer. You may be able to anchor a "come-a-long" cable pull at the base of that tree and very slowly finesse her... an inch at a time.

Do not underestimate the utility of a couple of good 16' 2 X 10 "sleeper" boards, placed in line with the frame rails, greased with Crisco (a cheap temporary lubricant ...easy to wash off) to skid her along to where she can be lifted to transport. You could even use those batter boards as a ramp up to a low trailer ...using the come-a-long anchored to the low-boy tongue.

Please consider the possibility of structural failure of the boat house, the decking and even the trailer itself. Do not allow anyone to get under anything that is not safely supported.

Depending upon the local flora and fauna... I don't know what is indigenous to your area ...but down here in Florida, you would need to watch out for snakes, spiders, wasps, poison oak ...and may a gator or two. Be alert.

Man... I wish I could be there! I am already "smitten" by her...
I bid you good luck, friend,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
CD

Some more advice from the old Farmer. Several years ago I had a 12’ X50’ mobile home to move enough to get a MH truck hooked on to it. It had a 14X28 room built against one side and a garage in front of the tongue to close to get anything in to hook on to it. It had to be moved sideways about 8’ and back about 10’. I used 2 layers of 2X6’s near each end and several pieces of pipe between the boards to move it to side. Then I turned one pair of boards lengthwise under the tongue and moved it back. Then I was able to hook up my tractor and get it positioned for the truck. What I would consider on yours is to jack up one end enough to put a board across from one block to the one on the other side keeping the TT level. Then do the same on the other end. Then jacking up one side, add boards as described above and the same on the other side. Be sure to anchor the TT so it can’t move before you want it to. You will no doubt need more than one set of bottom boards depending on how far you need to move it. Be sure to support the middle of the boards so they don’t break. If you are going to load on a trailer maybe you can dig down for the upper wheel to make trailer level or both wheels to be same height as TT. If you want to install axle maybe you could fill lower side to make a level area to work on. Just some food for thought.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like you could roll it out on a series of logs, sized just right. Work it down the slope slowly Then install an axle system and tow it.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't have any photos, because I was the one doing the work, but I did move one of those trailers without an axle under it.
I jacked up one side of the trailer, put several (about 20 altogether) sheets of 3/4" plywood on the ground, and set the trailer on some heavy duty dollies. Then I repeated the process on the other side. The plywood spread the weight of the trailer so the dollies didn't sink into the dirt. Just make sure the plywood overlaps at the end away from the direction you're pulling it, so the dollies don't catch the edges of the plywood. You'll need some friends to help steer the trailer as you pull it, to make sure it doesn't crab sideways. After you get the trailer out, you can jack it up and put an axle and springs under it.
Depending on how much "junque'" is in it, it should weigh less than 4,000 pounds.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote